ADVERTISEMENT

Haskins

Dan1911

Sophomore
Jan 17, 2016
Widow claims his death was a conspiracy including several restaurants and a driving range. Some kind of elaborate theft scheme. I'm guessing money is the motive of the lawsuit. Should get interesting.

she's also suing the dump truck driver and the rental car agency. pretty much a money grab.

not gonna lie, as a steeler fan, i completely forgot he ever even was on this roster..

They said he was possibly drugged without knowledge. That would explain his weird behavior though, so makes a bit of sense

The dump truck was out of regulation, but I would think the video of the actual incident will be completely all the evidence needed there, if Haskins jumped out at the guy and that guy never slowed down, he was absolutely negligent. If the guy flat out didnt slow down at all, and clipped Haskins (if he wasnt in the middle of the street), then that is even worse. I think anything short of the dump truck driver not slowing down and displaying some form of caution and Haskins just running in front of him and getting stuck would be grounds for him being sued.

I have had similar things happen to me with pedestrians on the side of the road looking nuts and everyone slows down at least half speed... hell, I do that if I see an animal.

They said he was possibly drugged without knowledge. That would explain his weird behavior though, so makes a bit of sense

The dump truck was out of regulation, but I would think the video of the actual incident will be completely all the evidence needed there, if Haskins jumped out at the guy and that guy never slowed down, he was absolutely negligent. If the guy flat out didnt slow down at all, and clipped Haskins (if he wasnt in the middle of the street), then that is even worse. I think anything short of the dump truck driver not slowing down and displaying some form of caution and Haskins just running in front of him and getting stuck would be grounds for him being sued.

I have had similar things happen to me with pedestrians on the side of the road looking nuts and everyone slows down at least half speed... hell, I do that if I see an animal.
if anything, the dump truck driver should sue the haskins estate.. this guy is an embarrassment, or was.. now his wife is embarrassing herself by suing everyone from the rental car agency to the Fla dept of transportation..

as a steeler fan, i forgot he was even on this roster. lets all remember him as a former redskin and cut all ties with him to the steelers. dude never played anyway..

Reactions: columbus mike
It sounds crazy and conspiratorial but it does happen. I've seen videos of girls on Barstool podcasts straight up bragging about helping a barely-conscious man put in his ATM information and make a max withdrawal so she'd either get a nice gift from him with the money or spending cash.

Obviously most women aren't like that but some are, and those that are will target wealthy men like Haskins.

uh, what???
Why in the hell would anyone suspect negligence or outright disregard from a guy driving a dump truck starting out his work day at 6:30 in the morning? "uh, ya I seem him, I see him and I just don't care ! Hahahahahaha!, got him !"

uh, what???
Why in the hell would anyone suspect negligence or outright disregard from a guy driving a dump truck starting out his work day at 6:30 in the morning? "uh, ya I seem him, I see him and I just don't care ! Hahahahahaha!, got him !"
it's a miracle that this clown crossing a highway didnt call a multiple car crash disaster.. as harsh as it sounds, the dump truck driver was probably a hero by only taking out haskins and not making it worse.

cant imagine the mental anguish that guy has to go thru every day, again, probably should counter sue the haskins estate..

it's a miracle that this clown crossing a highway didnt call a multiple car crash disaster.. as harsh as it sounds, the dump truck driver was probably a hero by only taking out haskins and not making it worse.

cant imagine the mental anguish that guy has to go thru every day, again, probably should counter sue the haskins estate..
To be honest, anyone driving a truck that is out of reg is going to be on the losing end of something like this. Saw it with a friend who lost both of his legs in an accident with an out of reg truck and it was likely the friend was driving too fast.

uh, what???

Because it is???

It is your job to be in control of your vehicle and prepared to stop. If your brakes dont work, you have poor tires, you are using your phone, or whatever, and fly past cars going slowly with their flashers on (which there were) and strike and kill a person, I would think that is negligent. As I said, the proof will be in the footage, which I have not seen. If Haskins just bolted out from nowhere and got struck, its all on him, if not and the dump truck should have slowed down, then it is negligent.

Personally I'm kind of indifferent to Haskins. Feel bad he died, but otherwise don't hate or like him. You seem really anti-Haskins. All I see is another bust QB, who happened to die too soon.

Reactions: pitt90seven
Because it is???

It is your job to be in control of your vehicle and prepared to stop. If your brakes dont work, you have poor tires, you are using your phone, or whatever, and fly past cars going slowly with their flashers on (which there were) and strike and kill a person, I would think that is negligent. As I said, the proof will be in the footage, which I have not seen. If Haskins just bolted out from nowhere and got struck, its all on him, if not and the dump truck should have slowed down, then it is negligent.
If Haskins just bolted out from nowhere and got struck, its all on him, if not and the dump truck should have slowed down, then it is negligent.... you do realize this was on I95 do you not?....your "slowing down" line of fault here is laughable...No one would not "slow down" when given ample time to do so. No one.

Personally I'm kind of indifferent to Haskins. Feel bad he died, but otherwise don't hate or like him. You seem really anti-Haskins. All I see is another bust QB, who happened to die too soon.
he wasnt relevant enough to me to hate.. honestly, i forgot he was even ever on the steelers. this lawsuit is a bad look by the wife and yes, her suing everyone and anyone is ridiculous..

here is a lesson, dont get drunk and do drugs and pick up a piece of strange then drive on a busy highway, get out and play frogger..

he wasnt relevant enough to me to hate.. honestly, i forgot he was even ever on the steelers. this lawsuit is a bad look by the wife and yes, her suing everyone and anyone is ridiculous..

here is a lesson, dont get drunk and do drugs and pick up a piece of strange then drive on a busy highway, get out and play frogger..

you seem really angry with this cat. i don't know. i just read that all of the other cars saw him and slowed down. again, i have no idea what happened but worth investigating if there was wrong doing.

honestly when i first heard this, i didn't think he'd be on substances b/c who the hell is still drunk/high at 6:30 in the morning. but then i was also confused as to why in the hell would you walk to a gas station across a highway. the dude had money - just call an uber. strange behavior. could it be a money grab attempt? sure thing. but you come off as you have all the facts at your fingertips.

i go back to the person who got a big settlement from mcdonald's for hot coffee. everyone was appalled but almost no one knew the facts of the case. but when you find out what truly happened, you find out the person should've gotten way more than was even awarded.

Reactions: Ski11585
If Haskins just bolted out from nowhere and got struck, its all on him, if not and the dump truck should have slowed down, then it is negligent.... you do realize this was on I95 do you not?....you "slowing down" line of fault here is laughable...
No it isnt

You just need to read when I wrote

I already explained that. So, laughable would be you ignoring what I wrote and jumping to an incorrect conclusion.

Again... PEOPLE WERE DRIVING SLOWLY WITH THEIR FLASHERS ON! That was in the report, regardless what you feel, you cant just drive recklessly anywhere you want.

you seem really angry with this cat. i don't know. i just read that all of the other cars saw him and slowed down. again, i have no idea what happened but worth investigating if there was wrong doing.

honestly when i first heard this, i didn't think he'd be on substances b/c who the hell is still drunk/high at 6:30 in the morning. but then i was also confused as to why in the hell would you walk to a gas station across a highway. the dude had money - just call an uber. strange behavior. could it be a money grab attempt? sure thing. but you come off as you have all the facts at your fingertips.

i go back to the person who got a big settlement from mcdonald's for hot coffee. everyone was appalled but almost no one knew the facts of the case. but when you find out what truly happened, you find out the person should've gotten way more than was even awarded.
mcdonalds coffee is WAY WAY too hot, been complaining about this for years if not decades. that person was scarred and had 3rd degree burns and needed medical attention...

this dude played frogger on drugs. i dont compare the two.. but since she's not suing me, everyone else but luckily im not named on the lawsuit, i shall not get too worked up over it. i do feel for the truck driver though, he had to clean off the grill of his truck and i doubt that was fun..

as cruel as it sounds, the steelers roster is bette.. uh never mind..

mcdonalds coffee is WAY WAY too hot, been complaining about this for years if not decades. that person was scarred and had 3rd degree burns and needed medical attention...

this dude played frogger on drugs. i dont compare the two.. but since she's not suing me, everyone else but luckily im not named on the lawsuit, i shall not get too worked up over it. i do feel for the truck driver though, he had to clean off the grill of his truck and i doubt that was fun..

as cruel as it sounds, the steelers roster is bette.. uh never mind..

i'm guessing that's the point of her lawsuits - no one in their right mind is playing frogger on a highway.

You can safely apply "The Zelda Rule" here.
Any position Zelda takes, automatically take the opposite, and you can be 99% certain you are on the right side of any issue.
dude, i'd argue but sadly, you arent wrong...

i was 0-2 this week on my "takes" on pitchers.. said mitch keller is a 4 or 5 at best and he went out and pitched a gem and then in another thread said Contreras is fantastic and he threw batting practice to the astros a few nights ago..

but with that said, it doesnt make sense here. this girl is suing anyone and everyone cause her husband is an ass-clown. if he had an ounce of sense, he wouldnt be a hood ornament on a dump truck right now..

sometimes you have to be accountable for poor choices. i know i know, not a popular mindset in today's times.

Without more facts, it kind of looks like a specious lawsuit.

I think the argument about the 95 and trying to run across it means a lot. Just because other cars avoided him does not mean a dump truck can and regardless of mental state Haskins’ actions (which the driver had nothing to do with) were the primary driver in this case.

If it is a comparative negligence state (I have no idea if it is), I would think the driver gets away here without much damage (or better put, his insurance will).

But let’s see what the facts say as things progress.

I will say, Gil Brandt was essentially cancelled over his comments here and while they were not the most kind, given what we know and that he was stating his opinion (of which the reality appeared to align strong with in terms of a wild action, drugs, alcohol, etc.), everything he dealt with looks like an extreme overreaction presently.

Without more facts, it kind of looks like a specious lawsuit.

I think the argument about the 95 and trying to run across it means a lot. Just because other cars avoided him does not mean a dump truck can and regardless of mental state Haskins’ actions (which the driver had nothing to do with) were the primary driver in this case.

If it is a comparative negligence state (I have no idea if it is), I would think the driver gets away here without much damage (or better put, his insurance will).

But let’s see what the facts say as things progress.

I will say, Gil Brandt was essentially cancelled over his comments here and while they were not the most kind, given what we know and that he was stating his opinion (of which the reality appeared to align strong with in terms of a wild action, drugs, alcohol, etc.), everything he dealt with looks like an extreme overreaction presently.

gil brandt totally deserved it. it's not like haskins was running around town committing crimes or anything. to get to the NFL, you had to have done something right in life (i know that bad people get there but they still have to keep their body in shape, stay out of bad trouble, etc). never mind that it's just a horrible thing to say in public about a man who just died by a public figure. dude is in the HOF for wlat's sakes.

i used to listen to him on NFL radio a good bit. he was on at night. i can tell you he was well past his expiration date, anway. and i'm pretty forgiving of sports radio announcers.

You must live a sheltered life.

well, odd for a guy who specifically was there to workout. and it was a weekday.

if he was still intoxicated on whatever, why was he driving at 6:30am? usually those people are passed out on a couch.

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
if he was still intoxicated on whatever, why was he driving at 6:30am?
I have no insight on this particular event. But lots of people never stop partying once they start , not your amateur passing out partiers but the big timers....on the other end are thousands of people that get high as soon as they have to go out in the morning, sad but true....when we are young and feel invincible we do lots of risky things, so to be young and a professional athlete, college star, lots of people are "living large", it doesn't mean any of this is relevant here but its happening in every city on most mornings, IMO.

I have no insight on this particular event. But lots of people never stop partying once they start , not your amateur passing out partiers but the big timers....on the other end are thousands of people that get high as soon as they have to go out in the morning, sad but true....when we are young and feel invincible we do lots of risky things, so to be young and a professional athlete, college star, lots of people are "living large", it doesn't mean any of this is relevant here but its happening in every city on most mornings, IMO.

Yeah, he was 24 years old and still had alcohol in his system at 6:30am? You could find that on every college campus in America on any given night.

There's no need to demonize this guy. Even if he was voluntarily inebriated, the worst you can say is that he made a reckless decision while intoxicated. That's something you could say about millions of young people. They don't deserve to die or be looked down on.

Yeah, he was 24 years old and still had alcohol in his system at 6:30am? You could find that on every college campus in America on any given night.

There's no need to demonize this guy. Even if he was voluntarily inebriated, the worst you can say is that he made a reckless decision while intoxicated. That's something you could say about millions of young people. They don't deserve to die or be looked down on.
I think your statements are extremely fair, but at the same time, I do not think anyone is trying to demonize Haskins. Demonize is completely exaggeration of the worst that was said about the guy. I think people ridicule him because the facts as known are quite bad about the situation and lead one to believe this was all his fault. That his demise was very much his own doing.

He was drunk enough at 6:30am to be about 10 drinks in per reports (which is not terribly common anywhere, including college campuses though it occasionally happens), he had Special K in his system with other drugs, he was with a woman that was not his wife, he was running or trying to get across the 95 in a busy urban setting which is not advisable under any circumstance and he had a car with no gas (meaning, he was likely drunk driving) whereas a guy with his money should probably always be able to call an Uber (this to me is the part of the story that may be where this lawsuit has credence because why would he be in this situation). He also allegedly was supposed to be somewhere working out in a few hours, which is not terribly consistent with having those types of issues at 6:30am.

It is a lot of bad all together and he has to have some accountability for that. I doubt the dump truck driver left his home that morning and wanted to hit a guy. It just seems very unlikely.

He was a really young guy that made mistakes prior and seemingly a ton that night. He was well liked by most everyone it appears. He was a hell of a college quarterback. He was a father, a husband and a son. He was trying to get better in life. All of those things appear to be true. The good and the bad.

This all said, you have to avoid the detrimental mistakes in life. He ostensibly (and I will hang on this word until we get more facts) did not and he paid the ultimate price unfortunately. People should be allowed to criticize him if they want. Opinions are still allowed last time I checked, even bad ones.

Last edited:
i dont exactly measure my alcohol content but i can say with absolute confidence that i've been at .24 or higher at 6:30am many times in my younger days. and that's not counting early morning tailgates for steeler games but just going thru the night..

the difference is, i didnt drive a car on a major highway, get out and play frogger..

i dont exactly measure my alcohol content but i can say with absolute confidence that i've been at .24 or higher at 6:30am many times in my younger days. and that's not counting early morning tailgates for steeler games but just going thru the night..

the difference is, i didnt drive a car on a major highway, get out and play frogger..
You realize .25% is blackout level, right? If you were that way at 6:30am many times, I doubt you are a representative sample of people.

You realize .25% is blackout level, right? If you were that way at 6:30am many times, I doubt you are a representative sample of people.
people react differently.. it's reported that haskins to be at that level had to have 10 alcoholic drinks to have that BAC... you'd be surprised how quickly 10 drinks goes down under the right circumstances..

you'd be surprised how quickly 10 drinks goes down under the right circumstances..
Amongst my paternal grandfathers clan, easily in close to 90 minutes by some of the male population. Wild Turkey on the rocks while watching Saturday afternoon College football, I would guess 3- 4 oz per 1/2 hour.....not sure how they all lived into their 70's.....

Last edited:
Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
All I can say after reading this thread is: to all you non-lawyers out there, keep your day jobs.

people react differently.. it's reported that haskins to be at that level had to have 10 alcoholic drinks to have that BAC... you'd be surprised how quickly 10 drinks goes down under the right circumstances..
10 drinks for a social drinker is completely different than 10 drinks for a seasoned drinker. The BAC may be the same, but the functionality is not even close.

Reactions: Parkview57
well, odd for a guy who specifically was there to workout. and it was a weekday.

if he was still intoxicated on whatever, why was he driving at 6:30am? usually those people are passed out on a couch.
There were many witnesses who attested to the fact he was drinking heavily that night.

It sounds crazy and conspiratorial but it does happen. I've seen videos of girls on Barstool podcasts straight up bragging about helping a barely-conscious man put in his ATM information and make a max withdrawal so she'd either get a nice gift from him with the money or spending cash.

Obviously most women aren't like that but some are, and those that are will target wealthy men like Haskins.
This happens to me all the time. Just last night I had a few more drinks than recommended. My wife started showing me all these pictures of kitchen remodels and cabinets and colours. This morning she tells me thanks for agreeing to all that and it is happening. Of course I didn't get run over by a dump truck this morning. But I suspect if Haskins stayed home and got his wife a new kitchen, he would still be alive. And it looks like she still wants that kitchen.

Reactions: lilspainishflea
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT