ADVERTISEMENT

DeBoer to Bama

Sometimes you either strike while the iron is hot or stick around until the water finds its level and your school reverts back to being something closer to the norm. Lots of timing/luck involved in this profession.

Since 2016 they have won 10 or more games 5 times. Their last national championship came before teams like Notre Dame and State Penn. Ever is an awfully long time.

I do agree that striking while the iron is hot makes sense.
I know what you are saying, but playing a Big Ten schedule will be far more difficult for them to negotiate. And they caught lightning in a bottle with Penix this year.

Yeah not enough of a track record there if I’m Alabama.
I tend to agree. I didn’t realize he only had 4 years of head coaching experience in NCAA D1; 2 years at Washington and 2 at Fresno St. the rest of his head coaching experience was NAIA, although he did have success.

Supposedly UW more than doubled his $4.2m salary to try to keep him, and he has a $12m buyout. So Alabama opened up the checkbook for him. Can he recruit against the big boys will be the question?

Reactions: pittmeister
UW will never be in the final again. He definitely needs to move while he can.
And with Saban gone Bama might not see it for a long while either. No igjt to DeBoer, who was OC at the likes of Eastern Michigan and Indiana just a few short years ago, but when a GOAT level coach retires, there’s nearly always a dropoff and a power vacuum that follows. UGA is right there to fill it, I expect LSU to be rejoicing in this development as well.

I know he's the flavor of the month, but feels to me like they settled a little too quickly.
Looks like Alabama valued expediency over anything.

Hard to say how this will result? ‘Bama struggled for consistency for quite a while the last time they had to replace a “legend”.

Just have to wait and see. But there are NEVER any guarantees. It’s a 💩shoot. Even for them.

Not much head coaching experience for a job like Alabama. From his end, it's a no brainer. It's rare opportunity to coach at a school like Alabama. Even if it doesn't work out, he'll still land another good job.

Not much head coaching experience for a job like Alabama. From his end, it's a no brainer. It's rare opportunity to coach at a school like Alabama. Even if it doesn't work out, he'll still land another good job.
You never know.? Hard to predict the future. Where did Franchione, Price or Shula go after their failures at Alabama?

Understand DeBoer is the current flavor of the day. Absolutely understand him taking the $$$$$$. He’ll likely be set up for life with what they are paying him.

And maybe he’s tied in to the diamond tycoons and doesn’t GAF? 💎 🤷‍♂️ 😂

Who would you have gone after?
Lanning, Sark, Norvell, Swinney, and Kiffin were not options.
I don’t have an answer. Probably would have emptied the bank to try to lure Urban. Only college HC of our generation who’s in Saban’s class.

Lanning, Sark and DeBoer were the top of their list. Not sure Norvell was a serious candidate. Swinney and Kiffin were never serious candidates.

The other big names came out publicly and said they were staying. Who else would you have gone after?
Who could they possibly have interviewed or had serious discussion with in a couple days? These 4 or 5 guys were the only possible options?

This guy's been a HC at the P5 level for 2 years. He didn't even recruit the majority of guys on his roster. He hasn't built or maintained a a program anywhere.

He could be great, who knows. Just saying it seems quick and like they settled after a few folks spurned them. It's Alabama, why do they need to hurry?

Reactions: pittmaninwv
Franchione ended up at Texas A&M. Price never coached a game for Alabama. Shula's only head coaching experience was at Alabama. DeBoer is 104-12 in 9 years as a head coach. He'll get a good job.

Reactions: pbrad
No matter now he does there, I respect the fact that he’s willing to follow up the greatest college football coach of all time. Certainly no easy task, especially with that fanbase.

Reactions: pbrad
The guy obviously has confidence in his abilities. The pressure at Alabama will be much greater than that at Washington. He has a good base to start with.

Franchione ended up at Texas A&M. Price never coached a game for Alabama. Shula's only head coaching experience was at Alabama. DeBoer is 104-12 in 9 years as a head coach. He'll get a good job.
Well, the guys mentioned were nothing great at ‘Bama.

As far as Franchione at A&M, well:
“The Aggies finished the 2003 season with a 4–8 record, including a nationally televised 77–0 loss to Oklahoma, the worst loss in A&M's history.”

He didn’t do much better after that.

DF was 32-28 at TAMU His gain financially. The Aggies loss on the field.

Like I said. There are NEVER any guarantees

Now if you're a big fish, you tell your agent to leverage you for the Next Alabama opening.

You never want to be the guy who follows a legend. You want to be the guy who follows the guy who followed a legend. More realistic expectations. Seen as a savior after the first replacement ultimately fails.

Big/SEC teams = $100mm per year payouts
Head coaches = $6mm - $15mm
NIL/school pay players the most
Wash will reload at will

This is the new NCAA and the ACC and Big 12 are farm leagues to develop avg talent who will transfer if they are any good.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
He beat lanning twice this year and Sark has it going on at Texas. Sark wasn't moving.
Don't think he played a down in the game, same with Lanning. The reality of it is, the guy should have stayed at Washington. They were willing to double his salary and more importantly, he was "THE MAN" at Washington. Going to Alabama right after Saban left was dumb. He has to do at lest as good, if not better then Saban did or he will be gone in a year or two. Alabama's advantage was their ability to hand out money to the athletes or their family as needed.

Remember back when Saban was hired that RichRod was rumoured to Alabama and WVU extended him and started the whole huge contract buyout trend.

Reactions: pittdan77
Don't think he played a down in the game, same with Lanning. The reality of it is, the guy should have stayed at Washington. They were willing to double his salary and more importantly, he was "THE MAN" at Washington. Going to Alabama right after Saban left was dumb. He has to do at lest as good, if not better then Saban did or he will be gone in a year or two. Alabama's advantage was their ability to hand out money to the athletes or their family as needed.
Does DeBoer care about being the man at Washington? It’s Alabama. Those opportunities rarely come around and it’s worth taking a chance.

Does DeBoer care about being the man at Washington? It’s Alabama. Those opportunities rarely come around and it’s worth taking a chance.
Think I saw that DeBoer owes UW a $12million buyout. He signed an extension there through 2028 in November of 2022 that included those terms.

So the Huskies ought to be in position to use that buyout $$$$ to attract good candidates. But they still can’t be happy about having to be hiring a new HC so soon after KD was extended.

Law of the jungle in college football. The red elephants trampled the husky.

Reactions: pittmeister
But he has a contract with a buyout !
How can he leave for another job with that albatross?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT