ADVERTISEMENT

Big Pretend

Will the Big Pretend Ever Win Anything Outside of the Media Wars?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

FireballZ

Senior
Jan 3, 2016
If the Big Pretend steals FSU and Clemson, in addition to the new PAC teams, will they be able to improve their average over the past 35 years of winning a national title every 20 years or so in football and basketball? If so, will their fans spend less time on Pitt message boards as a result?

Clemson isn't ending up in the Big Ten. And ultimately, the conference exists to make money more than it does to win national titles. They are laughing all the way to the bank, and the road to the bank is paved with the corpses of schools that would give up their souls to join.

Oh, what could have been.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
I don’t see them performing much better even with the additions. They embarrass themselves every year in the postseason and it will continue.

I don’t see them performing much better even with the additions. They embarrass themselves every year in the postseason and it will continue.
They are embarrassing themselves with, what, nearly $80 million payouts to each member, every year? Or is it more? And a line to get in that stretches across the country? I doubt they feel any shame.

Reactions: Phillypanther2
If the Big Pretend steals FSU and Clemson, in addition to the new PAC teams, will they be able to improve their average over the past 35 years of winning a national title every 20 years or so in football and basketball? If so, will their fans spend less time on Pitt message boards as a result?

You kind of suck at math.

Since 1980 (so 44 years... or just start from 1990 if you please):

Penn State - 1982
Penn State - 1986
Nebraska - 1994
Nebraska - 1995
Michigan and Nebraska - 1997
Ohio State - 2002
USC - 2003
USC - 2004
Ohio State - 2014

I know they weren't all in the BIG at the time, but at least three were since 1997.

Penn State - 1982
Penn State - 1986
Nebraska - 1994
Nebraska - 1995
Ohio State - 2002
USC - 2003
USC - 2004
Ohio State - 2014

I know they weren't all in the BIG at the time, but at least three were since 1997.

This might be a seanmillerfan dumb type of post. Good grief.

This might be a seanmillerfan dumb type of post. Good grief.

Bro, no matter what metric you want to use, three BIG teams have unequivocally won a national championship since 1997. To call that "once every 20 years or so in the last 35 years" is objectively stupid.

... But you're the only person on this board who didn't want to part ways with Cignetti, so it makes sense that you would be drawn to that like a horsefly on a rancid turd.

They are embarrassing themselves with, what, nearly $80 million payouts to each member, every year? Or is it more? And a line to get in that stretches across the country? I doubt they feel any shame.
Performance. Yeah they have money but it hasn’t translated to national championships.

How’s this end you’re screwed should have listened to paterno
Paturdo started all this realignment BS along time ago with st penn joining a Midwestern Conference(Big10). Also he had a whim to coach in a rose bowl.
Paturdo and Jerry etc were disgraces to the game along with others that are still employed up there. Dottie should be in jail as well. Sick F'ers.

Penn State - 1982
Penn State - 1986
Nebraska - 1994
Nebraska - 1995
Ohio State - 2002
USC - 2003
USC - 2004
Ohio State - 2014

The Big 12 should get the credit for the 1997 Nebraska national championship. And Nebraska won the other 2 in the Big 8, and the Big 12 is the successor to the Big 8. Heck, I'd argue the Mountain West now as the spiritual successor the Pac 10/12 has more of a claim to the USC championships as opposed to the Big 10.

Penn State - 1982
Penn State - 1986
Nebraska - 1994
Nebraska - 1995
Ohio State - 2002
USC - 2003
USC - 2004
Ohio State - 2014

You can also add three more if FSU ends up in the Big Ten, and perhaps even more with further expansion. You can think that conference is overrated all you want, but they’re inevitably going to win more championships given that we’re headed towards a Big Ten/SEC invitational.

Penn State - 1982
Penn State - 1986
Nebraska - 1994
Nebraska - 1995
Ohio State - 2002
USC - 2003
USC - 2004
Ohio State - 2014

The Big Ten only won 2 outright NC's in 44 years? Wow, that is crazy low

Did Clemson win those National titles or did the ACC? Conference pride when you are not the one winning is stupid

The whole conference pride thing in general is silly. I see Pitt fans and WVU fans getting into it over conferences they've both been in for like 9% of their history. Are people really that loyal to the ACC? All I ever see is people (myself included) talking smack on it and its southern bias.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
Pitt should be playing more teams in the midwest , not soo much to the east or the south anymore.
Pitt needs a new identity. Has recruiting picked up ? What is that anymore really .
Each Pitt fans gets an opinion right ?
ah, each day I care less and less.

Reactions: Las Panteras
The whole conference pride thing in general is silly. I see Pitt fans and WVU fans getting into it over conferences they've both been in for like 9% of their history. Are people really that loyal to the ACC? All I ever see is people (myself included) talking smack on it and its southern bias.
I don’t think the ACC is anything special. But I often have to educate big ten fans that they are mostly hype and rarely win on national stage.

I don’t think the ACC is anything special. But I often have to educate big ten fans that they are mostly hype and rarely win on national stage.

It's always going to be a bit overrated because of its enrollment numbers. It probably has as many living alums as all other power conferences combined. But I think Pitt fans take it a little too far in the other direction at times.

It's always going to be a bit overrated because of its enrollment numbers. It probably has as many living alums as all other power conferences combined. But I think Pitt fans take it a little too far in the other direction at times.
Every fan of a big ten team
I know is the same with how great the conference is. It’s all pretty dumb. The SEC is the only football conference that should puff out their chest.

I had to educate an Ohio state fan the other day about big ten performance in postseason basketball and football. I think he was genuinely shocked because he had no idea how overrated they are.

This is their best chance with 2 time cheating and caught Michigan. They will have to vacate before its over, but recruited during covid when not allowed, them stole signs ala Belicheat. Both benefitted this team.

A Pitt fan "educating" an OSU fan about football performance is stupid
“Conference performance.” Obviously Ohio state is light years ahead of Pitt individually. But he had no idea that the Big Ten is a joke statistically in the postseason in football and basketball.

Ohio state has carried the big ten for provably 20+ years as the only nationally relevant team. Michigan is getting there but they have also been embarrassed in playoff thus far.

Performance. Yeah they have money but it hasn’t translated to national championships.
No question. I'm sure the head coaches aren't happy. But everybody else is. That is big-time money win or lose.

Now, it's clearly true that the Big Ten just isn't going to win as many national championships as the SEC. They can lure some of those big-time southern athletes up north, but it will never be enough. Just more of the Jimmies/Joes being the most important thing.

There would still be a bunch against it, Who would then give not very good reasons why.

And the second we joined it and went 5-7, they would be claiming Narduzzi did a hell of a job almost getting to a bowl in the most difficult conference of all time.

It's the same thing every damn year with JoeyDavid and Kool-aid Guzzlers (pretty punk, eh?). If you said Slovis sucked you didn't know what you were talking about. Until he actually left, then he was the source of all the problems. If you didn't like Cignetti you were a fool. Until he was out, now we finally got rid of the root of our issues. And, now, the BIG absolutely blows... until we join it, on which case it will be more difficult than the AFC.

Goalposts accumulate a lot of travel points on this board.

Penn State - 1982
Penn State - 1986
Nebraska - 1994
Nebraska - 1995
Ohio State - 2002
USC - 2003
USC - 2004
Ohio State - 2014

Notice Anything after 2014??? No team North of The Mason Dixon Line will ever win a NC again. Now I say “Never” Maybe 1 every 20 years…..

An oldie but goodie thread.
The Big ten needed that win badly last night. They have been embarrassed over and over on the national stage. Just look at their football and basketball national championships this century.

We’ll see if they can keep it up going forward. Big win for them finally last night though.

🤣🤣🤣🤣

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT