ADVERTISEMENT

Bill Hillgrove

Maybe, the only help he needs is an Uber number. At 80, if he prefers to drink then he darn well ought to drink.
Usually, when it gets to that point it's no longer a preference, it's an addiction. So, help is most likely needed.

A quote in the PG

“That car got away from me,” Mr. Hillgrove told police, according to the affidavit. “I’m telling you the car just got away from me.”

So that explains it. Goofy car. Probably a lemon.
He drives an Audi 100S? Who knew?

I'm not advocating drinking and driving; I think it's one of the most dangerous things one can do, but, I don't see why a good attorney wouldn't be able to get Bill free from the charge of DUI.

The police didn't test his BAC until they arrived at his house, after he got back home. All the attorney has to say is there's no way to prove Bill didn't start pounding beers once he got back home, after the incident.

He was seen, "weaving on the sidewalk", while going into the store, according to onlookers, but that doesn't prove he was under the influence. Lot's of 80 year olds have issues walking.

Without a BAC test at the scene of the crime, there's no way to prove he was under the influence while driving.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/21/pitt-football-radio-voice-bill-hillgrove-dui/

Last edited:
I have a question for @Pitt1975. Are the loner cars insured by the dealership, or by the driver who the dealership loans it to? Or, does the school pay for insurance of loaner cars?

I ask because in the article, it said Bill didn't have an insurance card for the car because it was a dealer vehicle.

"Hillgrove told police he was not asked to show insurance information on scene, noting that he did not have his insurance card available because he was driving a dealer vehicle."

I am also assuming this car was a loaner as a perk for being an employee of the University associated with the Athletic Department, and not a dealer car he had because his personal car was being worked on.

https://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/06/21/pitt-football-radio-voice-bill-hillgrove-dui/

I'm not advocating drinking and driving; I think it's one of the most dangerous things one can do, but, I don't see why a good attorney wouldn't be able to get Bill free from the charge of DUI.

The police didn't test his BAC until they arrived at his house, after he got back home. All the attorney has to say is there's no way to prove Bill didn't start pounding beers once he got back home, after the incident.

He was seen, "weaving on the sidewalk", while going into the store, according to onlookers, but that doesn't prove he was under the influence. Lot's of 80 year olds have issues walking.

Without a BAC test at the scene of the crime, there's no way to prove he was under the influence while driving.

Except alcohol is linear kinetics-
They can determine your bac hours after To determine how drunk you were
Hint - driving into and out of a store -
Pretty much tells ya

Except alcohol is linear kinetics-
They can determine your bac hours after To determine how drunk you were
Hint - driving into and out of a store -
Pretty much tells ya
Besides, whatever the details of doubt that a lawyer can dream up, it’s the optics that will be the ultimate decision maker.

Except the paper reported that Hillgrove admitted to drinking prior to driving. He owned it.

Leaving the scene of an accident is nothing compared to a DUI. Cops show up at your house and you’re drinking shots. “I was so upset I freaked and needed a few drinks to settle down.” Doesn’t matter what you blow, they can’t prove you were driving drunk.

Except the paper reported that Hillgrove admitted to drinking prior to driving. He owned it.

Leaving the scene of an accident is nothing compared to a DUI. Cops show up at your house and you’re drinking shots. “I was so upset I freaked and needed a few drinks to settle down.” Doesn’t matter what you blow, they can’t prove you were driving drunk.

I didn't realize he admitted to drinking before driving. That does change things.

I do hope he gets the help he needs, and realizes how lucky he is that he only hit a building, and not a person.

I didn't realize he admitted to drinking before driving. That does change things.

I do hope he gets the help he needs, and realizes how lucky he is that he only hit a building, and not a person.

My two cents mean nothing but he's turning 80 in November. He could have just taken cough syrup and still messed up and hit the store. I had a very similar situation with my father-in-law. Just don't have as sharp reflexes and may not have family willing to do for him. If he was day drinking, that just makes it more chaotic.

We've all probably driven when we shouldn't have. Especially the older guys. This ended up being relatively harmless but it could have been quite tragic. I have many fond memories of Bill calling games but he's definitely seen better days.

I have a question for @Pitt1975. Are the loner cars insured by the dealership, or by the driver who the dealership loans it to? Or, does the school pay for insurance of loaner cars?

I ask because in the article, it said Bill didn't have an insurance card for the car because it was a dealer vehicle.

"Hillgrove told police he was not asked to show insurance information on scene, noting that he did not have his insurance card available because he was driving a dealer vehicle."

I am also assuming this car was a loaner as a perk for being an employee of the University associated with the Athletic Department, and not a dealer car he had because his personal car was being worked on.

When Gattuso was my coach in the wheels of support program, Pitt self insured. Same was when I had Mike Norvell. Then I’m guessing around 2015, Pitt wanted the dealers to insure, so I quit the program for a year. Then they started using state “pool” cars, and all I did was donate, and really didn’t have a coaching contact. So my guess is this one is on Bill’s Honda Dealer....ouch. My last year was 2018, so it might have changed, but I doubt it.....hope this helps.
I was in the program for almost 30 years. Steve Petro originally signed me up....long time ago.....

Reactions: RaleighPittFan
Bill should have had either a dealer plate card, or the dealer might have done a lease and put a normal plate on it. Either way, he should have had some registration. I always had a; all vehicles owned, dealer plate registration, for my demo’s.

When Gattuso was my coach in the wheels of support program, Pitt self insured. Same was when I had Mike Norvell. Then I’m guessing around 2015, Pitt wanted the dealers to insure, so I quit the program for a year. Then they started using state “pool” cars, and all I did was donate, and really didn’t have a coaching contact. So my guess is this one is on Bill’s Honda Dealer....ouch. My last year was 2018, so it might have changed, but I doubt it.....hope this helps.
I was in the program for almost 30 years. Steve Petro originally signed me up....long time ago.....
Thanks. I appreciate the info.

Reactions: Pitt1975

I’m not sure this is accurate...but I’m also not 100% sure saying this

I have a buddy who always tells a story where the cops got him at his house post-driving and charged him with a DUI

This has been tried many times. I bet it worked back in the day but not so much anymore and if you think an actual judge will be fooled by this story you will be in for a rude awakening.

They will bring you in for a blood test and slap the charge on you.

Usually once folks sober up and the legal reality sets in they take the smart route and just plead guilty.

If you got the budget and don't mind lying to everyone...cops, witnesses, prosecutors, and judges....maybe you can beat the charge.

Last edited:

This is simply untrue. He can be convicted without a BAC test. Now, if he were to choose a jury trial and convince them he imbibed after getting home, or if they merely wanted to let him off, that’s one thing, but there is sufficient evidence to convict.

Didn’t see this news til today. It’s sad. From what I have heard, this is not his first and could be number three, at least.

From what I have heard, this is not his first and could be number three, at least.

Well, he has been driving for 64 years.

That's 23,400 days...

He's a Pitt fan and he has been sober 99.998% of the time so far as we know.

Last edited:

If I'm the judge I would say...
'Ok Bill so you're that bad of a driver BEFORE drinking?" and take away his license because of it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT