ADVERTISEMENT

Brawl Musings

pitt82

Freshman
Gold Member
Jul 11, 2001
Just got back home to NYC after last night's great game. Great environment, maybe not the best played game but it made my pulse quicken all night. Let's get into it:

1. I told a WVU fan entering the stadium that I wished we had a warmup game. I was very nervous about having a rivalry game as the opener. He agreed. New qb, new OC, new offensive system. That's why you can never really base your view of the team on Game 1. Need to wait.

2. The most surprising aspect of the game for me is the way our lines looked. I thought the offensive line was not getting any push on the run game. I thought the pass blocking was ok, Slovis seemed a little tentative, especially early with his progressions. The DL was not applying great pressure. That improved as the game wore on but early on I thought the WVU stymied our penetration which
really allowed WVU to run the ball effectively. Couple that with our LB's being out of position and not filling their gaps you can see why WVU had success running the ball. That's fixable though.

3. I thought Cignetti got better as the game wore on. You have to assume that maybe 70% of the playbook is in so need to wait at least till mid season before the full offense is in. I thought putting in Hammond was key. Izzy is explosive but a bit of a long strider and needs a hole to get going. Hammond has that short quick burst but not top flight speed. Perfect for inside runs. He's also very decisive with his cuts and vision. I think Izzy has a tendency to pitter patter a little or look for the home run instead of taking the 4 yard run. Hammond also has better body lean, his pad level stays lower. But Izzy's explosiveness was on display on the game tying TD. He outran a WVU DB who had the angle on him. Hammond does not score a TD there.

4. Refs were just ok. Thought they were tentative all night but got the calls right after endless reviews. Not sure what play coach Brown was watching but that was not even close to a catch at the end of the game. It wasn't close.

5. There's a always some luck involved as well. JT Daniels, who can really throw the ball, got hit and threw up a duck that the WVU receiver snared from the air. if our guys are playing the ball it's an easy INT. But in reverse he throws a perfect throw to his WR and it goes through his hands to Devonshire who went to the house. Always a bit of luck involved.

6. Not sure what the punter was thinking on the block. I mean he took a zillion steps and then kicked it into the defenders belly. Can't blame the D for that but Sauls looked very solid.

7. One of the frustrating things watching our DB's is they never seem to turn and play the ball. Mack didn't turn on the TD pass in the second half and he had good coverage and Williams was flagged for a PI because he didn't turn and locate the ball. They need to be better.

8. One aspect that no one has mentioned is that Slovis missed two deep balls that were there. One he threw it too far and one Means had a really tough over the shoulder catch to make. Both plays were right there. Means' fumble was just a bad play by him. Didn't tuck the ball and it just slipped out of his hand without anyone touching him though we got the ball right back when WVU fumbled.

9. I'll say this about Slovis, give him a clean pocket and he's accurate. Cignetti will start incorporating some drag routes with Gavin as well.

10. I thought the first Pitt/Penn State game when Conner was a senior was the loudest I've seen the stadium but I gotta say last night might have beaten it. Maybe the night game had something to do with it.
11. Thought John Morgan was not being blocked all night. Man does he have a quick first step. Thought the inside of our offensive line got blown up quite a bit.

12, It's debatable whether Coach Brown should have gone for it on fourth down at midfield. I don't think it's a slam dunk call. Your up 7 and your D has been controlling the Pitt offense and you can pin them back and make them go 92 yds to tie the game. If you don't make it you give them a short field to score a TD. So don't think it's cut and dried. Glad though he didn't go for it.

13. My club seats are on the visitor's side. Sat next to a bunch of WVU fans and frankly they couldn't have been nicer. They cheered for their team but nothing mean spirited and we analyzed the game as the game went on. They want me and my gf to tailgate with them next year in Morgantown. A pretty good experience.

14. Interesting to see how much better this team gets next week vs Tenn. Tenn will take deep shots all game. It would be really nice if Pitt could generate a pass rush with their front four without having to blitz their LB's.

1-0 feels good. I'm ok with winning ugly 11 more times.

Pitt82

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News