ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis

I didn't think publicly traded entities would get involved in this, because these deals are obviously significantly above market rate for which you would pay for advertising. Weird to think a BOD approved of this.

Reactions: ChicogoPitt
If we reach the point where a hospital system starts paying money on the transfer portal I might have to leave society and live in the woods. We are headed there though.

"So here is the consent form for the surgery. This box just lets us know if you would like to be resuscitated in the event of a mishap. And then this one is if you'd like to donate $100 to Alliance 412."

Any Pitt ties to Big Pharma? Maybe Caleb Holmes in a wig can be the next Jardiance dancer.

Reactions: Hail2Duzz
Need upmc, ppg, pnc to step up in a big way

These companies have shareholders. I'm pretty sure many of them would object to spending money like that on buying kids to play sports. And many of these companies have a Board that would not allow this type of expenditure. This has gotten way out of hand.

These companies have shareholders. I'm pretty sure many of them would object to spending money like that on buying kids to play sports. And many of these companies have a Board that would not allow this type of expenditure. This has gotten way out of hand.
Fedex didn't

Reactions: Pittnerski
I didn't think publicly traded entities would get involved in this, because these deals are obviously significantly above market rate for which you would pay for advertising. Weird to think a BOD approved of this.

Its such a terrible business deal despite NTOP's belief that this $5 million/year will get everyone in Memphis to switch from UPS to FedEx (as if FedEx didnt have a dominant market share in its home city) that I have to believe there is more to this not being reported like this is Fred Smith's money that is being marketed as FedEx giving it. Its not Fred Smith's company but he is the largest shareholder at 8%. So lets say Fred Smith wanted to buy $5 million/year of Memphis players, wouldn't there be a way to report that to the media as FedEx? Or like Smith gifts FedEx $25 million earmarked for Memphis player salaries.

Why would they care one bit about college athletics ? They have more important things to do with their money .
UPMC is the mostly likely group that works on injuries to Pitt athletes. A commercial from a Pitt athlete would be interesting.

UPMC is the mostly likely group that works on injuries to Pitt athletes. A commercial from a Pitt athlete would be interesting.

UPMC isnt going to enter into an above market deal to help pay for Pitt athletes. Even if they treated a high profile athlete, lets use James Conner as an example, what is the market value of Conner doing a commercial for UPMC during his final year? 25K? 50K? 50K seems like way too much. Asking public companies or public non-profits to enter into far above market value deals is a non-starter.

They can sell their stock , then

If I had stock in FedEx I would sell it. Or at least as a shareholder vote when I could to throw out the putz that OKs this total waste of corporate assets. I know you enjoy being the contrarian, but surely you can't be OK with this. Can you?

No most likely, they are the official, contracted sports medicine provider for the athletic department. But also for the Steelers and Penguins.
sports-logos.jpg

And also like 75 other teams and schools.

Fed Ex stock up 47% in last 5 years. The putz is a self made billionaire.

I believe he has more credibility in the financial and business sector than you.

Stay in your lane bro.

5 million out of 5 billion in profit.
Then feel free to buy all the FedEx stock you can. It is still is a bad investment decision no matter how you slice it. BTW, the current CEO has worked less than two years in his position. So much for the self-made billionaire pitch.

Not that it matters, but the total outlay is 25 million, not five And when did it become OK for corporations to throw away money on something as dubious as NIL?

Two more things. I always stay in my lane and most certainly haven't hidden behind a new handle. Care to share who you are?
Oh, so we are clear, I am not your bro.

Then feel free to buy all the FedEx stock you can. It is still is a bad investment decision no matter how you slice it. BTW, the current CEO has worked less than two years in his position. So much for the self-made billionaire pitch.

Not that it matters, but the total outlay is 25 million, not five And when did it become OK for corporations to throw away money on something as dubious as NIL?

Two more things. I always stay in my lane and most certainly haven't hidden behind a new handle. Care to share who you are?
Oh, so we are clear, I am not your bro.
It's only $5 mil a year vs over $4 billion a year in profit. Basically pocket change. It's an investment in community. It potentially helps Memphis athletics financially (conference affiliation) which in turn helps the local economy. It's nothing excessive and easily justifiable, imo.

Reactions: Pitt Stock Soar
Fed Ex stock up 47% in last 5 years. The putz is a self made billionaire.

I believe he has more credibility in the financial and business sector than you.

Stay in your lane bro.

5 million out of 5 billion in profit.

You have an unnatural love of FedEx. Public companies should not be making bad business deals on purpose. Period. Paying the salaries of extremely obscure college athletes is bad business no matter if its $5 or $5 million. Its bad business. So bad that I have a hunch this is actually Fred Smith's personal money that they are saying is "FedEx" for branding reasons.

You have an unnatural love of FedEx. Public companies should not be making bad business deals on purpose. Period. Paying the salaries of extremely obscure college athletes is bad business no matter if its $5 or $5 million. Its bad business. So bad that I have a hunch this is actually Fred Smith's personal money that they are saying is "FedEx" for branding reasons.

It's never bad business for a healthy $65 billion company to throw a few bread crumbs to the local community.

It's never bad business for a healthy $65 billion company to throw a few bread crumbs to the local community.

IT IS NOT CHARITY!!!!!

They are paying the salaries of obscure athletes. If this was a donation to the food bank, fine. Public companies should not be paying salaries of college athletes. Can you imagine if FedEx said it was going to pay Ja Morant's salary so the Grizzlies can stay under the cap and field a more competitive team. There would be an uproar.

IT IS NOT CHARITY!!!!!

They are paying the salaries of obscure athletes. If this was a donation to the food bank, fine. Public companies should not be paying salaries of college athletes. Can you imagine if FedEx said it was going to pay Ja Morant's salary so the Grizzlies can stay under the cap and field a more competitive team. There would be an uproar.

It helps the athletic department and the school. That's today's current climate. Kudos to FedEx for stepping up.

I definitely supported Heinz !
I buy Heinz in NZ. Whoever owns Heinz owns the NZ manufacturer Watties. I guess Watties makes Heinz stuff here on licence.
I sometimes buy stuff due to sponsorship. But I am probably more likely to avoid products because of it.
I emailed AirNZ about their codeshare with United when those Addison commercials came out.
I never heard back, but I get additional security screening now anytime I fly, even domestic.
They did find a pre-cancerous polyp at LAX, so it turned out ok.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT