ADVERTISEMENT

College sports and the gov't

pitt90seven

All P I T T !
Gold Member
Dec 5, 2013
here's the article. https://theathletic.com/4086860/2023/01/12/ncaa-convention-congress-federal-nil-law/

i'll give a sample b/c it's really just a quote that is out there anyway. maybe this thread gets political. i don't know. my personal opinion is: 1 - we already saw how the SCOTUS ruled for the players (9-0, i believe). so there's a bit of a precedent. 2 - i really can't see this current congress taking on this task. maybe i'm wrong but even if they take it on, would they agree on anything?

i don't know where this all ends but it doesn't seem to me that it will be a good situation any time soon.

No one ever said it’d be easy to work with Congress. But it may be the only way forward, according to Baylor president Linda Livingstone, who chairs the NCAA Board of Governors, the organization’s highest governing body. Livingstone spent a great deal of time at the NCAA’s annual convention on Thursday detailing the need for Congressional help as the association faces myriad attacks from outside entities. Multiple lawsuits aimed at the economic structure of college athletics are working their way through the courts in a legal environment that appears more supportive of athletes’ rights than ever before. The National Labor Relations Board is proceeding with an unfair labor practice charge filed against USC, the Pac-12 and the NCAA in a push to categorize athletes as employees.

Livingstone repeatedly said that the NCAA needs Congress to protect the categorization of athletes so that they cannot be classified as employees.

“We feel like there’s a great sense of urgency,” Livingstone said. “It’s related in some ways to some of the potential state laws that are out there that the state legislators are looking at. It’s related to some things that could be coming out of some of the federal agencies. So, we absolutely believe that it’s urgent, it’s essential and it’s something that we really need to lean into and make progress on in this legislative session.”

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News