ADVERTISEMENT

Another classic Oakland establishment closing

Is there even anything left in Oakland these days? Soon you’ll have to take a bus to Shadyside or downtown to do just about anything!

Is there even anything left in Oakland these days? Soon you’ll have to take a bus to Shadyside or downtown to do just about anything!

I've been to the creamery several times and it was no comparison, Dave & Andy's was so much better. They started the whole "cold stone" thing by adding mixings into the ice cream way before Cold Stone was ever in business.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I've been to the creamery several times and it was no comparison, Dave & Andy's was so much better. They started the whole "cold stone" thing by adding mixings into the ice cream way before Cold Stone was ever in business.
Did they have Peachy Paterno?

It really is overrated. Plus, the use too many ingredients in their ice cream for something that is supposed to be fresh.

Compare the ingredients in the creamery's basic vanilla:
Milk, Cream, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, Stabilizer (Propylene Glycol Monoesters, Mono & Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan), Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Bean Material

To that of my local place Mitchell's
Skim milk, Cream, Organic fair-trade sugar, Organic egg yolks, Vanilla extract and beans, Natural flavor, Organic carob bean gum.

Or to Ben and Jerrys
CREAM, SKIM MILK, LIQUID SUGAR (SUGAR, WATER), WATER, EGG YOLKS, SUGAR, GUAR GUM, VANILLA EXTRACT, VANILLA BEANS, CARRAGEENAN.

I can't believe there is no one that wanted to take over Dave & Andy's.

Oakland traditions have just be wiped out over the last several years.

Reactions: pantherscott01
I can't believe there is no one that wanted to take over Dave & Andy's.

Oakland traditions have just be wiped out over the last several years.
I was thinking the same thing. Or did they not want to sell? That also I can’t understand. Get your $ for the business you worked hard for many years to develop into a success.

Millie ‘s is very good
Leona’s locally is also good .

I’ll miss Dave and Andy’s though -
I’d stop by when in Oakland assuming I had cash in my wallet

what's the deal with this Jenni's ice cream that has been popping up? A chain I assume? Very high priced and didn't think it was worth it.

Dave & Andy's was listed for sale but no takers I guess. Chikn is or was also listed for sale. Rents are just too high in Oakland to make any money. Oakland needs restaurants, ice cream shops, etc though so you wonder if the city could provide some type of rent stipend for small businesses in Oakland. Normally I'd say no if chains can make money there but they cant make it work either. Oakland is an incredibly interesting case study because rents are too high for anyone to make money so landlords just let storefronts stay empty.

Compare the ingredients in the creamery's basic vanilla:
Milk, Cream, Sugar, Corn Syrup Solids, Stabilizer (Propylene Glycol Monoesters, Mono & Diglycerides, Cellulose Gum, Guar Gum, Carrageenan), Vanilla Extract and Vanilla Bean Material

To that of my local place Mitchell's
Skim milk, Cream, Organic fair-trade sugar, Organic egg yolks, Vanilla extract and beans, Natural flavor, Organic carob bean gum.

Or to Ben and Jerrys
CREAM, SKIM MILK, LIQUID SUGAR (SUGAR, WATER), WATER, EGG YOLKS, SUGAR, GUAR GUM, VANILLA EXTRACT, VANILLA BEANS, CARRAGEENAN.
I usually compare the taste as the determining factor...don't really care how the sugar is obtained or how much extra land is needed to grow the organic ingredients.........its freaking ice cream

I usually compare the taste as the determining factor...don't really care how the sugar is obtained or how much extra land is needed to grow the organic ingredients.........its freaking ice cream

I tend to agree. Both my local place and Ben and Jerry's taste better. But was more focusing on the chemical ingredients.

what's the deal with this Jenni's ice cream that has been popping up? A chain I assume? Very high priced and didn't think it was worth it.
It's a national chain. They use very good ingredients and some of the flavors are superb, but at 10 dollars a pint I'd rather buy something fresh from a local shop.

Dave & Andy's was listed for sale but no takers I guess. Chikn is or was also listed for sale. Rents are just too high in Oakland to make any money. Oakland needs restaurants, ice cream shops, etc though so you wonder if the city could provide some type of rent stipend for small businesses in Oakland. Normally I'd say no if chains can make money there but they cant make it work either. Oakland is an incredibly interesting case study because rents are too high for anyone to make money so landlords just let storefronts stay empty.

FWIW, I’ve seen a major mismatch in expectations of buyers and sellers of businesses in the last year or so. Higher interest rates have brought down what buyers are willing to pay or able to finance, but a lot of sellers want prices they could have gotten pre-2022 that were inflated by years of historically low interest rates. I have no insight into this specific situation, but I’ve seen plenty of other businessss where each side’s expectations right now are so far apart that deals can’t get done (even if there is strong interest).

Last edited:
FWIW, I’ve seen a major mismatch in expectations of buyers and sellers of businesses in the last year or so. Higher interest rates have brought down what buyers are willing to pay or able to finance, but a lot of sellers want prices they could have gotten pre-2022 that were inflated by years of historically low interest rates. I have no insight into this specific situation, but I’ve seen plenty of other businessss where each side’s expectations right now are so far apart that deals can’t get done (even if there is strong interest).

Well, people aren't going to come out of nowhere and magically start paying more, so sellers better start lowering their expectations

It's crazy that pretty much all the unique places I used to go to 25 years ago are now mostly replaced by a franchise of some kind. If Hemmingway's gets replaced by an Applebee's I swear to God I'm going to lose it.

It's a national chain. They use very good ingredients and some of the flavors are superb, but at 10 dollars a pint I'd rather buy something fresh from a local shop.

Thanks, yeah I went in Jenni's for a dish (or maybe a cone) and it was like $7 or something And people were lined up to pay it. Didn't think it was that much better than anything else out there.

The only positive thing I will say about the creamery is that they are probably the only place that sells a true half gallon size of ice cream. It looks so huge now when compared to brands like Breyers that you see in the super market that are exhibit A or product shrinkage over the years.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT