ADVERTISEMENT

CFB conferences are dumb. Let's get rid of them

HailToPitt725

Head Coach
May 16, 2016
Think about it, the traditional athletic conference is objectively obsolete today, at least for football. There's no reason why we should be in a conference with Cal, SMU, and Stanford. Who wants to watch those games anyways (besides Pitt fans)?

Instead, why don't we take all the schools wanting to compete at the highest subdivision for football and make them independents. This would be a win for all parties involved, for two reasons:

1) Regionalism and traditions are saved because teams are now able to schedule their biggest rivals without any conference scheduling interference. Pitt could once again schedule Notre Dame, Penn State, and WVU on an annual basis. Schools like Kansas and Missouri could resume the Border War while Oregon and Washington avoid pausing their in-state showdowns in exchange for Maryland and Rutgers. More meaningful games is what makes college football great and is what everyone wants.
2) Disney and FOX have significantly more open dates to create made-for-TV matchups between the elite programs of the country, increasing TV ratings while accomplishing the goal of the proposed "super leagues." Instead of Ohio State playing the likes Indiana and Northwestern, who they have no legitimate history with other than sharing a conference, they could schedule more games against the Georgia's and USC's of the world. Of course, they could still play their former Big Ten foes if the want to, but they could rotate them into their schedule over time instead of being locked into playing them each year. Penn State scheduling its fellow former eastern independents in non-conference play is an example of this.

I'll use Ohio State as an example since they're a blueblood. They could block out 4-5 games each year for permanent rivalry games (Michigan, Michigan State, Illinois, Penn State, Wisconsin), rotate in 2-3 other Big Ten team (Purdue, Iowa), and leave several open dates to play, say, Texas and USC. They'd even have a slot remaining for their annual MAC creampuff game. This really wouldn't look much different from their current schedule except it "trims the fat" from conference scheduling in exchange for more nationally relevant games, retaining their biggest rivalries in the process.

And with no more conference tie-ins getting in the way, you could once again put the highest ranked X number of teams into a real playoff to decide the national champion. To me, this seems like the best way to make everyone happy while increasing revenues through TV ratings... now tell me why I'm wrong.

Who do Fox and Disney pay for this mish mash of independence?
I think you could sell the rights to the entire subdivision as a whole with the bluebloods and other big-name programs getting a larger slice of the pie than others.

I’d imagine whatever direction they go (my radical idea, The Athletic’s ‘Super League,’ keeping the current system), that is what will end up happening in the near future.

I think you could sell the rights to the entire subdivision as a whole with the bluebloods and other big-name programs getting a larger slice of the pie than others.

I’d imagine whatever direction they go (my radical idea, The Athletic’s ‘Super League,’ keeping the current system), that is what will end up happening in the near future.
That would be a large undertaking. First, you’d need to create a new governing body - they aren’t letting the NCAA take a chunk like they do in basketball. They’d need to negotiate a multi network / multi platform agreement. Then get everyone to agree that Penn State should get paid a lot more than Pitt gets paid, for example (based on historical viewership numbers). Then they’d need to agree to an ongoing formula that gets murky because online platforms need to broadcast big games in order for them to grow. But that changes the formula from straight up eyeballs to something more creative. As does time slots and other criteria. Good luck getting half of 135 schools to agree to anything.

Conferences aren’t going away soon. Maybe eventually for football only. But not soon. I’m just hoping the big 2 expand enough that Pitt ends up with a good spot - hopefully the B1G with PSU. But at least in the B12 with WVU.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT