ADVERTISEMENT

Brandon Staley to the portal

Jun 3, 2023
After last years playoff humiliation and the humiliating loss last night, he was just canned along with their GM. Chargers aren’t playing games. The Steelers definitely are playing games.

Reactions: pittdan77
Someone should ask him what the analytics say about this.

Always thought he was a bonehead. The Chargers will be better without him.

Reactions: FireballZ
I think Belichick would make a ton of sense for the Chargers. That's a team that can probably win pretty quickly with the right coach.

Reactions: Gunga_Galunga
I wonder if Rooney would fire a head coach in that same situation? or would that never fire the HC ever continue to apply forever? Noll had losing records 4 times and only made the playoffs once in his last 7 years and I don't remember there being talk of firing him, except by me.

After last years playoff humiliation and the humiliating loss last night, he was just canned along with their GM. Chargers aren’t playing games. The Steelers definitely are playing games.
They’re playing some games because he should’ve been fired after last year. Just another wasted season with Herbert (who also shrinks in clutch moments).
I think Belichick would make a ton of sense for the Chargers. That's a team that can probably win pretty quickly with the right coach.
Chargers have a bunch of veteran stars. If he was actually going to be traded, this would be a good fit for Tomlin as well.

Are they that talented? BB is 72 years old and it would have to happen pretty fast.

I wonder if Rooney would fire a head coach in that same situation? or would that never fire the HC ever continue to apply forever? Noll had losing records 4 times and only made the playoffs once in his last 7 years and I don't remember there being talk of firing him, except by me.
They didn't fire Noll after being humiliated by Cleveland and Cincy by a combined score of 92-10 at the start of the 1989 season after going 5-11 the year before.

Art II isn't going to fire Tomlin, he'll either trade him to Washington after this season or not extend Tomlin's contract if the Stillers have a disappointing season next year.

They didn't fire Noll after being humiliated by Cleveland and Cincy by a combined score of 92-10 at the start of the 1989 season after going 5-11 the year before.

Art II isn't going to fire Tomlin, he'll either trade him to Washington after this season or not extend Tomlin's contract if the Stillers have a disappointing season next year.
I remember being at that 51-0 loss to the Browns, it was September and warm and rainy, that was horrible.

Noll still managed to win a playoff game that season. There was also the fact that Noll was second to God to Yinzers. Probably still is.
He did, beat the dastardly Jerry Glanville Oilers and almost upset horse tooth Elway the next week. There were tons of people screaming for Noll's head, it had totally seemed like the game had passed him by, the Steelers weren't even using the shotgun formation.

Steelers aren't playing games. Tomlin compared to Staley is night and day. Tomlin's body of work compared to all of these younger/newer head coaches is night and day.

Mike Tomlin is like a modern day Marty Schottenheimer, with a super bowl ring and another trip.

Imagine the Steelers moving on from Tomlin, and then replacing him with a guy who provides Brandon Staley results?

I was ready for Ben to retire and now....I think we him back for these last few games!

The Steelers haven’t won a playoff game in 6 years and rarely make changes to correct the issues.
That's the blanket statement everyone uses.

It's like saying Bill Belichick is a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest, but only because Tom Brady won him 6 super bowl.

Or better yet...

When Andy Reid was engineering the Eagles to all those championship games. But Philly fans swore up and down he wasn't good enough.

That's the blanket statement everyone uses.

It's like saying Bill Belichick is a Hall of Famer and one of the greatest, but only because Tom Brady won him 6 super bowl.

Or better yet...

When Andy Reid was engineering the Eagles to all those championship games. But Philly fans swore up and down he wasn't good enough.
I get what you’re saying, but for an organization that prides itself on Championships, Tomlin’s performance has been below par. I mean, he hasn’t been horrendous, but this isn’t Pitt…the Steelers should demand better.

I get what you’re saying, but for an organization that prides itself on Championships, Tomlin’s performance has been below par. I mean, he hasn’t been horrendous, but this isn’t Pitt…the Steelers should demand better.
I agree. A long conversation needs to happen at the end of this year. Getting refocused on building the culture back up.

And if an understanding isn't there, then it's time to move on

Reactions: Dan1911
Steelers aren't playing games. Tomlin compared to Staley is night and day. Tomlin's body of work compared to all of these younger/newer head coaches is night and day.

Mike Tomlin is like a modern day Marty Schottenheimer, with a super bowl ring and another trip.

Imagine the Steelers moving on from Tomlin, and then replacing him with a guy who provides Brandon Staley results?

I was ready for Ben to retire and now....I think we him back for these last few games!
9-7
10-8
5-9

I mean, aren't we kind of getting Brandon Staley results anyway? Hovering around .500 with no playoff wins. The Chargers have a stud QB and will likely get a top-10 pick to add to a small group of stars already on the roster. It's a great situation for a coach to come in and win. Everyone is always worried about the Steelers getting a dud like we've been watching a team win playoff games or watch exciting football on a weekly basis. Maybe they go out and find a coach like Kyle Shanahan or Matt LaFleur results.

Reactions: Pitt79
Noll still managed to win a playoff game that season. There was also the fact that Noll was second to God to Yinzers. Probably still is.
You're right, but that was the only playoff win in his last 7 years, and I guess I'm more practical and less loyal, I was by that point tired of Yinzer God not winning playoff games.

I agree. A long conversation needs to happen at the end of this year. Getting refocused on building the culture back up.

And if an understanding isn't there, then it's time to move on
Not just the "culture" totally change the offensive and overall game philosophy, drop the weak ass, conservative 1970s football, move it into 2023.

Reactions: SteelerPittFan87
9-7
10-8
5-9

I mean, aren't we kind of getting Brandon Staley results anyway? Hovering around .500 with no playoff wins. The Chargers have a stud QB and will likely get a top-10 pick to add to a small group of stars already on the roster. It's a great situation for a coach to come in and win. Everyone is always worried about the Steelers getting a dud like we've been watching a team win playoff games or watch exciting football on a weekly basis. Maybe they go out and find a coach like Kyle Shanahan or Matt LaFleur results.
Idk, it's a dangerous game finding a good replacement. When Cowher retired, he walked away from a SuperBowl winning roster. He could've reached Chuck Noll status...possibly.

Right now, our roster (Offensively) and staff isn't that good. And the defense is aging faster than we realize.

Tomlin set himself back with the Canada hire. And ignoring the value of what a legit center does for a traditional Steelers offense.

If he goes out and hires a legit OC and find a legit anchor at center, then that will go long way.

Guys like Webster, Dawson and Pouncey set the tone on offense for decades. It starts upfront

Idk, it's a dangerous game finding a good replacement. When Cowher retired, he walked away from a SuperBowl winning roster. He could've reached Chuck Noll status...possibly.

Right now, our roster (Offensively) and staff isn't that good. And the defense is aging faster than we realize.

Tomlin set himself back with the Canada hire. And ignoring the value of what a legit center does for a traditional Steelers offense.

If he goes out and hires a legit OC and find a legit anchor at center, then that will go long way.

Guys like Webster, Dawson and Pouncey set the tone on offense for decades. It starts upfront
What exactly are we worried about? Not winning a playoff game, something Tomlin has only done 4 times in 16 (upcoming on 17) years. If they make the wrong hire, find another coach. They don't have to sign these coaches to lifetime contracts.

What exactly are we worried about? Not winning a playoff game, something Tomlin has only done 4 times in 16 (upcoming on 17) years. If they make the wrong hire, find another coach. They don't have to sign these coaches to lifetime contracts.
The Steelers (Rooney's) are one of the most consistently ran organizations in all of sports.

Start making quick reactive regime changes and you begin to loose yourself as a organization.

That's not how the Rooney's operate.

If it were different ownership, then yeah go for it.

The Steelers (Rooney's) are one of the most consistently ran organizations in all of sports.

Start making quick reactive regime changes and you begin to loose yourself as a organization.

It's going to be 7 years without a playoff win. It's not a quick reaction. It's time.

It's going to be 7 years without a playoff win. It's not a quick reaction. It's time.
Hire Matt Canada and stick with him for that long = the fan base giving up on you.

I get it. But I don't think he needs fired or the organization moving on..., this season. He just made a dumb move by giving his friend that much of a chance. Even Narduzzi said he's not that good of an OC.

Hire Matt Canada and stick with him for that long = the fan base giving up on you.

I get it. But I don't think he needs fired or the organization moving on..., this season. He just made a dumb move by giving his friend that much of a chance. Even Narduzzi said he's not that good of an OC.
But this isn’t a short-term issue. Again, going in 7 years without a playoff win and only 4 in 17 seasons with a playoff win after this year. At what point do you keep stop accepting these results?

Inflexibility is a sign of stupidity or autism, Rainman Rooney should try to understand that firing a coach once every 60 years isn't as scary as he thinks. after never firing a coach since 1968 and having the same coach since 2007, firing Dumlin is not exactly a
quick reactive regime change

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT