ADVERTISEMENT

Brian Kelly, Head Football Coach of Notre Dame

steel_curtain

All Conference
Nov 9, 2014
-This is the head football Coach you want to play for or your kid to play for? Ill stand with Coach Franklin from Penn State all day long over this idiot. What recruits see in this guy is beyond me? Explain it.

-Yea, Im not committing to a school like that, and I dont care if Notre Dame has 1000 National Titles. You think this guy gives a rats ass about his kids outside of football? That's a joke. Look what Narduzzi did for George Hill. Hill would of got ran out of Notre Dame faster than Usain Bolt's 40 time. Sorry badby, you couldnt pay me to even visit there, and I dont care how much tradition Notre Dame has. Going after his own staff and threatens to punch him on the field Yea, he cares about his staff and players alright. Family like football program huh? Please

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
Their not going to ND because of the coach,ND could win 0 games and will still have a top 5 or 10 recruiting class

-Brian Kelly has signed 1 Top 10 class in the last 6 years in the composite rankings. So most top recruits are not going there, despite popular belief of Notre Dame's greatness. How this guy has so much interest from PA recruits this year is not explainable.

Theirs more Irish fans in PA than their are Pitt or PSU believe or not in a recent poll released so that's probably why

Theirs more Irish fans in PA than their are Pitt or PSU believe or not in a recent poll released so that's probably why

-That still doesnt explain why he never inks Top 10 recruiting classes. He's also only inked 3 PA players the last 5 years. Notre Dame hasnt done anything in PA recruiting and now all of a sudden, in another down year and getting knocked out of the Top 25 again by week 3, he's cleaning up PA recruits in 2017 and 2018. Yea, something doesnt smell right here.

Steel.....

Ate you suggesting Kelly is cheating?

Does that explain in your opinion. ...why the WPA kids are going there?

Not in Western PA. By Facebook "likes," its

1. Pitt
2. PSU
3. OSU

They dont list more than that. ND and WVU are fighting for 4th and 5th

Reactions: bwh05
Its dogma similar to PSU.

PSU was pulling solid classes almost literally with Paterno being a Weekend at Bernie's dead body being wheeled around campus in a wheel barrel.

We don't get it, because even more than most schools, an urban university is even more removed from it. But, you get these bucolic type schools, and in NDs case the religious ties, and there becomes a mystic to it that just vexes some kids, and it can be a wizard of oz type thing like this.

And, as others highlighted in other threads, there IS something to the network out there post graduation for NDers ...

Steel is going to end up looking silly and wrong about jeter, so now he has to make up things about why ND can recruit players.

Simply, it is ND. That is why.

Kelly's a slime bag...please no more nonsense about ND and lofty standards of honesty and integrity

Reactions: MacWino
-This is the head football Coach you want to play for or your kid to play for? Ill stand with Coach Franklin from Penn State all day long over this idiot. What recruits see in this guy is beyond me? Explain it.

-Yea, Im not committing to a school like that, and I dont care if Notre Dame has 1000 National Titles. You think this guy gives a rats ass about his kids outside of football? That's a joke. Look what Narduzzi did for George Hill. Hill would of got ran out of Notre Dame faster than Usain Bolt's 40 time. Sorry badby, you couldnt pay me to even visit there, and I dont care how much tradition Notre Dame has. Going after his own staff and threatens to punch him on the field Yea, he cares about his staff and players alright. Family like football program huh? Please

Complete bull. Every program in the country gives Hill a medical exemption and lets him stay on scholarship, but not on the 85. Literally the easiest decision a coach could ever make. It doesn't affect him AT ALL to do it. It doesn't take any courage or care.

ND isn't competing with national programs for national recruits, and winning anyways. OSU, Michigan, Bama, are a big step ahead of ND in recruiting but they sure are doing very well with those regional types, those recruits that aren't exactly national 5 star guys but very coveted from schools like us.

You people really don't know ? It's TV ? That glamour and ego. Plus Mom and dad can see you every game with out traveling to south bend. Recruits will rethink because they will be average at best this year. will lose at least 3 more games.

rip, it is complete bull. because of the circumstance the ship given to hill doesn't even count towards the ship number. every single school would have done the same thing.

Complete bull. Every program in the country gives Hill a medical exemption and lets him stay on scholarship, but not on the 85. Literally the easiest decision a coach could ever make. It doesn't affect him AT ALL to do it. It doesn't take any courage or care.

i know for a fact that it didn't matter if fat Charlie was still coaching at ND, Jurkovec was committing there and not to a particular coach.

Sour grapes over Jeter.

Anyway, take a look at Saban's sideline demeanor? Meyer's? Hell go watch a HS game and watch their coaches demeanor. This is nothing new.

Reactions: NCDomer
Kelly's scum. Go talk to the parents of the kid whose death is attributable to Kelly's stupidity.

Correct Del. It went away somehow. It wouldn't have if I was a parent of the kid. Kelly is at least partly responsible, and should have been punished for it. I am catholic, and I was surprised they hired him with his PR deficiencies. Also, ND has really underachieved with the talent they accumulate year in and year out.

How much were they paid?
I'm sure they were paid. You think that would change their feelings toward the University though? If they really thought it was Kelly and ND's fault, pretty sure they wouldn't attend games, let their other children attend, ect.
First post? Beat it....
Yep. It popped up on my Yahoo new's feed. I'm a paying member of Rivals so no need to visit the peasant boards on a daily basis.

Reactions: thomasna
I'm sure their other children are being given a free education and will be given any and all networking opportunities for jobs when they graduate. And I'm sure mom and dad's bank account has a few more zeroes than it did in September, 2010. And I'll bet that they both promised to shut up in exchange.

"This is the head football Coach you want to play for or your kid to play for?" I don't know, but according to the video I guess he is not the type of head coach I would want my kid coaching with.

How mad is the OP?
This mad apparently.
brian-kelly-u-mad-bro.jpg

The Off The GridIron Problems can't be excused, nor his behavior on the Field, and he is a brilliant Coach, but ND has Higher Standards, and soon will go back to them, and they can attract a far better Coach, that resides in Houston, Navy, and Stanford too!

Way to go Steel, now all of the subway alums are going to jump on this board.

It's very simple. Like others have stated, ND sells itself. It doesn't matter that the current coaching staff, and likely the coaches recruiting Jeter, won't be there for his first season. Players go there for the prestige of running onto that field, and in some cases, for the high quality of education you will receive at ND.

If I have to repeat this ad nauseum to get it through your heads I wil......If a local kid doesn't want to come here then go beat the bushes and get another another kid comparable or if you strike it right better than the one who leaves...that is all part of recruiting.....the angst over losing a kid baffles me on this board....

If I have to repeat this ad nauseum to get it through your heads I wil......If a local kid doesn't want to come here then go beat the bushes and get another another kid comparable or if you strike it right better than the one who leaves...that is all part of recruiting.....the angst over losing a kid baffles me on this board....

I think it has more to do with how Pitt lost Jeter in this case. Pitt had really put a lot of effort into his recruitment, local kid, brother on the hoops squad, ND not on his radar not that long ago... This one stings a little more.

Kelly's scum. Go talk to the parents of the kid whose death is attributable to Kelly's stupidity.

Yes, go talk to them. You will come away very surprised. Actually, Declan Sullivan's parents are still very supportive of Kelly and Notre Dame.

"The family — whose ties to the campus and its sister school, St. Mary's College, go back several decades — witnessed how much his death distressed the Notre Dame community and had no desire to compound that grief with a lawsuit or public criticism, Barry Sullivan said.

A week after the accident, the university's president, the Rev. John I. Jenkins, sent a letter to students and alumni, expressing his sorrow and accepting personal responsibility for the accident. "Declan Sullivan was entrusted to our care, and we failed to keep him safe," Jenkins wrote.

The letter's sentiment set the tone for Declan's parents' dealings with the university, Sullivan said.

"We saw people that were obviously suffering," he said. "They felt a great sense of responsibility for what happened. How could we add to their pain with displays of anger or anything like that?"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...lan-sullivan-barry-sullivan-football-practice

"They did not have the moral outrage that others mustered for them. They acknowledged that Notre Dame had made mistakes, that his death could and should have been prevented. Yet the Sullivans cheered, for Notre Dame and for its football team, even louder than before. Their daughter, Gwyneth or Wyn, as she is called, continued to attend college there. Their other son, Macartan, known as Mac, recently submitted his application."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/s...ds-to-death-by-not-pointing-fingers.html?_r=0

"What does a stricken family do two years later? They still love Notre Dame.

Wyn is a junior there, studying this semester in Ireland. Mac is a high school senior, looking at joining his sister on the campus where there is a memorial to their brother.

The tribute includes a plaque with a poem, a shamrock and the initials DDS, a couple of benches, and some trees. It is not far from the practice field where the lift collapsed. It is also at the spot where the family once used as a meeting place after Notre Dame games, Barry and Mac tossing the football, waiting for Declan.

The family deeply appreciates the gesture of the memorial
, though Alison, an avid gardener, was a little worried about the trees. "Let's not plant a tree,'' she told her husband. "Because if the tree dies, I would feel bad.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport.../lopresti-notre-dame-declan-sullivan/1701367/

"Declan’s parents still live near Chicago. Barry is an engineer by trade, and Allison is a physician. They don’t blame the Fighting Irish football program or the school that was so important to their son. If anything, Barry Sullivan said, the success Notre Dame has had this season has helped them feel closer to Declan.

“It’s a positive experience for us. Right after the accident, I kind of wondered, ‘Will we ever be able to enjoy a football game, enjoy being on the campus?’ ” Sullivan said. “But we really have. I’m glad we’ve been able to do that.”

I’d have to say the experience, if anything has drawn us closer” to the school.

The Declan Drumm Sullivan Memorial Fund, buoyed by an undisclosed donation from Notre Dame, helps support Chicago area organizations such as Horizons for Youth, a nonprofit that provides mentoring, tutoring, family counseling for underprivileged children.

In addition, Notre Dame announced an endowed scholarship in Declan’s name and erected a marker near the LaBar Football Practice Fields. The memorial includes a rock with a plaque that features a shamrock and Declan’s initials. It’s the same spot the Sullivans used to meet Declan on campus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...7b9df8-504a-11e2-835b-02f92c0daa43_story.html

Well, I don't even know what to say. If my son died that way after the initial concern he expressed about the high winds, and they did not give him the ok to come down, I would be furious. The kid died, and responsibility unquestionably goes to ND and its program. The parents let ND off the hook with their compromising, but it wouldn't have happened if it were my son, nothing can replace a child, not millions of $$$$, deals, or anything else. And, if you can defend Kelly's record there with the blue-chip recruiting that they have done, good for you.

-That still doesnt explain why he never inks Top 10 recruiting classes. He's also only inked 3 PA players the last 5 years. Notre Dame hasnt done anything in PA recruiting and now all of a sudden, in another down year and getting knocked out of the Top 25 again by week 3, he's cleaning up PA recruits in 2017 and 2018. Yea, something doesnt smell right here.
Maybe the Pa recruits weren't as highly rated in the past as this year. All the football factories go from state to state in search for the best recruits. NJ is having a down year and Michigan and Ohio State really haven't been recruiting there this year.

Yes, go talk to them. You will come away very surprised. Actually, Declan Sullivan's parents are still very supportive of Kelly and Notre Dame.

"The family — whose ties to the campus and its sister school, St. Mary's College, go back several decades — witnessed how much his death distressed the Notre Dame community and had no desire to compound that grief with a lawsuit or public criticism, Barry Sullivan said.

A week after the accident, the university's president, the Rev. John I. Jenkins, sent a letter to students and alumni, expressing his sorrow and accepting personal responsibility for the accident. "Declan Sullivan was entrusted to our care, and we failed to keep him safe," Jenkins wrote.

The letter's sentiment set the tone for Declan's parents' dealings with the university, Sullivan said.

"We saw people that were obviously suffering," he said. "They felt a great sense of responsibility for what happened. How could we add to their pain with displays of anger or anything like that?"

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...lan-sullivan-barry-sullivan-football-practice

"They did not have the moral outrage that others mustered for them. They acknowledged that Notre Dame had made mistakes, that his death could and should have been prevented. Yet the Sullivans cheered, for Notre Dame and for its football team, even louder than before. Their daughter, Gwyneth or Wyn, as she is called, continued to attend college there. Their other son, Macartan, known as Mac, recently submitted his application."

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/12/30/s...ds-to-death-by-not-pointing-fingers.html?_r=0

Wyn is a junior there, studying this semester in Ireland. Mac is a high school senior, looking at joining his sister on the campus where there is a memorial to their brother.

The tribute includes a plaque with a poem, a shamrock and the initials DDS, a couple of benches, and some trees. It is not far from the practice field where the lift collapsed. It is also at the spot where the family once used as a meeting place after Notre Dame games, Barry and Mac tossing the football, waiting for Declan.

, though Alison, an avid gardener, was a little worried about the trees. "Let's not plant a tree,'' she told her husband. "Because if the tree dies, I would feel bad.''

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport.../lopresti-notre-dame-declan-sullivan/1701367/

"Declan’s parents still live near Chicago. Barry is an engineer by trade, and Allison is a physician. They don’t blame the Fighting Irish football program or the school that was so important to their son. If anything, Barry Sullivan said, the success Notre Dame has had this season has helped them feel closer to Declan.

“It’s a positive experience for us. Right after the accident, I kind of wondered, ‘Will we ever be able to enjoy a football game, enjoy being on the campus?’ ” Sullivan said. “But we really have. I’m glad we’ve been able to do that.”

The Declan Drumm Sullivan Memorial Fund, buoyed by an undisclosed donation from Notre Dame, helps support Chicago area organizations such as Horizons for Youth, a nonprofit that provides mentoring, tutoring, family counseling for underprivileged children.

In addition, Notre Dame announced an endowed scholarship in Declan’s name and erected a marker near the LaBar Football Practice Fields. The memorial includes a rock with a plaque that features a shamrock and Declan’s initials. It’s the same spot the Sullivans used to meet Declan on campus.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/spor...7b9df8-504a-11e2-835b-02f92c0daa43_story.html

I am deeply sorry for this family's loss . But the person rersponsible for this death was Coach Kelly and, because they hired him and continue to support his actions, Notre Dame University is complicit. His indifference to the boy's death immediately and thereafter is an etched in stone indication of his character.

I hesitate to say this and mean no disrespect, but the family's inability to adequately place responsibility on Notre Dame and particularly on Coach Kelly and making statements such as "I'd have to say the experience, if anything has drawn us closer"'to the school'. is eerily reminiscent of a cult.

I am happy that they have found peace through Notre Dame Football.

image.jpg

Well, I don't even know what to say. If my son died that way after the initial concern he expressed about the high winds, and they did not give him the ok to come down, I would be furious. The kid died, and responsibility unquestionably goes to ND and its program. The parents let ND off the hook with their compromising, but it wouldn't have happened if it were my son, nothing can replace a child, not millions of $$$$, deals, or anything else. And, if you can defend Kelly's record there with the blue-chip recruiting that they have done, good for you.
Holding onto hatred and bitterness will kill a person's soul. It takes a lot of emotional energy to keep the animus going. Nothing can replace a child, or any loved one...and letting the hatred and bitterness fester won't either. Good for the Sullivan family letting those responsible off the hook. Of course it doesn't make Notre Dame or Kelly less guilty of their malfeasance and gross negligence. It was a way for the Sullivan's to move forward with their lives.

What year did you get your ND degree?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT