ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson Game & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** There’s not much of a storyline to be had this afternoon. We weren’t bad. But Clemson is better.

** I liked the battle in our Panthers in this one. And we never really played poorly as a team. Sure, we had a near fatal offensive lapse early in the second half letting the Tigers stretch their lead to 15. But otherwise, we were getting shots.

** Defensively, we weren’t a mess either. In fact, we executed OK on the other end, save a poor defensive decision by Bub around the 7 minute mark to leave Girard on the perimeter for a wide open three after a Blake three cut the lead to 6 points.

** Beyond that, Clemson’s offensive execution was commendable, and was certainly enough to keep the Panthers at arms length.

** Still, there are a good handful of teams in the ACC we can beat playing the way we played today. Certainly playing as hard as we did today. Especially how hard we played to cut the Clemson lead from 15 to 2.

** Yet the question remains for our Panthers after this one is how we can truly get better.

** For better or worse, Blake really can’t get any better. For two straight games, he’s tried to carry the Panthers to a win down the stretch. He almost did so.

** On his three that cut the Clemson lead to four, he was right in our direct sight line when he fired his second straight three from the corner. He was so deep, it didn’t look like it was even possible to get the ball to the basket I yelled: “you can’t be serious!” But Blake sure was. He was every bit of 27 points of serious this day.

** Ish was pretty equally serious, and it’s hard to ask much more from him either. His best play was the perfect drive to the hoop to cut the lead to 2. He gave up some looks to Girard but a couple of those shots were so tough it was more of a situation where maybe it was just better to tip your cap and move on.

** But most of our early season hype was built around Bub, and there’s certainly some room for him to look a little better.

** Maybe it’s more fair to say there’s room for Bub to shoot better. I can’t say that Bub played poorly, He hasn’t really ever played poorly in the last four games. But he’s taking lots of shots, and missing more that the Panthers can afford.

** In his last four games, he’s 16-50 from the floor. That’s 32% if you don’t like to do math. In the same stretch, he’s 4-22 from three. If my math is correct, that’s a lot less than 32%.

** I should also add that I don’t see Bub taking bad ones. In fact, he does a pretty good job getting himself pretty good shots. Just not enough are going.

** A really nice one was a pretty and strong drive to the basket that just didn’t go down around the 9 minute mark. It resulted in a foul by Ish and the lead that could have been cut to 8 slid back to 11 on the other end.

** The problem with Bub’s shooting maybe isn’t just with Bub though, It seems that beyond the big three, no one else is showing themselves as either ready, willing or able to make shots.

** Fede showed a little bit of nice offensive spark early in the game, but struggled to find any offensive success down the stretch when scoring points was at a premium.

** His drive to the basket at the 3 minute mark wasn’t unwelcome, but since he’s not a good finisher a foul was the best one could hope for and his pitches from the foul line looked poor to say the least.

** And if even you don’t think Fede was that good today, he was clearly the better option this day than GDiaz, who really struggled on both ends of the court.

** I’ve never been one who’s been a card carrying member of the Twins Talent Fan Club, but I do believe that for this team to reach their potential, Diaz the center needs to bring more than the 3-11 from the floor and the 1-8 from three that he’s produced over the last four games.

** Additionally, he’s struggled defensively, both with physicality and staying with his man off the dribble, and his screen setting has been largely ineffectual.

** We already know that Will doesn’t have it in him to contribute offensively so I’ll leave him out of the getting better equation.

** I don’t know if JDiaz deserves a little bit of a look, nor do I know why Coach Capel is reluctant to do so.

** After the second game of the season, I expressed some hope that Jaland woujd emerge as our sixth man. But since his 12 point burst against FGC, he’s 4-17 from the floor and 1-5 from three. This team needs more from him. It remains to be seen if it's even in him this year.

** All told, our bench played 32 ineffective minutes, and came up with a goose egg on the score sheet. For the Panthers to be better, they need to be better. Maybe something closer to 50 decent minutes tossing in around 10 points per game.

** Today, obviously 10 more points would be been enough to win.

** I came into this game thinking that Clemson was likely better than our Panthers, and they proved it. I don’t believe WVU is better than our Panthers. I see the game in Morgantown is a great opportunity for parts of this team to begin bringing more production to the table.

** It’s too early to proclaim this team can’t end up getting into the tournament. But at the moment they look like they are short on the needed execution and firepower to get there. It’s time for this whole team to truly begin the journey to being the best team they can be.

** It’s too early to proclaim this team can’t end up getting into the tournament. But at the moment they look like they are short on the needed execution and firepower to get there. It’s time for this whole team to truly begin the journey to being the best team they can be.

Its not too early. I proclaimed it. Not enough left. Need to go 14-3 in the ACC + 2 Duke losses. Next to impossible.

I was right when I said the winner of Pitt/Wake in January would be in and loser out.

** There’s not much of a storyline to be had this afternoon. We weren’t bad. But Clemson is better.

** I liked the battle in our Panthers in this one. And we never really played poorly as a team. Sure, we had a near fatal offensive lapse early in the second half letting the Tigers stretch their lead to 15. But otherwise, we were getting shots.

** Defensively, we weren’t a mess either. In fact, we executed OK on the other end, save a poor defensive decision by Bub around the 7 minute mark to leave Girard on the perimeter for a wide open three after a Blake three cut the lead to 6 points.

** Beyond that, Clemson’s offensive execution was commendable, and was certainly enough to keep the Panthers at arms length.

** Still, there are a good handful of teams in the ACC we can beat playing the way we played today

** The question for our Panthers after this one is how we can get better.

** For better or worse, Blake really can’t get any better. For two straight games, he’s tried to carry the Panthers to a win down the stretch. He almost did so.

** On his three that cut the Clemson lead to four, he was right in our direct sight line when he fired his second straight three from the corner. He was so deep, it didn’t look like it was even possible to get the ball to the basket I yelled: “you can’t be serious!” But Blake sure was. He was every bit of 27 points of serious this day.

** Ish was pretty equally serious, and it’s hard to ask much more from him either. His best play was the perfect drive to the hoop to cut the lead to 2. He gave up some looks to Girard but a couple of those shots were so tough it was more of a situation where maybe it was just better to tip your cap and move on.

** But most of our early season hype was built around Bub, and there’s certainly some room for him to look a little better.

** Maybe it’s more fair to say there’s room for Bub to shoot better. I can’t say that Bub played poorly, He hasn’t really ever played poorly in the last four games. But he’s taking lots of shots, and missing more that the Panthers can afford.

** In his last four games, he’s 16-50 from the floor. That’s 32% if you don’t like to do math. In the same stretch, he’s 4-22 from three. If my math is correct, that’s a lot less than 32%.

** I should also add that I don’t see Bub taking bad ones. In fact, he does a pretty good job getting himself pretty good shots. Just not enough are going.

** A really nice one was a pretty and strong drive to the basket that just didn’t go down around the 9 minute mark. It resulted in a foul by Ish and the lead that could have been cut to 8 slid back to 11 on the other end.

** The problem with Bub’s shooting maybe isn’t just with Bub though, It seems that beyond the big three, no one else is showing themselves as either ready, willing or able to make shots.

** Fede showed a little bit of nice offensive spark early in the game, but struggled to find any offensive success down the stretch when scoring points was at a premium.

** His drive to the basket at the 3 minute mark wasn’t unwelcome, but since he’s not a good finisher a foul was the best one could hope for and his pitches from the foul line looked poor to say the least.

** And if even you don’t think Fede was that good today, he was clearly the better option this day than GDiaz, who really struggled on both ends of the court.

** I’ve never been one who’s been a card carrying member of the Twins Talent Fan Club, but I do believe that for this team to reach their potential, Diaz the center needs to bring more than the 3-11 from the floor and the 1-8 from three that he’s produced over the last four games.

** Additionally, he’s struggled defensively, both with physicality and staying with his man off the dribble, and his screen setting has been largely ineffectual.

** We already know that Will doesn’t have it in him to contribute offensively so I’ll leave him out of the getting better equation.

** I don’t know if JDiaz deserves a little bit of a look, nor do I know why Coach Capel is reluctant to do so.

** After the second game of the season, I expressed some hope that Jaland woujd emerge as our sixth man. But since his 12 point burst against FGC, he’s 4-17 from the floor and 1-5 from three. This team needs more from him. It remains to be seen if it's even in him this year.

** All told, our bench played 32 ineffective minutes, and came up with a goose egg on the score sheet. For the Panthers to be better, they need to be better. Maybe something closer to 50 decent minutes tossing in around 10 points per game.

** I came into this game thinking that Clemson was likely better than our Panthers, and they proved it. I don’t believe WVU is better than our Panthers. I see the game in Morgantown is a great opportunity for parts of this team to begin bringing more production to the table.

Fede has a total of 3 defensive rebounds as our starting center the last 3 games combined. He is averaging 27 minutes per game in the last 3 games.

Against Florida, Fede managed 3 defensive rebounds. That's a total of 6 defensive rebounds in 4 games against P6 teams.

Ive said the same thing now in maybe 4 different threads. This is unfathomable to me. You should get at least 1 defensive rebound just off a foul shot miss a lone. He is so pathetically bad at rebounding.

Fede has a total of 3 defensive rebounds as our starting center the last 3 games combined. He is averaging 27 minutes per game in the last 3 games.

Against Florida, Fede managed 3 defensive rebounds. That's a total of 6 defensive rebounds in 4 games against P6 teams.

Fede is almost unplayable. Need to go GDG and hope he improves. Fede reminds me of Jurkovec. Just totally lost it.

Reactions: rockypanther
DT,

Blake was more than equal to Girard…our bigs allowed Clemson to offensively own the paint, and offered little resistance.

i can accept Bub getting good looks, and shooting. While he’s being defended physically and pushed, he keeps his wits and strives to make us efficient. I didn’t think he was rushing and was an effective facilitato.

if our bigs held their own, we win.

Hail to PITT!
-Al-

Lots of issues with this team at the moment: not enough scoring balance; no easy buckets in transition or otherwise; too little toughness up front; no true PG who can break down a defender, draw defenders to him and then hit an open man, and no bench strength. This team sorely misses Dior and Kante. Austin hasn’t delivered as much as you’d expect from a plug in and play transfer forward on a team with a C with no offensive game.

Reactions: rockypanther
Thought the crowd was ok considering. Little more than Mizzou (fewer students though) it looked like. Kinda goes to show you Pitt is getting like 0 local Yinzers coming to these games when you get the same crowd for Tuesday night vs a Sunday opposite the Steelers.

Back when this board was making ACC
predictions, I posted that Clemson should be
in the upper level of the ACC with Duke, UNC,
and Miami. I also said that Hall , good as he is,
is IMO, underrated, and adding Girard would
make them even stronger. Well, that all looked
true enough today.

What I didn't know was how good Shieffelin is.
He out toughed us inside and had 17 rebounds,
7 on the offensive boards. Hall was Hall, 22 pts
and 11 boardds. As a team they outrebounded
us 40-33. Girard defintely moves them up a notch.

OF course I still don't think they're a middle
of the pack ACC team. They were screwed out
of an NCAAT invite last season. Doubt it happens
again.

Pitt?.....learning, getting better, and I'm still
optimistic.

Might miss a few things as I prob saw about only 70% of the game, otherwise occupied.

-don’t see this as a bad loss but there were some things Pitt did bad. Clemson will make the NCAA Tour & IMO is prob a top 4 team in the ACC. Hall is an NBA player. Their 2nd best player Hunter had a bad game but Joe G caught fire and Schieffelin killed us on the O glass with 7 offensive rebounds.

-Blake is a walking bucket, 60% from 3 and his quick release…just smooth. I know he got 16 shots and to the line a few times, but unless someone else is on fire he should get even more shots. Bub should not have had an equal amount of shots.

I like when Blake posts up and basically just backs down his guy to get to the line. He doesn’t have to have a great post game or jump high as he can literally go straight through his man’s chest to draw fouls. Anytime the other team goes on a run I would set something up to get Blake an iso on the block or mid post to slow down a run.

-I’m not worried about Bub he’s clearly a skilled supreme talent. Right now that he’s playing P5 teams they are getting physical with him and he’s just not strong.

Leaves his feet many times not knowing what he’s going to do instead of coming to a jump stop. He’s more of a combo instead of a PG at this time and IMO he needs to let the game come to him more and not force things. The big games will come.

-PPL say to bench Fede, but he is the anchor of the D, providing rim protection. Sure he will struggle with physical players, but the twins will as well. Not like there is a physical big waiting on the bench. But no excuse for his lack of rebounding.

-Lowe didn’t score and is shooting poorly but to me a lot is just confidence at this point. It’s didn’t show up in the box score but he made 2 nice drives coming to jump stops and finding open guys in the first half but they didn’t hit the shots, so no assist to show for his efforts.

-Pitt needs to beat WVU which they should. Then 3 easy wins vs cupcakes and ending 2023 with Cuse whom Pitt is better than IMO. Do this and this team is sitting at 10-3 going into the UNC game.

Might miss a few things as I prob saw about only 70% of the game, otherwise occupied.

-don’t see this as a bad loss but there were some things Pitt did bad. Clemson will make the NCAA Tour & IMO is prob a top 4 team in the ACC. Hall is an NBA player. Their 2nd best player Hunter had a bad game but Joe G caught fire and Schieffelin killed us on the O glass with 7 offensive rebounds.

-Blake is a walking bucket, 60% from 3 and his quick release…just smooth. I know he got 16 shots and to the line a few times, but unless someone else is on fire he should get even more shots. Bub should not have had an equal amount of shots.

I like when Blake posts up and basically just backs down his guy to get to the line. He doesn’t have to have a great post game or jump high as he can literally go straight through his man’s chest to draw fouls. Anytime the other team goes on a run I would set something up to get Blake an iso on the block or mid post to slow down a run.

-I’m not worried about Bub he’s clearly a skilled supreme talent. Right now that he’s playing P5 teams they are getting physical with him and he’s just not strong.

Leaves his feet many times not knowing what he’s going to do instead of coming to a jump stop. He’s more of a combo instead of a PG at this time and IMO he needs to let the game come to him more and not force things. The big games will come.

-PPL say to bench Fede, but he is the anchor of the D, providing rim protection. Sure he will struggle with physical players, but the twins will as well. Not like there is a physical big waiting on the bench. But no excuse for his lack of rebounding.

-Lowe didn’t score and is shooting poorly but to me a lot is just confidence at this point. It’s didn’t show up in the box score but he made 2 nice drives coming to jump stops and finding open guys in the first half but they didn’t hit the shots, so no assist to show for his efforts.

-Pitt needs to beat WVU which they should. Then 3 easy wins vs cupcakes and ending 2023 with Cuse whom Pitt is better than IMO. Do this and this team is sitting at 10-3 going into the UNC game.

Blake needs to basically have the Jimmer Fredette green light. They should be looking for him on every possession and any bad Blake Hinson shot is about as good as any other shot we get. He makes some of those bad shots.

Blake needs to basically have the Jimmer Fredette green light. They should be looking for him on every possession and any bad Blake Hinson shot is about as good as any other shot we get. He makes some of those bad shots.
Pretty much what I said. Unless a few other guys are hot which can happen he needs even more shots. We know he can get his J off anytime with his quick release. But I would run sets that allow him to play bully ball more. Dude is strong and can get to the line more.

Him and Bub each had 16 shots. Bub as I said is a supreme talent who will eventually be an NBA guy. But against grown men he can be thrown off his game because he’s a 17 year old kid. A talented kid but still skinny and physical play hurts him.

Blake is a grown man and physical play doesn’t hurt him at all. At least 5 of the shots Bub took should have been used to run some type of action to get Blake a shot especially as hot as he was.

Pitt once again lost to a better , more mature , more physical team that played well .

Fede’s play is really the most disappointing thing by far this season. He surprised everyone with his good play last yr and now he’s surprising us with how poorly he’s playing .

I‘m a twin enthusiast, but not at how they’re being deployed . They’re simply not strong enough to square up against bona fide P5 centers . I want them on the wings shooting 3’s . ( not as often as Blake though ) creating mismatches .

Hopefully next yr we’ll say that losing Papa was a big blow to this team . We’ll never know the extent of losing Dior has on this season .

If JC had the final say in expelling Dior I’d blame him on not having enough offensive talent . Let’s put the blame where it’s deserved on the eggheads . Who’s to say who JC might have recruited had he known in Jan that Dior‘s goose was cooked here .

You can’t continue to miss wide open 3’s and expect to win against good teams . Bub and Ish have to come through , you can’t simply expect Blake to carry the entire team .

Bub needs to adapt to the physical play that’s being directed his way . It surprises me that the refs are allowing all bumping and shoving that’s going on .

My biggest concern isn’t Bub cooling off or Ish & Zack having trouble scoring it’s that’s there’s no answer to Pitts inside game on a both ends of the court .

** Still, there are a good handful of teams in the ACC we can beat playing the way we played today. Certainly playing as hard as we did today. Especially how hard we played to cut the Clemson lead from 15 to 2.

** Yet the question remains for our Panthers after this one is how we can truly get better.

Good stuff, DT.

We were better today. I was pretty sure we would not beat Clemson, but we did play well and hard enough to give me hope for the rest of the season.

It is too early to worry about the NCAA. At this point, we just need to improve each time out. I think we played well enough to beat a bunch of teams today. Now we need to go to WVU and get a win.

Reactions: 4upmc
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT