ADVERTISEMENT

Clemson trip questions on campus and hotels

Visiting teams stay at the Greenville Airport Marriott off I85 which is about 40 miles from Clemson. The area around Pelham Rd and I85 is filled with hotels and restaurants and is the area most frequented by other visiting fans. Death Valley is one of the few stadiums with in and out priveledges so its possible to go back to your tailgate spot during the game if you're in need of a brewski. Traffic in and out of the stadium area is well coordinated by the state police and is usually pretty smooth.

This is what even the opposing teams have to do when they play at Clemson. you guys are right, there's no where to stay in Clemson itself, a town that makes State College look like lower Manhattan. I made this trip with my alma mater's football team several years ago and we all stayed at a hotel in Greenville and bused to Clemson for the practices and the game itself. This was my second trip to Clemson, I had been there about 12 years ago with a buddy who lives in Greenville. I was entirely underwhelmed with the campus, town, bars, and scene on both occasions. Let me tell you if you think State College is a cow town, wait until you see this place.That 25 mile cab ride back to Greenville at 2:30 a.m. after a night of partying that ended at Clemson's top college bar, the "Esso Club" (the place is nothing special), was NOT optimal.

I did stand on my team's sideline in Death Valley for the game, which was very cool. The stadium atmosphere is everything the rest of the Clemson experience is not--awesome. If you were going to pick one road trip to see Pitt play, I'd skip this place.

I'm a South Carolina fan but I'm going to stand up for Clemson here. You are definitely in the minority. Clemson is one of the best atmospheres in all of college football. The fans are generally respectful. The stadium atmosphere is electric. It is everything a small college town is supposed to be. I realize a small college town may not be appealing to someone who roots for a team in a city. You don't even have an on campus stadium. You don't have anything to offer when it compares to Clemson. Next time, before you talk down another program, make sure yours is at least in the same ballpark. As it stands now...Pitt's GameDay atmosphere and overall football program isn't even in the same galaxy as Clemson.

Reactions: I-70 Roadkill
The atmosphere is better than Notre Dame or Michigan on game day. It is an event.There is nothing like the team running down the hill onto the field. Of all away games, Clemson is a must see.
4687343-4499666220-tumbl.gif

For real though. You will have a good time tailgating. Plan on hanging out a bit after the game as well because you won't be going anywhere for a while. Downtown Greenville is fun too. The Westin, as mentioned, is a good spot to stay. As well as anything else on Main Street. Lots of bars and restaurants.

I agree with most everyone here. Greenville is the best option to stay. But like others have said traffic is miserable both ways. If you leave early enough and beat it you can be in clemson in 30 minutes. After the game, if you left right when it ended no lie it will take you over 2 hours to make it back. Just tailgate and let it die down.

If you plan on parking/tailgating where away fans typically do (YMCA beach) don't stay there all day. It's on the outskirts of the tailgating, and a bit of a hike to the stadium. Shuttle are offered though. But I'd suggest walking towards the game atleast a few hours before kick off and exploring the tailgating areas right near the stadium. Southern hospitality is very real, enjoy it.

Also get in the game early. Some people don't get it, and even think it's silly, but rubbing the rock and running down the hill is a very unique tradition and one of those things that makes college football special.

Anyone making the trip will not be disappointed. I grew up in Western NY and have a lot of family and friends from Western PA and all love visiting Clemson. The tailgating is second to none and you will find the Tiger fans very hospitable. Stop by the Clemson message boards if you want recommendations on food/lodging/etc. Most will be very happy to help.

Greenville is a nice place to stay. Asheville is also only another hour up the road (in the direction of Pittsburgh) and a tremendous city in which to spend a long weekend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT