ADVERTISEMENT

Eisen defending Michigan. Cringe-worthy

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
don’t know if you get his show in your markets, but he is going full Penn state in his defense of Michigan, his alma mater. He’s attacking the investigation, the investigators, and the newspapers reporting on it. He really thinks this guy recording other teams sidelines acted alone. Over a 3 year period!!! He made some comment like “we need to get that guy away from the program…We don’t need people like that tainting Harbaugh.” Big 10 delusional apologist. Also used the “head coaches don’t know everything going on in their programs” trope. Pathetic. I had to turn it off. It was making be sick. He is completely irrational.

I lost a lot of respect for him over this. He’s absolutely insane and in denial at the same time.

He’s violently asserting Harbaugh and UM had NOTHING to do with stealing signs.

don’t know if you get his show in your markets, but he is going full Penn state in his defense of Michigan, his alma mater. He’s attacking the investigation, the investigators, and the newspapers reporting on it. He really thinks this guy recording other teams sidelines acted alone. Over a 3 year period!!! He made some comment like “we need to get that guy away from the program…We don’t need people like that tainting Harbaugh.” Big 10 delusional apologist. Also used the “head coaches don’t know everything going on in their programs” trope. Pathetic. I had to turn it off. It was making be sick. He is completely irrational.

I lost a lot of respect for him over this. He’s absolutely insane and in denial at the same time.

did not know all the evidence was in on this...

and the newspapers reporting on it....been some pretty interesting newspaper "investigations" at places like Duke and UVA in the recent past that riled up the masses and were completely off base (aka totally untrue) and potentially ruined folks reputations.....

violently asserting???....I don't even know what that is... Sometimes my wife beats me over the head with a rolling pin while asserting she told me ten times to take out the garbage and I did not do so...maybe that qualifies.

I'll wait on this one..

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: FireballZ

Violently? Tell us more.

did not know all the evidence was in on this...

and the newspapers reporting on it....been some pretty interesting newspaper "investigations" at places like Duke and UVA in the recent past that riled up the masses and were completely off base (aka totally untrue) and potentially ruined folks reputations.....

violently asserting???....I don't even know what that is... Sometimes my wife beats me over the head with a rolling pin while asserting she told me ten times to take out the garbage and I did not do so...maybe that qualifies.

I'll wait on this one..
violently: aggressively/angrily-- his voice was shaking.

The evidence isn't all in. So why attack an investigation gathering facts or the people investigating or reporting on it? The guy in question IS on the sidelines and there are records of his visits to all these teams. A little different than the Duke situation.

Reactions: Pitt5593
I don't really understand people who have such a beloved affiliation with something that can see through things like this. Is it the love of the school, or more specifically the perception in your mind, or is winning just that important? I'll never understand it.

The evidence isn't all in. So why attack an investigation gathering facts or the people investigating or reporting on it? The guy in question IS on the sidelines and there are records of his visits to all these teams. A little different than the Duke situation.
I think anyone can look at this situation with intellectual honesty and understand that under the circumstances, it would be difficult for a HC to not realize that having the perfect response to everything your opponent is doing is a bit more than just being a good coordinator or assistant. Heck, you could even rule out luck at this point. The lack of a strong statement from Harbaugh is, by itself, pretty damming. You'd think that someone who was clueless about what was likely happening would be mortified that his accomplishments are tainted and tarnished by even the perception of cheating.

Based on how common sign stealing is, isn’t it also malpractice for any schools that aren’t changing their signals every week?

I think anyone can look at this situation with intellectual honesty and understand that under the circumstances, it would be difficult for a HC to not realize that having the perfect response to everything your opponent is doing is a bit more than just being a good coordinator or assistant.

The Athletic polled 50 FBS coaches and asked them "does Jim Harbaugh have plausible deniability?" Only six of them said yes.

“I don’t believe (Harbaugh) organized or started it, but if some young guy comes up to me and says, ‘I’ve got all of their signals,’ well, I’m thinking, ‘I know you did something that you shouldn’t have,’” one Big Ten defensive coordinator said. “That’s on the coordinators. And if I’m the head coach and I’m watching one of my recruiting analysts have a constant flow of information with my coordinators during a game, I’m wondering what is going on there or I’m an idiot.”

I don't really understand people who have such a beloved affiliation with something that can see through things like this. Is it the love of the school, or more specifically the perception in your mind, or is winning just that important? I'll never understand it.
Its kinda like fanboys who want to pay kids to play at their school until they're driving for Uber Eats

Reactions: PSUFanatic in MA
The Athletic polled 50 FBS coaches and asked them "does Jim Harbaugh have plausible deniability?" Only six of them said yes.

“I don’t believe (Harbaugh) organized or started it, but if some young guy comes up to me and says, ‘I’ve got all of their signals,’ well, I’m thinking, ‘I know you did something that you shouldn’t have,’” one Big Ten defensive coordinator said. “That’s on the coordinators. And if I’m the head coach and I’m watching one of my recruiting analysts have a constant flow of information with my coordinators during a game, I’m wondering what is going on there or I’m an idiot.”
That sums up how I was thinking about it pretty well.

My favorite line from Eisen is when he said that the perpetrators are gone "root and branch" without a hint of irony as to who the root is.

Reactions: Dan1911
My favorite line from Eisen is when he said that the perpetrators are gone "root and branch" without a hint of irony as to who the root is.

Everyone at one time or another has tried to steal signs.

Everyone at one time or another has tried to steal signs.
And every program financially incentivizes players to join their program. Does that mean the hammer shouldn’t come down if indisputable and video evidence emerges of a school’s assistant coach rolling up to high school stadiums handing out bags of cash?

Reactions: Dan1911
And every program financially incentivizes players to join their program. Does that mean the hammer shouldn’t come down if indisputable and video evidence emerges of a school’s assistant coach rolling up to high school stadiums handing out bags of cash?
Enforce all the rules or none of the rules. That is a huge problem.

Hey lived through watching PSU…. If anyone was ever deserving of the death penalty… instead there was rioting over firing a coach who was a decade past his retirement….

Didn’t see much concession there… they were looking for an award or trophy or something

Did they give names?

Of the coaches they surveyed? No, of course not. Because they aren't going to participate if you do.
Right.

They should use former coaches that will go on record, or just not put the "quotes" in the article. This screams of shoddy journalism that is more than likely totally made up.

Reality: of course he knew, but it's carried out to where he seems to have plausible deniability. Also, what college coach doesn't break rules to get some kind of an edge?

Right.

They should use former coaches that will go on record, or just not put the "quotes" in the article. This screams of shoddy journalism that is more than likely totally made up.

Reality: of course he knew, but it's carried out to where he seems to have plausible deniability. Also, what college coach doesn't break rules to get some kind of an edge?

So it's better to use the coaches names and get nothing rather than give them anonymity and hear (and write about) what they really think?

Yeah, that's a position.

So it's better to use the coaches names and get nothing rather than give them anonymity and hear (and write about) what they really think?

Yeah, that's a position.
Yes it is. Because you have no clue if this journo actually spoke to a single coach, or if their whole story was pulled from their ass.

Do you think 50 FBS coaches are actually going to willingly give some journo 5 minutes of their time?

Yes it is. Because you have no clue if this journo actually spoke to a single coach, or if their whole story was pulled from their ass.

Do you think 50 FBS coaches are actually going to willingly give some journo 5 minutes of their time?
Yes, 50 FBS coaches/coordinators/assistants are going to give Bruce Feldman or a reporter from The Athletic 5 minutes of their time. This isn’t some local paper and connections are everything in coaching.
Basically everything that we ever hear about that isn’t part of the live event is because some coach gave some reporter 5 minutes of their time.

Purdue coach:
"It's unfortunate," Walters said Thursday night on his radio show. "What's crazy is they weren't allegations. It happened. There's video evidence. There's ticket purchases and sales that you can track back. We know for a fact that they were at a number of our games, so we've had to teach our guys a new language in terms of some signals."

Michigan should just move to the SEC where it's pretty common to cheat and nobody tattles on each other.
You would be surprised.

Georgia actually got the ball rolling in the Jeremy Pruitt/Tennessee NCAA prove over the recruitment of Amarius Mims. Darnell Washington also took a bag from the Vols and both guys signed with UGA. 😂😂😂

Over 20 years ago, the entire league turned on Alabama, because the Tide waa significantly outbidding everyone else in the league for recruits.

Mike DuBose & Skoal Can Pruitt are a couple Bama boys that just didn't have the organizational or people skills to run a SEC rogue program successfully.

Reactions: JJTopp99
Yes, 50 FBS coaches/coordinators/assistants are going to give Bruce Feldman or a reporter from The Athletic 5 minutes of their time. This isn’t some local paper and connections are everything in coaching.
Basically everything that we ever hear about that isn’t part of the live event is because some coach gave some reporter 5 minutes of their time.
Coaches aren't going to take 5 minutes of their time for some anonymous survey question. Talking to Bruce Feldman or some other national reporter anonymously doesn't benefit them in the least.

Many often do leak info through trusted local media mouthpieces, either to give insight on team issues or control a narrative.

Unless the media is being used to serve some agenda, most coaches aren't going to give them the time of day. And this article clearly doesn't benefit them in any way.

Make up rules as one wants as they grab their pitchfork?

That was described as rioting. Yet, in summer of 2020 there millions upon millions of $$$ destruction described as protests.
lol 😂

Save it Nitter

Coaches aren't going to take 5 minutes of their time for some anonymous survey question. Talking to Bruce Feldman or some other national reporter anonymously doesn't benefit them in the least.

Many often do leak info through trusted local media mouthpieces, either to give insight on team issues or control a narrative.

Unless the media is being used to serve some agenda, most coaches aren't going to give them the time of day. And this article clearly doesn't benefit them in any way.
No, you're right Sherlock. He made it all up. Glad we can count such a sharp-witted mind among our alumni.

No, you're right Sherlock. He made it all up. Glad we can count such a sharp-witted mind among our alumni.
Yeah, he probably did to some degree. I'd say that's almost a sure thing.

And there is absolutely no way anyone can refute the story either, which is exactly the point.

It's lazy tabloid journalism.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT