ADVERTISEMENT

Class of 2024 QB Recruiting

GreatBear71

Scholarship
May 9, 2005
It seems to me that it will be hard to get a QB out of high school, when looking at the current roster depth chart. Since the depth chart is 4 deep before another QB, I think we will not recruit the position out of high school, and just do a transfer. Discuss.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
I don’t follow it enough to know who was or is out there but if any coach isn’t recruiting for that position every year at the HS level he should be fired.

I don’t follow it enough to know who was or is out there but if any coach isn’t recruiting for that position every year at the HS level he should be fired.
I mean pat is obviously trying but they are having a really hard time getting anyone out of HS that wants to play QB here.

I’ve said enough why I think that is so I won’t really rehash it but it’s becoming pretty damn clear IMO

Reactions: redbyrds
Part of the problem has been the inability to land big-time receivers in the same classes as these quarterbacks. No matter how good our overall team is supposed to be, these guys want someone to throw to. I bet Minchey stays if we land Hykeem Williams last year. Conversely, I bet Slovis doesn't come here if Addison transfers before he commits (wouldn't have been a big loss anyway, as it turned out).

Look at how many QBs in the NFL are publically pounding the table for certain receivers or making free agency decisions based upon the receiving personnel. Between that and them posting about building a rapport together off the field, I feel like recruits have began to emulate that mindset.

Now, if some of the young receivers on the roster turn out to be all that and a bag of chips, we're at least an attractive transfer destination for a QB.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
Part of the problem has been the inability to land big-time receivers in the same classes as these quarterbacks. No matter how good our overall team is supposed to be, these guys want someone to throw to. I bet Minchey stays if we land Hykeem Williams last year. Conversely, I bet Slovis doesn't come here if Addison transfers before he commits (wouldn't have been a big loss anyway, as it turned out).

Look at how many QBs in the NFL are publically pounding the table for certain receivers or making free agency decisions based upon the receiving personnel. Between that and them posting about building a rapport together off the field, I feel like recruits have began to emulate that mindset.

Now, if some of the young receivers on the roster turn out to be all that and a bag of chips, we're at least an attractive transfer destination for a QB.
Furthermore, it becomes a difficult circle to break. Big time QB's want big time WR's to throw to and big time WR's want to know that there is going to be someone to get them the ball.

Cruzer

I'd study the data and target QBs who have the traits or good/great college QBs but also don't have the traits that NFL teams are looking for. I'm thinking height would he an important factor. That way, when Pitt ends up recruiting a really good QB, he'll be a multi year starter.

I'd study the data and target QBs who have the traits or good/great college QBs but also don't have the traits that NFL teams are looking for. I'm thinking height would he an important factor. That way, when Pitt ends up recruiting a really good QB, he'll be a multi year starter.
This is a really good thought. Much like hoops, one and done types aren’t great things for our program. We won’t get them anyway. But we also aren’t going to be playoff material (likewise final four material) immediately in one year, even if we did get one. Of course it might be ideal to score an excellent transfer QB who can be awesome immediately, but the issue with that route as we’ve seen us we’re more likely to get Slovis than Burrow.

So overall we are better with players like Pickett (or Patti, if only our coaches realized) who have flaws out of high school and maybe a bit slight or pudgy (so scouting services and NIL agents haven’t drooled about him already since 8th grade). They kind that are raw but were HS winners, can get better each year but just incrementally so (so aren’t tempted to transfer or join the draft prematurely).

Leading to one bright shining final season like Pickett’s final year (or possibly how Patti’s final year might have been, if the coaches hadn’t promised Slovis the job unconditionally the previous January as they clearly must have).

Eh. It’s not that easy a decision or process though or anyone could do it, so I don’t envy the coaches (other than their salaries of course)

This is a really good thought. Much like hoops, one and done types aren’t great things for our program. We won’t get them anyway. But we also aren’t going to be playoff material (likewise final four material) immediately in one year, even if we did get one. Of course it might be ideal to score an excellent transfer QB who can be awesome immediately, but the issue with that route as we’ve seen us we’re more likely to get Slovis than Burrow.

So overall we are better with players like Pickett (or Patti, if only our coaches realized) who have flaws out of high school and maybe a bit slight or pudgy (so scouting services and NIL agents haven’t drooled about him already since 8th grade). They kind that are raw but were HS winners, can get better each year but just incrementally so (so aren’t tempted to transfer or join the draft prematurely).

Leading to one bright shining final season like Pickett’s final year (or possibly how Patti’s final year might have been, if the coaches hadn’t promised Slovis the job unconditionally the previous January as they clearly must have).

Eh. It’s not that easy a decision or process though or anyone could do it, so I don’t envy the coaches (other than their salaries of course)

Yeah, I feel like what he's describing is basically Chad Voytik or something. We need to just land the best player we can; we can't worry about them being *too* good. Especially when they have to stay at least three years anyway.

Of course, even many of the ones who were tailor made great college QBs with a poor pro prognostication (Manziel, Young, Tebow, etc.) still got taken in the first round, somehow.

Yeah, I feel like what he's describing is basically Chad Voytik or something. We need to just land the best player we can; we can't worry about them being *too* good. Especially when they have to stay at least three years anyway.

Of course, even many of the ones who were tailor made great college QBs with a poor pro prognostication (Manziel, Young, Tebow, etc.) still got taken in the first round, somehow.
Yes or possibly Da Nooch. That’s where the risk comes in. It might be not merely that these guys have physical limits. They might have serious TALENT limits that can never be overcome.

It’s possible we just didn’t give those guys enough time, or more likely they simply didn’t have it for D1 play.

It just figured Nooch did well in Division 2 or or whatever it was, and got the one in a million NFL shot, even if it was solely due to a moronic family friend who happened to have an NFL job. To make us wonder if his suckiness with Pitt was mostly Watson’s fault. Watson indeed was a trouble coach after all. And the team was at an ebb. But…no. I vividly recall watching him in our games. Tino looked like Peyton Manning in comparo. It wasn’t Watson, it wasn’t the team (exclusively).

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT