ADVERTISEMENT

Frank Cignetti expected to become Rams OC

The coaching industry is a good one to be in. Poor performances often don't impact future hiring prospects. I'm not necessarily speaking of Cignetti, but of the overall coaching carousel where only public character misdeeds seem to reroute one's career path.

true, though if you become a coach or assistant, you're basically deciding you will never live in a stable spot for the entire course of your career. Not for everyone, that's for sure.

best offense we had under Wanny by far was Cignetti's 2009 offense. Huge upgrade over Cavanaugh.

Thebadby2, no question he was an enormous upgrade. Unfortunately it began to appear that Cavanaugh's awfulness made Cig look better than he was. I wish him the best, but do feel that he may be underqualified as a pro OC.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

I liked Cignetti and thought he did a good job here. However, the Rams need a QB more than anything else. Without a QB, they cannot compete in that division.

Originally posted by thebadby2:
best offense we had under Wanny by far was Cignetti's 2009 offense. Huge upgrade over Cavanaugh.
I agree... Frank is a good OC.

I'm not sure why people feel it necessary to take shots at Cignetti? He produced a couple of pretty high powered offenses during his short Pitt tenure. That an NFL franchise hired him...pretty much says what you need to know--as he is in a very small club of guys paid big bucks to be a coordinator. Just curious, other than personal animous, why is Frank underqualified? Hail to Pitt!

Re: Reply

Yeah I don't get this one. He also had great offenses at Fresno and Cal. Cignetti was a pretty good OC thru the college ranks. Guess we'll see what he does in the pros but seems like a decent hire.

Re: Reply

This is a loser Pitt thing. We always have to cannibalize our own. I have no idea why but it's just what we do.

Like I said, I wish him well, but after the glory year when he had Baldwin, Dickerson, Bostick, Dion Lewis, and so many more it, became clear that he just doesn't have much creativity as an offensive coordinator. Remember everyone always wondered if Wanny put huge handcuffs on him? Yeah, his offense looked like a Wanny offense at times. That's not good.

Originally posted by PittBaller:
Thebadby2, no question he was an enormous upgrade. Unfortunately it began to appear that Cavanaugh's awfulness made Cig look better than he was. I wish him the best,
I get this feeling as well, though it is hard to judge him after only having 2 seasons.

BTW, don't really know about Fresno, but it was Tedford's offensive show at Cal, though I am trying to remember exactly when Cal went completely downhill.

He had a QB that at the time was not capable of reading a defense. It went so far that you may recall he would put Hynoski in motion on most plays so the defense was forced to show their coverage and the QB could not miss the D. Cignettin knows what he is doing...whether he can do much with the Rams and the players he has to work with...only time will tell [but it sure will not be easy with what he has to work with]. Hail to Pitt!

Yeah this is bizarre. I don't think Cig is a great OC but I think he did a pretty good job here. No reason to bash him

He was a good hire here and wanny should have hire someone similiar to start.
Not another nfl guy out of college for 20 yrs.
oh well

Pretty sure that both Rhoads and Cavanaugh were "forced" on Wannstedt...as the administration really was puffing their chests over hiring the "three finalists" for the head job to the staff. I don't think Cavanaugh or Rhoads are bad coaches...I just don't think they were up to the task with what they had to work with when they took the reigns in 2005. All of them have done pretty well financially in football post Pitt. Hail to Pitt!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT