ADVERTISEMENT

Fed Ex just pledged $25 Million for the Memphis NIL fund

Can we just cut the crap? So this law allows VA schools to directly pay NIL? Uh....how about a law which states you must pay them a salary.....AS EMPLOYEES. How the heck do these colleges get away with this? Imagine if your employer called you into the office on Monday and said we are going to pay you the same amount of money, but its not a salary anymore and you are no longer an employee. We are going to pay you NIL instead.

This might be the best new business model. Dont have any employees. Just have a bunch of people you to pay to work there under NIL.

Ever hear of an adjunct professor?

I understand that but those employees provide a part-time service to a business. A QB works full time. Also, making athletes 1099 contractors is way better than non-employees who are only paid for not what they contribute to the team but for the use of the school to use their name, image, and likness on commercials and billboards.

Plenty are full time. I know contractors that have been with the same company for 10 years. The just prefer to be self employed, and a lot of companies like the simplicity of adding 1099 employees.

It doesn't matter how the money is paid by the University. NIL or a paycheck as a 1099 contractor, it's money paid to the athlete.

They have $4.95M somewhere to throw around like that for the time being.

Can care less about shareholders. If it works it works, if doesn't won't see it happening again.

Kudos to Memphis though, Pitt should hit up Acrisure or PNC see if they can pitch in.
As a public company they have a fiduciary duty to the shareholders moreso than a local university.

Probably not a coincidence that this news breaks just as the Cal/Arkansas/Tyson/NIL deals are announced. Remember how Cal refused to play Arkansas when he was HC at Memphis. FedEx is stepping up to keep Tiger High relevant.

Plenty are full time. I know contractors that have been with the same company for 10 years. The just prefer to be self employed, and a lot of companies like the simplicity of adding 1099 employees.

It doesn't matter how the money is paid by the University. NIL or a paycheck as a 1099 contractor, it's money paid to the athlete.

As an employee, a player would have more benefits and a contract which provides downside risk to both parties

As an employee, a player would have more benefits and a contract which provides downside risk to both parties

That's not the scenario you were discussing.

Paying people for services who aren't employees with benefits happens all the time. It's not new or original.

This isn't the first time FedEx has been linked to providing significant financial support to Memphis athletics.

In 2010 there were reports that FedEx was going to offer a BCS league up to $10 million per year for 5 years to a BCS conference if they added Memphis to their league. Shortly after the story broke FedEx issued a denial of the story. That said the then CEO of Fedex's son had just transferred to Memphis so have to wonder if there was truth to the initial reports and FedEx denied it when there was shareholder backlash.

If the initial reports were true, I would have to suspect they thought the Big East would be the conference that might take them up on the offer; as it was by far the least stable of the BCS conferences and already had Cincinnati and Louisville in the league that were their most nature regional rivals back when they were all in Conference USA.

FedEx to offer a BCS conference $10 million/year to add Memphis?

FedEx denies offering financial incentives for adding Memphis to a BCS conference

In 2016 when the Big 12 was looking at expanding; FedEx, still at that point under the same CEO as when the 2010 reports came out, was pitching FedEx becoming a "significant sponsor" of the Big 12, should the league add Memphis. Because of that IMO there was probably some fire behind the smoke of the 2010 reports that FedEx was prepared to offer money for Memphis to be added to a BCS league.

FedEx may try to help buy Memphis' way into the Big 12

This isn't the first time FedEx has been linked to providing significant financial support to Memphis athletics.

In 2010 there were reports that FedEx was going to offer a BCS league up to $10 million per year for 5 years to a BCS conference if they added Memphis to their league. Shortly after the story broke FedEx issued a denial of the story. That said the then CEO of Fedex's son had just transferred to Memphis so have to wonder if there was truth to the initial reports and FedEx denied it when there was shareholder backlash.

If the initial reports were true, I would have to suspect they thought the Big East would be the conference that might take them up on the offer; as it was by far the least stable of the BCS conferences and already had Cincinnati and Louisville in the league that were their most nature regional rivals back when they were all in Conference USA.

FedEx to offer a BCS conference $10 million/year to add Memphis?

FedEx denies offering financial incentives for adding Memphis to a BCS conference

In 2016 when the Big 12 was looking at expanding; FedEx, still at that point under the same CEO as when the 2010 reports came out, was pitching FedEx becoming a "significant sponsor" of the Big 12, should the league add Memphis. Because of that IMO there was probably some fire behind the smoke of the 2010 reports that FedEx was prepared to offer money for Memphis to be added to a BCS league.

FedEx may try to help buy Memphis' way into the Big 12

This has to be Fred Smith's money and just calling it FedEx.

No shareholders to report to. Same with Highmark.

They have a Board of Directors, who as a non-profit, reports to the public. They could literally lose non-profit status if they enter into above market deals for football player salaries. At least with FedEx, they can do whatever they want as long shareholders are cool with it

Reactions: Ray-Ray
That's not the scenario you were discussing.

Paying people for services who aren't employees with benefits happens all the time. It's not new or original.
What is truly creative is that Virginia universities will be paying athletes an above market rate for services not really being provided (marketing and use of name, image, likeness), when the actual service is playing sports.
Do this in other fields and it is fraud, tax evasion or money laundering. It is all a charade to keep professional sports leagues under the guise of non-profit and to avoid Title IX.
My coworker's daughter is a scholarship athlete in VA. I told him to watch this carefully as this may crack the door to a Title IX settlement at these schools.

What is truly creative is that Virginia universities will be paying athletes an above market rate for services not really being provided (marketing and use of name, image, likeness), when the actual service is playing sports.
Do this in other fields and it is fraud, tax evasion or money laundering. It is all a charade to keep professional sports leagues under the guise of non-profit and to avoid Title IX.
My coworker's daughter is a scholarship athlete in VA. I told him to watch this carefully as this may crack the door to a Title IX settlement at these schools.

Someone has to clue me in on how the booster collectives, which are designed to lose money, are legal. I mean these collectives lose millions every year and that's the point. How does the IRS just look at them and say "well, you guys just must be really bad at marketing."

I dont see a huge difference in what these collectives do and if you or I formed some sham company simply to filter personal expenses through. The IRS would have a field day with that because the company is fake. Well, collectives are fake in a sense.

They have a Board of Directors, who as a non-profit, reports to the public. They could literally lose non-profit status if they enter into above market deals for football player salaries. At least with FedEx, they can do whatever they want as long shareholders are cool with it
They literally would not lose your status. They creatively find ways to justify every other goofy thing they blow money on so this wouldn't be any different. Would just be a bad look when they keep cutting staff and pay.

Reactions: ThePanthers
Someone has to clue me in on how the booster collectives, which are designed to lose money, are legal. I mean these collectives lose millions every year and that's the point. How does the IRS just look at them and say "well, you guys just must be really bad at marketing."

I dont see a huge difference in what these collectives do and if you or I formed some sham company simply to filter personal expenses through. The IRS would have a field day with that because the company is fake. Well, collectives are fake in a sense.
Non-profits need to report their activities and meet the gov't regs. I don't know the collective status. The collective payments are taxable to the players.
So is Fedex the same as Fred Smith??

Non-profits need to report their activities and meet the gov't regs. I don't know the collective status. The collective payments are taxable to the players.
So is Fedex the same as Fred Smith??
Some are, some aren't.

Memphis collective partners with Champions for Literacy so contributions made to it through that charity are tax deductible.

Happy Valley United is a registered charity and gifts are tax delectable.

That is something I think has hurt Alliance 412. They do not have any tax deductible mechanism, and it is a problem, IMO.

They literally would not lose your status. They creatively find ways to justify every other goofy thing they blow money on so this wouldn't be any different. Would just be a bad look when they keep cutting staff and pay.
UPMC also had an overall system operating margin of -0.7% in 2023, not including tax and interest payments which doubled the loss. In fact, health services was nearly -2%. For comparison to the other side of the state, Penn Med's operating margin was +2.4%. UPMC's operating margins have always been lower than what they'd otherwise have for their bond rating (which would be the absolute bottom of investment grade); they survive on scale, and revenue offset from the insurance arm and a large investment income pool. The narrative that because they had $28 billion in revenue, they have unlimited money to toss around, is false. They have 40+ hospitals to run and are in the middle of a major facilities building program. Some of those hospitals are not doing well. Big revenue numbers are meaningless without context.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77 and NTOP
Some are, some aren't.

Memphis collective partners with Champions for Literacy so contributions made to it through that charity are tax deductible.

Happy Valley United is a registered charity and gifts are tax delectable.

That is something I think has hurt Alliance 412. They do not have any tax deductible mechanism, and it is a problem, IMO.

A contribution to the PSU pay for play salary fund is tax deductible? What???? I have a hard time believing that's true. Of course, 99% of us can't write off charitable contributions anymore thanks to the 2017 tax bill

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT