ADVERTISEMENT

The morning after, Lunardi, and metrics.

Pitt666

Scholarship
Feb 19, 2024
So late last night, Lunardi dropped us….all the way down…..1 spot to the last of this next four out. He did raise Wake up. Pitt also gained a Q1 win since their net hit 26, but lost NCST as they dropped to 80. Either way, we likely now want them to beat Duke. Our best hope likely lies with Virginia crashing down the stretch.

Torvik had a game rating of 15 last night for Pitt (worse than home loss to Cuse) and score of 99 for Wake (nearly as well as you can). Put them together and you get a 8-9 drop in Ken Pom, Torvik, and Net(47 to 56), but still within range.

VT will be tough. Pitt should be favored by 2. It’s a must win for both teams. But hold court and live on to fight another day. They can lose out and likely still make NIT automatically with their net, pending no more blow outs.

Last edited:
So late last night, Lunardi dropped us….all the way down…..1 spot to the last of this next four out. He did raise Wake up. Pitt also gained a Q1 win since their net hit 26, but lost NCST as they dropped to 80. Either way, we likely now want them to beat Duke. Our best hope likely lies with Virginia crashing down the stretch.

Torvik had a game rating of 15 last night for Pitt (worse than home loss to Cuse) and score of 99 for Wake (nearly as well as you can). Put them together and you get a 8-9 drop in Ken Pom, Torvik, and Net(47 to 56), but still within range.

VT will be tough. Pitt should be favored by 2. It’s a must win for both teams. But hold court and live on to fight another day. They can lose out and likely still make NIT automatically with their net, pending no more blow outs.

Comes down to defending the 3 again. Cattoor and Nickel are both shooting 42.86%, which is 14 th in the nation, one spot behind Hinson. And Pedulla shoots 35% and he can get streaky. Unless we are really cold, I dont see VT beating us without making a lot of 3s. That's their game.

Comes down to defending the 3 again. Cattoor and Nickel are both shooting 42.86%, which is 14 th in the nation, one spot behind Hinson. And Pedulla shoots 35% and he can get streaky. Unless we are really cold, I dont see VT beating us without making a lot of 3s. That's their game.
You'd have to think Hinson is going to play better but there is now a blueprint on film on how to get him frustrated. My guess is Mike Young will implement a similar strategy.

They switched every screen high and made him into a post only guy. That frustrated him to begin with. It was a brilliantly executed plan.

I would actually iso Hinson more in the post. He has a surprisingly good step-through post move that looks like he walks every single time. I dont think VT can switch every screen though because then you wind up with Pedulla or Cattoor on him.

I would actually iso Hinson more in the post. He has a surprisingly good step-through post move that looks like he walks every single time. I dont think VT can switch every screen though because then you wind up with Pedulla or Cattoor on him.
and if you have a guy who can help off on the post because our bigs won't even look to score you would still switch high on that and make Hinson a driver. Like you said, he looks like he walks every time because it is probably a walk. That's how I'd think everyone would play him the rest of the season.

Reactions: Millerton24
He is not a good post player. No control inside, outside the occasional circus shot. Also, once inside he tends to miss the opportunity to find the wide open teammate.

He is not a good post player. No control inside, outside the occasional circus shot. Also, once inside he tends to miss the opportunity to find the wide open teammate.

It depends who is on him. His conversion rate on post-ups is near 100% recently.

Once he gets the ball in the post, it's not coming out of his hands. I'd take making him a post player and having him shoot contested frustrated 2's all day if I'm the other team.

Reactions: 303vND

When he drives the lane, he looks like a bull in a china closet. Mostly out of control, running over people, and chucking up shots in hopes of getting fouled. Hinson's game is outside the arc.

Once he gets the ball in the post, it's not coming out of his hands. I'd take making him a post player and having him shoot contested frustrated 2's all day if I'm the other team.
Of course you would. It would be taking away what he does best. I guess maybe they could try that as a change of pace and make the other team think about it, but voluntarily taking Hinson away from what he does best strikes me as insane.

Of course you would. It would be taking away what he does best. I guess maybe they could try that as a change of pace and make the other team think about it, but voluntarily taking Hinson away from what he does best strikes me as insane.
Capel has to devise some better sets because best believe other teams will replicate Wake's game plan on Hinson.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Hinson driving the lane is a lot like a dog that kind of knows how to swim but isn’t exactly confident in the mechanics. He knows what he should be doing but it is very very unsmooth.

Capel says, "We were bad". I guess he's trying to be nice. That was one of the worst performances by a Pitt basketball team since the winless ACC Stallings season. 30+ point defeat to a team that has a similar record to us but apparently is clearly a lot better than us. I'm just hoping Capel can light a fire under these guys and they learn something from it.

They're going to need to play almost flawlessly for the remainder of the season to have any shot at the NCAAT at all. VT won't be easy and if they play like they did last night, VT will beat them by 20+.

Capel has to devise some better sets because best believe other teams will replicate Wake's game plan on Hinson.
Well sure. I would guess any team needs to evolve to some extent. But Hinson's not a post player and never will be. Again a little bit for a change - sure give it a shot. But shooters shoot and that’s what he is.

Bottom line if you have 3-4 other players making shots with any consistency whatsoever it’s does matter

Last night was comical in terms of missed shots and it went on all game.

Lowe was about the only person hitting anything with regularity

So if VT is focused on Hinson but everyone else is hitting shots I’m not sure it matters

Capel says, "We were bad". I guess he's trying to be nice. That was one of the worst performances by a Pitt basketball team since the winless ACC Stallings season. 30+ point defeat to a team that has a similar record to us but apparently is clearly a lot better than us. I'm just hoping Capel can light a fire under these guys and they learn something from it.

They're going to need to play almost flawlessly for the remainder of the season to have any shot at the NCAAT at all. VT won't be easy and if they play like they did last night, VT will beat them by 20+.
Last night is not even our worst performance of the season. That was Duke at home.

Well sure. I would guess any team needs to evolve to some extent. But Hinson's not a post player and never will be. Again a little bit for a change - sure give it a shot. But shooters shoot and that’s what he is.
You don't run him to the post - that's my point. You have to devise ways to get him the ball in space or in a shooting posture. Posting him up his virtually useless.

You don't run him to the post - that's my point. You have to devise ways to get him the ball in space or in a shooting posture. Posting him up his virtually useless.

You dont do it often but a few times a game, they should. He's like 10 for his last 10 in the post.

You have to look at it as one game. This isn't the first time a team switched screens on Hinson. Wake was swarming on defense, and made everything on offense. Pitt wasnt making shots. It happens. They're undefeated at home for a reason.

Need to pick it up against VT. If I'm confident in anyone rebounding from last game, it's Hinson.

Reactions: Parkview57
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT