ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Cowher

Oct 25, 2021
They're honoring him at the NC State game tonight. Only NC State player in the NFL Hall of Fame, which is hard to believe (they mentioned Torry Holt will get there).

Anyway...

He still leads NC State in tackles in a season and was the team MVP in 1979. My question is... did Pitt make much of a run at him? Not sure if anyone knows the story with that.

Reactions: Burgh15 and cbpitt2
They're honoring him at the NC State game tonight. Only NC State player in the NFL Hall of Fame, which is hard to believe (they mentioned Torry Holt will get there).

Anyway...

He still leads NC State in tackles in a season and was the team MVP in 1979. My question is... did Pitt make much of a run at him? Not sure if anyone knows the story with that.
Let me check and I’ll get back to you…. Seriously….

Anyway...

I've never heard of him being recruited by Pitt, but at that time Pitt’s talent level was very high.

I've never heard of him being recruited by Pitt, but at that time Pitt’s talent level was very high.

Yeah, I was wondering if he wasn't seen as Pitt material or something at the time. I actually thought he might have moved (I knew he was from Crafton originally) at some point, but it looks like he indeed play in the WPIAL. It looks like NC State was a decent team around that time... which led me to my next discovery: They have ONE double digit win season in 118 years. That's amazing to me.

Cowher was not recruited by Pitt. In the Cowher book that came out in the past year he gave an emotional speech before the bowl game in 1978 and said how Pitt didn’t recruit him and he supported those guys growing up by going to games and was ignored as a football player.

Armstrong remains terrible looking now for a couple seasons at this point

So typical of yinzers then and now, one and two star talent feels entitled to be given offers to Pitt, four or five (and increasingly, three) turn their nose up at Pitt. No win situation with local recruiting now, really

Anyway...

guessing he was not of the quality of player Pitt recruited in '75..

How Cowher ended up at NC State is a good story.

He camped at Maryland, the cream of the ACC at the time, and left not impressing the staff. Cowher sat next to a Wolfpack assistant on his flight home and the two started chatting. When Cowher said he was coming back from the camp the assistant thought “if this kid is good enough for Maryland, then he’s good enough for us.”

Holtz ended up in the Cowher household on a recruiting visit and the rest is history.

The WPIAL was a different animal back then. I doubt he was all-WPIAL, even, although I'm not certain.

Played against those Carlynton teams back then, and to be honest, I don't remember that we even mentioned him much.

With respect to there being less talent in WPIAL, I think shrinking population/less families in the region has to have something to do with it. What was the class size at Carlynton back then versus now? I see Cowher is listed as being 6'3"-6'4" ... I'm willing to bet there are no 6'3"-6'4" inch linebackers on Carlynton's football team right now.

I don’t know how he (or Bradshaw) are still on those network pregame shows. They’ve slipped really badly on the last couple years. Brad can still be kind of funny on occasion in his trademark buffoonish way, at least. Cowher’s just dour, and voice is just unpleasant to listen to.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT