ADVERTISEMENT

Boyd charged

Yes, that is the "legal limit". But again, it doesn't necessarily make him "impaired". That is DVY's point. And in 5 months, there wouldn't be any issue. Again, that is the point.

Look, let's just outlaw alcohol. I think all of us have no patience for those constant DUI offenders, who have multiple charges, or those driving at limits over 2-3 or more times the legal limit. But .02 is no different that me having a beer. I am not impaired after a beer or 2. Sorry.

The problem with that is, you don't get to pick which laws to obey.

You might want to do some actual research on the legal definition of DUI. According to my research, .08 is considered DUI for adults. The legal limit for DUI for minors in PA is .02, so if Boyd blew a .02 reading, legally he was drunk driving for a minor.

No, I get that. Technically, if he had a single drop of alcohol in his system, or even if he admitted to having a single alcoholic drink, he would be legally in the wrong due to his age. I just don't agree that a .02 BAL is impaired in any way. I think it is an overly punitive standard and should be repealed.

BTW, my view has nothing to do with Tyler Boyd. I have seen how these overly strict laws ruin good people's lives - often people who were not being irresponsible or dangerous in any way. I couldn't care less if Boyd is suspended for one series, one game, three games, or even if he is forced to retire due to his heinous choice to drink two shots a full five months before he was legally permitted to do so.

I think the whole thing is bullschitt on every level, I really do. This kid has had his name dragged through the mud from coast to coast and from where I sit he basically did nothing wrong.

The problem with that is, you don't get to pick which laws to obey.

That's absolutely true. However, these laws are not the word of god. They can be changed to reflect a more common sense approach to curbing drunk driving. We change laws all the time to reflect our changing culture.

Again, I am not condoning drunk driving. However, I am also not condoning activist judges and overzealous special interest groups.

We can find a middle ground and a .02 BAL for a 20 year-old is not middle ground. He should be charged with under-aged drinking and that should be it. Pay the fine, go to those phony classes and we'll see you in the second half of the Youngstown State game. Those things, along with all of the bover the top bad press the kid has received is more than enough lashings, IMHO. Anything more than that is overly punitive, IMHO.

Yes, that is the "legal limit". But again, it doesn't necessarily make him "impaired". That is DVY's point. And in 5 months, there wouldn't be any issue. Again, that is the point.

Look, let's just outlaw alcohol. I think all of us have no patience for those constant DUI offenders, who have multiple charges, or those driving at limits over 2-3 or more times the legal limit. But .02 is no different that me having a beer. I am not impaired after a beer or 2. Sorry.

Sorry, but I disagree. It's not about whether his driving is impaired. The issue is whether the LAW defines it as impaired. Now if you want to argue that the law doesn't make sense, I won't argue with you, but the fact remains that under the current law it's a crime and he's going to be punished. Period.

I could give 2 shits whether he's 20 and a half or 21 years old. I don't see the difference and I dont care what the hell the geniuses in Harrisburg decided on the matter either. He wasn't drunk. I'm willing to take my chances with someone having 2 drinks and driving. He didn't blow a .24 and drive the wrong way on the highway. This isn't a big issue to me.

A DUI attorney on Facebook said Boyd most likely blew a low reading and the cops probably took him in for a blood test hoping it would result in a higher numbers. They would do this if he said he just recently consumed the alcohol (the alcohol may not have metabolized yet).

He also said do not ever consent to a breathalyzer since he can't really cross examine or retest the results and b/c juries think they're always accurate. Went onto say blood tests are better for defendants b/c he can have the blood retested and cross examine everyone who handled the samples, and said labs have a history of being both corrupt and careless.

Wouldn't that be deemed a refusal?

Look, I agree that a .02 standard is arbitrary and a bit silly. All that being said, if you're a key guy on the team you've got to understand the potential impact of bad decisions. Tyler made a poor decision. Doesn't make him a bad kid but you simply can't drink ANYTHING and drive if you're underage. It's not that hard to understand. It may not be fair, but I suspect he's going to get at least a one game suspension.

The stop officer needs PC for the stop and then must observe indicators of impairment to arrest for DUI. Typically, these signs are: bloodshot eyes, slurred speech, and odor of alcohol.

Best case scenario for Boyd is that the cop asked if he was drinking and Boyd said yes and blew slightly over .02.; that will likely be plead down to underage drinking/ reckless driving/ or be eligible for a diversion program. Worst case is that the impairment was not caused by alcohol and Tyler was weaving all over the road and stumbling during his FSE's. If the officer is a DRE, or drug recognition expert, or the commonwealth did a blood-draw there may be more to the story. Impairment need not be caused by alcohol.-- actual Pitt-loving criminal attorney and former prosecutor

Let's play.......LETS BE BRUTALLY HONEST HERE.

Tyler Boyd is a pretty good kid by all accounts. Tyler Boyd also did something that likely 75% of kids his age have done.
If Tyler Boyd would play for Penn State or WVU, most on this board would be judge, jury and executioner, declaring him a criminal and wanting prosecution to send a message and throw the book at him, and suspend him for life. I guess that is what fans do, they completely lose perspective on their team vs rival teams. It is sort of like, well being drunk.

Doc mentioned PA's antiquated alcohol laws. Is it any wonder about a state that thinks it itself is the best way to distribute alcohol to the public instead of private entities like in any other state? PA definitely shows its Quaker heritage with some absolutely backwards and antiquated rules concerning alcohol.

But I want to focus on what I feel is one of the most immoral, ridiculous laws, and it is now nationwide. First off a thanks to one of the most powerful, internal "terrorist" groups in this country for greasing the wheels to this law. Mothers are a good thing. Drunk Driving is a bad thing. Mothers being against Drunk Driving is a good thing. Mothers losing children to drunk driving is a terrible thing. MADD is absolutely horrible. This is a perfect example of taking a good intention, and just like we do when we apply "zero tolerance" (read eliminate common sense and rationality) to another problem and come up with a friggin convoluted "solution".

To allow a child to marry. To allow him or force him to defend the country and die in our wars. To pay taxes. To have access to all the rigors of our criminal justice and punishment system. To allow these kids be an adult in every facet of life, but to not allow them to take a legal drink is unconscionable. It is immoral. Why? Because MADD thinks it is a good idea? Studies show? I won't go into how forcing these kids underground just encourages binge drinking, but the fact is, in this country and the individual states, you have established drunk driving limits. Drunk driving, driving under the influence is the same whether you are 20 or 21. 19 or 25. And we know alcohol affects people differently, some may be over the limit but rather in control, others could double for the old Otis the drunk character from Mayberry.

By all accounts, if Boyd was 5 months older, this merely would be a traffic citation. 5 months. But if we would start a draft tomorrow (military not NFL) Boyd would be eligible to go and die. He is responsible in every other way as an adult. 5 months. This is ridiculous, a travesty of calling some an adult and deeming him responsible enough to marry and raise children, make "adult" decisions in every facet of life, yet not be allowed to take a drink. Hell, no wonder why marijuana use and worse is on the up, at least there is not an illegal age criteria our legal system can pile on.

It is stupid. It is also the most single political incorrect stance to take, to try and repeal the legal drinking age and move it back to 18 or at least 19. It is political suicide. So, we put essentially Scarlet letters on people that can follow them around for life, for doing something not different than any of us adults do, have a drink and get into a car. Drunk is drunk. But again, drunk is not age dependent.
I was in college when the campaign to lower the voting age to 18 was running. A college prof summed it up, thusly...."Old enough to fight, old enough to vote??? OK, too old to fight, too old to vote!!" This is like legal pot....do we really need more intoxication?? At least there's a tiny bit of justification, the premise that "new" drinkers have lower tolerance.. Maybe we can mandate that 18-21 year olds only drink chick beer?? The folks at Coors & Miller would be happy.

Sorry, but I disagree. It's not about whether his driving is impaired. The issue is whether the LAW defines it as impaired. Now if you want to argue that the law doesn't make sense, I won't argue with you, but the fact remains that under the current law it's a crime and he's going to be punished. Period.

When the speed limit is 55, do you ever drive 56? 57? That is breaking the law. 56 or 57 is speeding in a 55 mph zone. Same with 100. I'll let you determine what is more serious. Say TB was tested at a 0.04 BAC, while breaking the law for an underaged person (which is a joke of a law) the problem with drunk driving is not people who had a few drinks, it is those who are completely soused and many times 2 or 3 times the limit. One is defensible, the other is not.

When the speed limit is 55, do you ever drive 56? 57? That is breaking the law. 56 or 57 is speeding in a 55 mph zone. Same with 100. I'll let you determine what is more serious. Say TB was tested at a 0.04 BAC, while breaking the law for an underaged person (which is a joke of a law) the problem with drunk driving is not people who had a few drinks, it is those who are completely soused and many times 2 or 3 times the limit. One is defensible, the other is not.

Really, I dont even care what the law says. If he blew a number so low where he wasn't even drunk (but according to PA, he was), then as far as I'm concerned, he wasn't drunk driving. I'd imagine that anyone who has a drink at dinner would blow a 0.2 or 0.3. They're not drunk. The 2 issues are:

1. Underage drinking
2. Driving through Jefferson Hills at that time of night. Boyd should have known to avoid that area and taken an alternate route. Jefferson Hills at 2:35 AM is not the type of place Boyd should be driving through.

So, for me, if he blew a low number (but over 0.2), I'd base his suspension off of his underage drinking offense which would be extra morning sprints for a few days.

His mother is not happy.

Boyd's mother Tonya Payne said Monday the family is hiring an attorney, who she declined to identify. She said her son is being singled out “because of who he is.”

“I'm very irritated because if this was somebody average, this isn't how this would have went down,” she said. “You don't usually get a DUI charge until the lab work comes back.”

Read more: http://triblive.com/sports/college/pitt/8569036-74/roach-boyd-police#ixzz3dKJtOmT4
Follow us: @triblive on Twitter | triblive on Facebook

He screwed up. At worst, he gets some minimal, look what we did, team punishment, does the ARD thing, gets drafted in the first round, has, at the very least, a good NFL career, and then one day donates something to the Jefferson Hills PD and has the token, cathartic photo opp.

Wouldn't that be deemed a refusal?
It would be deemed a refusal, and it would carry an additional year license suspension and you would be charged with DUI as if you blew in the highest category. Also, those that violate implied consent typically are not offered ARD for first time offenses. The police choose which court admissible test they want to utilize on a DUI suspect. That said, the DUI suspect does have the right to independent testing. So you can request a independent blood test after taking a breathalyzer if you desired (the police can subpoena those results to use against you though). You can fight breathalyzer results more easily than blood test results in my opinion, so personally, I would be happy with just breathalyzer results.

You can and should refuse field sobriety tests (if you think you are over the limit). Be cordial about it though. You can refuse the portable breathalyzer (handheld one they carry in cars). Again be cordial about it. You cannot refuse the big breathalyzer (size of table) at the police station or in a mobile DUI trailer without violating implied consent laws and facing increased penalties.

I'm not a DUI lawyer, but probably put my DUI lawyer's kid through a year of college with my stupidity.

with DUI. No surprise. Tyler shoulda known you don't drive through Jefferson Hills at 2:35 AM if you're from Clairton.

This doesn't change anything for me. If he was 5 months older, the cops would have said, "Thanks for your cooperation, have a good night, and drive safe." Because he's not, people act like its some terrible thing.

I hope our administartion doesn't take the "holier than thou" approach like the old one. Internal team discipline seems like the way to go here. We dont need him to beat YSU but you dont want to chance anything.

Yea, ok, Boyd broke the law, he was underage drinking 5 months prior to his 21st birthday (the horror!) and was over the DUI limit for people under 21. Pay the fine, take the points, run some sprints, and lets move on!
If you want to punish the kid, make him wear a Ron Cook mask for a few days. That would solve alot of problems.

Pitt just needs to start acting like a big time football factory, that puts winning above all else. Max punishment for a DUI should be miss the 1st series vs. YSU.

Who are the people that really care to see a punishment handed out? People who post on the internet and that's about it. 99% of the people who show up at the game will do so not even knowing it happened.

What is the reason to add extra punishment about what the state gives him? Nothing really. It's to do PR, to stand up on a high horse, or should from a mountain top... LOOK AT ME, I AM MORAL!!!

I'd rather just pay to win! Probably half the students at the game got a DUI or an underage drinking in their time in college, WITHOUT any extra punishment from the school.

If you win something, like an ACC title, people will remember forever, even if the whole team got DUIs that year, if you remain a loser with MORAL VALUES and punish everybody, they'll forget about your great "values" and keep complaining that you're still a LOSER.

Pitt just needs to start acting like a big time football factory, that puts winning above all else. Max punishment for a DUI should be miss the 1st series vs. YSU.

Who are the people that really care to see a punishment handed out? People who post on the internet and that's about it. 99% of the people who show up at the game will do so not even knowing it happened.

What is the reason to add extra punishment about what the state gives him? Nothing really. It's to do PR, to stand up on a high horse, or should from a mountain top... LOOK AT ME, I AM MORAL!!!

I'd rather just pay to win! Probably half the students at the game got a DUI or an underage drinking in their time in college, WITHOUT any extra punishment from the school.

If you win something, like an ACC title, people will remember forever, even if the whole team got DUIs that year, if you remain a loser with MORAL VALUES and punish everybody, they'll forget about your great "values" and keep complaining that you're still a LOSER.

79, welcome back.

Sounds like a good idea. At least then politicians wouldn't feel the need to pander to old people like, well, you! :p
Always swinging that axe, huh?? I pay taxes.....deserve attention from politicians. And respect from the inexperienced. Do you hassle your Daddy??? " Happy Father's Day, Dad....you're old."

First, let me say that my opinion has nothing to do with Tyler Boyd. He is just a symbol for a much larger conversation. None of us has any idea what actually happened in Jefferson Hills that night so it is beyond speculative to be talking about the temperament of the officer, the level of Boyd's intoxication, the quality of his driving, his behavior after being pulled over, etc. None of us has any idea about any of those things and it is foolish and disingenuous to pretend otherwise.

I guess I just can't wrap my mind around why a BAL content threshold should be different for a 20-year-old that it would be a 21-year-old? Intellectually, that makes no sense to me. It feels like a cash grab by the state and the Jefferson Hills Police Department.

As I said, this is not a pro drunk driving opinion and should not be misconstrued as such. Also, please do not consider this a defense of Tyler Boyd because that is not my intent either.

I just need to see some actual data proving that a 20-year-old is more drunk at .05 than would be a 21-year-old at the same BAL. That seems hard to believe but I am not a blood work expert or a scientist and I am open to persuasion. However, I would need to see some actual data.

Finally, if the point of having such a strict standard is deterrence, do we have any data proving that is working? It is my understanding that Pennsylvania has among the strictest DUI and underage drinking laws in the country. That's fine, but what are the results of such stern laws?

Does Pennsylvania have among the fewest incidents of drunk driving or underage drinking arrests? If the answer to that question is yes then maybe it is time for me to reconsider my opinion on the subject? If the answer to those questions is no then perhaps it is time for the state to reconsider its approach?

Right now, the .02 BAL for an adult who has not yet celebrated his or her 21st birthday feels to me like a ludicrously punitive standard to hold anyone to and never should've been passed into law and it should be repealed at once.

What if an engineering student was going to represent Pitt at a robotics competition at MIT? And he was busted for DUI a week before. Would there be an outcry to have him suspended?

I drive this road on a daily basis. It is a dangerous intersection. Boyd is driving southbound on this road a road that parallels Route 51. You're driving down a steep hill, a 4-lane highway with a turning lane which converges into a 2-lane highway with a turning lane at the intersection light. You then climb a steep hill with limited visibility.

Apparently Boyd is attempting to pass another vehicle after passing the intersection in a non-passing lane with limited visibility. A dangerous move and an obvious traffic violation. Thank goodness for good police work.

I wonder how many people who consider this a no big deal, if a member of their family was coming the other way resulting in a head-on collision. They probably would still blame the police.

The issue is less about the legal issues, whatever their reality, and more about whether the University should "pile on" with additional punishments beyond what the civil authorities impose. If it turns out he wasn't really drunk (or even close) by the standard for a 21 year old adult (rather than by the 0.02 artificially low standard applied to all under age drivers irrespective of whether they are 16 years and 1 day or 1 day short of 21) once the BAL results are known; then, IMHO, the University should butt out and not add anything to whatever the civil penalties may be. Conversely, if the BAL results put him close to the 0.08 standard for an adult; then I will not have heartburn if the University decides to "pile on." Note: I would feel the same if it were a walk-on bench warmer involved.

I drive this road on a daily basis. It is a dangerous intersection. Boyd is driving southbound on this road a road that parallels Route 51. You're driving down a steep hill, a 4-lane highway with a turning lane which converges into a 2-lane highway with a turning lane at the intersection light. You then climb a steep hill with limited visibility.

Apparently Boyd is attempting to pass another vehicle after passing the intersection in a non-passing lane with limited visibility. A dangerous move and an obvious traffic violation. Thank goodness for good police work.

I wonder how many people who consider this a no big deal, if a member of their family was coming the other way resulting in a head-on collision. They probably would still blame the police.

Ummm.......at 2:35 AM, you might get 5 cars per hour on that road, its not rush hour traffic. And what Boyd, did (according to the report) was what we ALL DO. Car is probably going super slow in front of him (probably drunk also) so as it begins to make a right onto Wray Large Rd, Boyd passes it. I know I have gotten frustrated with cars going very slowly in front of me and passed it as it begins to turn. Traffic violation, yes, but I wouldn't call that "reckless driving."

As for what Doc was saying, I agree 100%. .08 for a DUI, fine. But, I cant understand how a 20.5 year old is too drunk to drive at 0.2 but a 21 year old is not. Boyd should not have been drinking. While a joke in and of itself, an underage drinking citation would have been warranted but he more than likely was nowhere near being "too drunk to drive," which is why they took him for the blood test, hoping to get a higher number. Probably a PSU/TJ fan cop.

This whole thing is a joke. If this happens in State College, Morgantown, Columbus, Tuscaloosa, etc, Narduzzi gets called, Boyd gets underage drinking and a minor traffic violation (maybe) and runs some sprints. Since Pitt is not a cult school here, people make a big deal out of it when its anything but. We even have Pitt fans calling for his suspension.

Let the courts decide his fines. Boyd was driving a car while not being drunk. That doesn't deserve a suspension. In the future, I hope he avoids driving through Jefferson Hills and Pleasant Hills.

Reactions: bwh05
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT