ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson Part Two Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
The game was right there, so many times. Just could not get that stop and possession to get up. Two good teams going at it that both played and extremely hard. The defense on both sides was really good. It felt like a postseason game. Just a strange ending. 12 straight losses, it really is incredible at this point.

The game was probably lost early on. They needed to be up by a lot more than 4 at half. They played SO much better than Clemson in the first half and the result was just a 4 point edge. That was concerning. And still, they battled and had a chance all the way to the end. The margins are just so thin. It can come down to one possession and that can be the difference. Right now, this Pitt team is like a good passing team in the NFL that just can't run the ball to close out games. There are no easy baskets. There is no interior production from the centers. Not even lay ups. No post offense. Just makes it tough.

With all that being said, the team we have seen over the last month is a tournament team. No doubt. Unfortunately, they just started in too big of a hole.

Disappointing night for Blake. Clemson definitely keyed in on him and did a very nice job. Still, just hard to accept the fact that I think he went the last 13 minutes without a shot. Just 4 three attempts and the one was a forced heave where he didn't even get set. That is not going to get it done. Clemson was physical with him but almost all of his drives end in a street fight.

The other thing I couldn't understand is why you take Jaland out. Only 26 minutes and he sat in crunch time for the last 4 minutes. When he first went out, I figured he was just getting a breather until the media timeout. Granted, that didn't really come as planned as play just kept going. Just felt like an odd sub to me. That is part of the risk when you take him out at that point. I know Zack was playing well but I would have went down swinging with my three guard lineup. Maybe that is just me. I just trust Jaland and what he does for the offense more. He didn't have his best night but he is one of their two most clutch players. He was getting past defenders all night.

Speaking of clutch, Bub stepped up in a big way last night. Those two threes were enormous. At the same time, felt like a couple of the drives were forced. The shot following down was not ideal. But, we know that is basically the offense without Jaland on the floor. The challenge last night was that Zack was playing well and you can't get four players on the floor in three spots unless you played Blake at the five. The bottom line is though, this offense really struggles without their point guard.

There is not much else to say about the center position right now. You can't make a trade in college. It is what it is. Just so many dead possessions. Also, how many over the back calls can you take? They are going to call it every time. That is one of the few calls that they never miss. It is an obvious call. Just kills you. The guards literally have to place the ball in their hands within a foot of the rim.

Last night doesn't even hurt that much to me. They played well and gave it their all. Two good teams that came down to a couple of plays. Pitt will will be kicking themselves down the road about the Syracuse games, the Missouri game, etc. There is no shame in last night. Thought the Panthers played extremely well on defense and did about all they could. Just lost on the margins.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News