ADVERTISEMENT

Breaking news: Pitt loses a starting OL for the season

Bookser was a 4* recruit from the WPIAL who now gets his turn to play for the hometown team. Mt Lebo grad
Well, he was going to get his turn anyway, since he was penciled in as a starter for this season. But it was going to be at right guard; now it will be at right tackle.

Well, he was going to get his turn anyway, since he was penciled in as a starter for this season. But it was going to be at right guard; now it will be at right tackle.

Chris, what's the OL's 2 deep right now?....your guess

Chris, what's the OL's 2 deep right now?....your guess
I think it will look like this:

LT - Bisnowaty, Guy
LG - Johnson, Baker
C - Rowell, Roberts
RG - Officer, Grimm or Herndon
RT - Bookser, Reese

That's my guess.

Reactions: PSUPALY
I just wish Pitt could make it thru an off season intact, just once.
I think it's fairly common, though. FB is a year-round life for these kids....let's hope he comes back strong.

If the joint or ligament was ready to give, guess it could have happened any time, so better now to give max time for his recovery and prep for the replacement. (The only positive spin I can give, unfortunately)

If any of you have paid attention the last 30+ years....this always happens to Pitt...surviving it will be the key...but it doesnt matter who the coach is...HCPN..did not get a pass on the curse that hangs over this program.

I think it will look like this:

LT - Bisnowaty, Guy
LG - Johnson, Baker
C - Rowell, Roberts
RG - Officer, Grimm or Herndon
RT - Bookser, Reese

That's my guess.

The starting 5 is still very good. IMO, Pitt doesn't lose a whole lot in the starting 5 with this injury. Not a knock on Jones-Smith, just that Bookser taking his spot, Officer taking Bookser's spot, and Rowell taking Officer's spot isnt much of a downgrade. It will really hurt our depth though. Our 2nd 5 really worries me.

What's up with Mike Grimm? He was a highly touted prospect who seems like will be forever buried.

I think JJS is our best OL so this is obviously a devastating blow. However, having the luxury of Alex Officer to move over to guard could be a hidden blessing for all concerned...provided Bookser can handle the RT spot.

This is BY FAR the worst news of the offseason.

There have been a number of posts on OL recruiting and whether we really need to sign 2 or 3 OL this year. This injury is exactly why we do need to do that every year.

Suddenly, to replace a RT who probably would have gone in the first or second round of the NFL draft had it not been for an injury, we have an untested redshirt freshman. Booker may be great, but we can expect other teams we play to line up their best pass rusher at LE to test him. It is a lot different playing OG than playing OT. We are going to have to protect him now with a TEon that side most of the time, and that impacts the game planning.

IMO playing Rowell instead of Officer at C weakens us there. So this impacts two positions, not one. And, behind Bookser we have Reese who has basically not played a meaningful snap.

Suddenly, we have no real depth on the OL. We have bodies: Grimm, Herndon, Reese. But all, like Bookser, are unproven. That is not depth. That is why we need to sign 2 or 3 OL every year.

I think JJS is our best OL so this is obviously a devastating blow. However, having the luxury of Alex Officer to move over to guard could be a hidden blessing for all concerned...provided Bookser can handle the RT spot.

This is BY FAR the worst news of the offseason.
:oops:Yep, the one think Pitt cannot afford is Injuries in Coach Pat & Staff Debut Season! The OL is much more solid for this season, but this is not good news when it happens during the Off Season with just 8 weeks to opening the Year Games!

One can say better now than if after the 1st or 5th Games, but it still a blow to a Unit that needs to stay healthy all season long with their tough schedule, and the need for some Wide Receivers to stand up and help out Boyd?

Let us hope for the best and players that replace him, do just as good!:cool:

:oops:Yep, the one think Pitt cannot afford is Injuries in Coach Pat & Staff Debut Season! The OL is much more solid for this season, but this is not good news when it happens during the Off Season with just 8 weeks to opening the Year Games!

One can say better now than if after the 1st or 5th Games, but it still a blow to a Unit that needs to stay healthy all season long with their tough schedule, and the need for some Wide Receivers to stand up and help out Boyd?

Let us hope for the best and players that replace him, do just as good!:cool:
Love the purple.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
136528d1332012194-purple-thread-so-muich-purple.

Pitt redshirt sophomore offensive tackle Jaryd Jones-Smith will miss the 2015 season after suffering a knee injury during offseason workouts.

Article: Pitt loses a starter on the OL
That is really bad news-but here's where the OL depth that PC built pays off. The OL may not be as good as it would have been with JJS, but his loss won't be the catastrophe it could have been if we'd had Wanny or WLAT-era OL depth.

If any of you have paid attention the last 30+ years....this always happens to Pitt...surviving it will be the key...but it doesnt matter who the coach is...HCPN..did not get a pass on the curse that hangs over this program.
It happens to everyone.
OSU lost 2 starters at QB last year: one a pre-season Heisman candidate:they didn't whine.
They won.
Next man up......and no whining permitted.

The starting 5 is still very good. IMO, Pitt doesn't lose a whole lot in the starting 5 with this injury. Not a knock on Jones-Smith, just that Bookser taking his spot, Officer taking Bookser's spot, and Rowell taking Officer's spot isnt much of a downgrade. It will really hurt our depth though. Our 2nd 5 really worries me.

What's up with Mike Grimm? He was a highly touted prospect who seems like will be forever buried.

Alex Bookser will be a lot better player by the time he is a redshirt junior or senior than he will as a redshirt freshman. In fact, I think he will be a great player. That said, if you think you will just plug him in this year and he will not have growing pains, then you are mistaken. It's very difficult for redshirt 1st year players to play the line. It's going to take some time, especially on an island at tackle.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT