ADVERTISEMENT

Good recruiting vibe

JoeScaz

Senior
Dec 9, 2004
As many of you know from chatting before.. my son was a AAAA lineman (just graduating).. he talked to his buddy last night... a top 5 PA recruit for 2017 regarding Narduzzi and staff..... My son asked him about Sanders (the two are pretty close, Sanders and this kid)... and the kid said "Sanders is coming around to Pitt... but he isn't sure .....".. BUT.. just about all of the other top kids for 16 & 17 really love Narduzzi, his style.. and are very high on the Panthers, almost all of them.

Just have to win some games and not finish .500 again...beat the teams they should beat and no WTF losses. If Pitt can figure out a way to win 9 games it would be huge for the program moving forward.

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
As many of you know from chatting before.. my son was a AAAA lineman (just graduating).. he talked to his buddy last night... a top 5 PA recruit for 2017 regarding Narduzzi and staff..... My son asked him about Sanders (the two are pretty close, Sanders and this kid)... and the kid said "Sanders is coming around to Pitt... but he isn't sure .....".. BUT.. just about all of the other top kids for 16 & 17 really love Narduzzi, his style.. and are very high on the Panthers, almost all of them.

Scaz, I'm hearing the same, HCPN is really making his rounds.

Win baby..win !

That's really it. They just need to meet expectations. You can't lose to YSU and beat Notre Dame! I mean it sounds crazy...but that is the only type of thing Pitt does consistantly.

Probably because I think it's good news but would like to see more excitement outside of the Pittsburgh area???

Why didn't you post "that's great news. I'm going to celebrate by buying 100 season tickets"
whatever!

How one know about "Excitement outside of Pittsburgh"? What does that even mean?
There's not going to be much media coverage of Pitt outside of Pittsburgh. And unless you live in an area with a cluster of Pitt fans, it's going to be hard to notice their opinions also.

How one know about "Excitement outside of Pittsburgh"? What does that even mean?
There's not going to be much media coverage of Pitt outside of Pittsburgh. And unless you live in an area with a cluster of Pitt fans, it's going to be hard to notice their opinions also.

With Twitter, Top 5 lists, recruiting articles, and Visits there is not a whole lot hidden any more. I think we will see a lot of movement in June like last year. I am just saying I was hoping for more by now

Bottom line is all the good publicity needs to translate into "W"s. That is what we
need more than anything.

I've talked to many folks outside of Pittsburgh who love the hire and think Pitt made its best coaching hire in a long, long time. This is from people in Eastern PA, Southern Florida, California, Ohio, Maryland......

Simple...Pitt fans are jaded. We've seen Pitt lose to YSU and then beat a VT or Notre Dame. We've seen them play for a conference title and blow a huge lead only to lose. I love Narduzzi so far...but the bottom line is he needs to put it on the field.

Probably because I think it's good news but would like to see more excitement outside of the Pittsburgh area???

Why didn't you post "that's great news. I'm going to celebrate by buying 100 season tickets"

That's really it. They just need to meet expectations. You can't lose to YSU and beat Notre Dame! I mean it sounds crazy...but that is the only type of thing Pitt does consistantly.
This has killed Pitt's credibility since the bcs started.

This is good news and it appears that he and this staff know what they're doing with this part of it. Of course it needs coupled with no more youngstowns, toledos, akrons etc and embarrassing keytone kop collapses. With that said, I think we still have to patient recruiting wise as he has never coached yet unknown. And Pitt doesn't actually recruit itself being 26-26 in last 52 and firing 2 coaches with 2 others leaving for other P5 jobs and a recently fired AD.

Just have to win some games and not finish .500 again...beat the teams they should beat and no WTF losses. If Pitt can figure out a way to win 9 games it would be huge for the program moving forward.

+1........

• 9 wins is the magic number. 9 legitimizes the hype and accelerates the momentum. It probably means Pitt won against YSU and Akron and against the remaining power 5, went 3-2 on the road and 4-1 at home. Tall order, but not out of the question.
  • 8 regular season wins sustains momentum as bowl opponent is respectable and provides oppty for 9th win. Means winning 1st 2 games (not a given) and going 3-2 at home and 3-2 away, or 4-1 at home and 2-3 away.
  • 7 regular season wins takes the air out of things, as it will feel like the previous years' of 6 wins unless they play against a respectable power 5 team in a bowl game and win impressively for the 8th win.
  • 6 would compromise a year's build up. If a bowl victory is the 7th win,it won't make much of a difference as the bowl opponent for a regular season 6 win team would be subpar.
Should Pitt lose one if its first 2 games the loss impact can be negated, but only with very strong push at the middle or end of the season where it goes undefeated, say 6-0 or 5-1 during a stretch, finishes with 8 wins. and wins the bowl game. We're talking Pitt here.

Last edited:
I think 9 wins is reasonable given the returning talent on the offense, and I do believe that the improvements on the staff will translate to an improvement on the defensive side of the ball. Spent my lunch listening to HCPN on 93.7 from a few days ago, and reading a couple of articles. I admire the intensity to which he is approaching the recruiting trail. While it is in stark contrast to Chryst and could be perceived as better only for this reason, I think it is more indicative of his style as a coach. I would hope (as others have stated) is impressed upon the team to translate this on the field to produce wins - beat who you are supposed to beat (YSU, Akron) and stay in the game to give yourself a shot against perceived "bigger fish" (ND, FSU, Clemson).

Wannstedt first year 5-6
Graham first year 6-6
Chryst first year 6-6

No wonder recruiting never gained any traction for a new coach at Pitt

Narduzzi has an opportunity to make some noise....this year.....win 8...... maybe....maybe 9.......and a whole different level of player comes to Pitt

I'm not saying 9 wins is impossible. However, there will be some growing pains with a new staff. Some new starters. I think anyone expecting 9 wins has a good chance of being disappointed.

I read the article on Sanders. He's as solid as a bowl of jello. I'm not saying that to put down PSU and prop up Pitt. Anytime a kid takes visits after committing...he's just not sure. He may very well stick to his committment...but, taking visits means it is not firm.

He is not 100% sold on Ped St. He has been to Pitt many times and he is making an official to Pitt. He could use the 5 officials to go to places he has never been to like UCLA, Fla, SC but he is choosing to visit in his backyard.

The cult will make him feel very uncomfortable!

Lets see what happens

He is so committed to PSU he's taking official visits to other schools, including Pitt where he has already visited a bunch of times. Seems to me that you're whistling past the graveyard.

A guy who is 100% committed doesn't go on official visits to other schools...especially one in his hometown. If he just wants to travel on a schools dime, he has a lot of opportunities across the country. Why would he take an official to a school 15 minutes from his home unless he was interested?

Watch what he does, not what he says.

He has his doubts and wants to do some exploring. That is obvious. He's tired of posters, Twitter trolls, coaches tugging him in different directions. In order to lessen the pressure, he maintains his undying love for PSU so Franklin and cult will leave him alone and continue checking out other schools under the narrative "I'm just trying to do some comparison"

wow - I could not agree more. If we have some improvement and some luck, win one or two "ought to lose" games, and Coach N and staff can keep up this flow of energy for recruiting - I do believe we can return to recruiting classes such as we had a few years with Wanny. I'm very hopeful . . . .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT