ADVERTISEMENT

Fire James Phillips!!!

OH Pete

Head Coach
Gold Member
Jun 25, 2001
I put some of my thoughts about this in one of the expansion threads, but think it needs its own.

I advocate the removal of James Phillips as the ACC Commissioner. I'm sure he is a great guy and in a different era, may have been a great commish. But we are at an inflection point. The future of sports programming is rapidly changing. Phillips has clearly demonstrated that he doesn't understand this and doesn't have the resume that suggests that he is capable of leading the ACC into the new era of sports programming. 20 years as the AD of extremely conservative midwest institutions isn't the resume we need to secure our future seat at the table in the hierarchy of college sports. Phillips does NOT have the background required to navigate these waters.

We need a visionary. Someone who understands what is going on and can position us for success in this new world.

I can understand not jumping into the conference carousel game. There may not have been much of anything to gain. But letting Oregon and a few other attractive schools slip away then brining up SMU as the solution to our perceived problem? How does SMU make more sense than Oregon, Arizona State and UW? The answer is, they don't. This is dereliction of duty and clearly lacking foresight/vision on the ACC leaders' parts.

Fire Phillips and hire some wunderkind from Apple, Amazon or Netflix. Tell him/her that their job is to position the ACC to work towards ways of closing the revenue gap between the B1G and SEC and to ensure the ACC remains relevant in the future. Tell him/her to be creative - outside the box is what we want. This is a business and it needs to be operated like one. We need a visionary. We need a promoter. We don't need a 20 year administrator.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News