ADVERTISEMENT

Emotional Send-Off Awaits Pitt Seniors, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
The concept sits in the back of Lafayette Pitts' mind, layered in rich memories and sad endings.

“It's real,” he said. “I'll be moving on.” Pitts is one of 11 seniors — the third-smallest senior class among Power 5 schools — who will play his final home game Friday when Pitt (8-3, 6-1 ACC) meets Miami (7-4, 4-3) at Heinz Field. The university will honor the players and their parents during pregame ceremonies.

Their stories are littered with defeat, disappointment and disillusionment, and many of their former classmates — and coaches — have left. Despite it all, they endured until coach Pat Narduzzi arrived this year and has them dreaming of a 10-win season.

Pitts, a senior cornerback who came from Woodland Hills, said he doesn't want to think about the end of his Pitt career. “There will be emotions,” he said. “Especially when I get out there and see my mom. Emotions will be high.” Pitts said he devoted himself this season to becoming a better player and team leader.

“It was my last year,” he said. “I just wanted to be looked at as a leader to my teammates, try to perfect my craft and get better at the little things I had problems with over the years.”

Defensive end Ejuan Price's career has been plagued by injury, but he's having so much fun this season — he is fourth in the nation with 11 1⁄2 sacks — that he plans to petition the NCAA for a sixth season in hopes of returning in 2016.

“I haven't played this long since 2011, my freshman year,” said Price, who has started every game. His day also will be laced with emotion. “My mom and grandma will be out there acting the fool,” he said, smiling. Price, who missed last season, modestly insists Pitt has no more talent now than it did in 2014, when it finished 6-7. “We just have a different mindset,” said Price, who also graduated from Woodland Hills. “(Coaches) have made us more confident and tougher.”

If Pitt beats Miami, it will record a nine-victory regular season for only the third time since Dan Marino's senior year of 1982. “Win No. 9,” Price said. “It's crazy.”

The result probably will be that Pitt will play in a more prestigious bowl game, garner some national attention and perhaps become more attractive to high school recruits. “We had bowl games (in the past), but guys really weren't into it,” Pitts said.

Tight end J.P. Holtz, formerly of Shaler, has the distinction of never missing a game or a practice in four years. Prodded to talk about it, he said softly, “I'll brag about it. I'll tell my teammates.” But tight ends coach Tim Salem knows Holtz better than that. “He has expanded his chest and thrown his shoulders back,” Salem said. “J.P. understands this is a great opportunity to finish with a nine-win regular season, which is a big deal, and go out and fight for a 10th.

“That would be a very proud moment when he comes back five, 10, 15, 20 years from now. He can come back as that captain (and say), ‘My team won 10 games.' ”

NOTES: Price was named the Chuck Bednarik Award National Defensive Player of the Week, his fourth such honor after getting five sacks against Louisville. ... Junior wide receiver Chris Wuestner, who hasn't played this season, has been upgraded to probable (mid-body injury). Defensive tackle Mark Scarpinato is out (upper body).

2015 senior class

Eleven Pitt seniors will be honored Friday at senior day:

Player Position

Nicholas Grigsby Linebacker

J.P. Holtz Tight end

K.K. Mosley-Smith Def. tackle

David Murphy Long snapper

Lafayette Pitts Cornerback

Jameel Poteat Linebacker

Ejuan Price Defensive end

Darryl Render Def. tackle

Artie Rowell Center

Mark Scarpinato Def. tackle

Matt Steinbeck Linebacker

Jerry DiPaola is a staff writer for Trib Total Media. Reach him at jdipaola@tribweb.com or via Twitter @JDiPaola_Trib

Reactions: pbrad
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT