ADVERTISEMENT

Heather Lyke

Tire fire with a much larger budget, much easier and more effective fundraising, a top 5 basketball program with a 25 year top-level coach, a way more established athletics infrastructure, a better and entirely familiar league--the league she has already spent considerable personal and professional time in--more TV revenue and revenue period, and far greater fan support?

Yeah, football is in a rebuild, but I'd say "tire fire" probably means something different to Lyke than it does to you.
Agree. She’s gone unless we offer her more money, and also an increased sports budget.

the fieldhouse is an absolute embarrassment of a facility. it's pathetic that our teams need to use it.

as for FB, tell me what she isn't doing? everyone screamed about needing stability - ok we have that. i'm not the biggest narduzzi fanboy but he's not embarrassing and not bad. if it wasn't a pandemic, he'd be on the hot seat right now.

and what do you want her to do about BB? she inherited a complete chernobyl situation. she tried capel and so far it's not going great. he had his pluses and minuses but we were all pretty happy with him as a hire. sometimes you swing and miss. is she supposed to fire him this off-season? he deserves a little more time.

you can't turn pitt football into a beacon of success in a couple of years. the ship is too big. i'd rather let her fix it than someone else. she's proven she can turn around crappy programs.

last year we had 3 pitt teams finish in the top 10. i doubt we've ever had more than one in a season. ever. she got you 3. you're ridiculous.
Excellent post! Let me add this thought on something you said:

“you can't turn pitt football into a beacon of success in a couple of years. the ship is too big. i'd rather let her fix it than someone else. she's proven she can turn around crappy programs.”

Let me give you an example of why the Steelers are so successful and teams like the Eagles are not.

The Eagles fired Doug Pedersen at the end of last season just a few short years after winning a Super Bowl. They replace him with a guy that has done ZERO, hoping to get better results.

Does that make sense? You got a guy that’s been there, done that and you fire him only to hire someone with no experience?

The Rooney’s on the other hand have stuck with coaches through lean years, because they have proven themselves and its paid off.

Now we have Heather and people would like her to leave so we can hire another AD with zero P5 experience hoping for better results……SHEESH!

Excellent post! Let me add this thought on something you said:

“you can't turn pitt football into a beacon of success in a couple of years. the ship is too big. i'd rather let her fix it than someone else. she's proven she can turn around crappy programs.”

Let me give you an example of why the Steelers are so successful and teams like the Eagles are not.

The Eagles fired Doug Pedersen at the end of last season just a few short years after winning a Super Bowl. They replace him with a guy that has done ZERO, hoping to get better results.

Does that make sense? You got a guy that’s been there, done that and you fire him only to hire someone with no experience?

The Rooney’s on the other hand have stuck with coaches through lean years, because they have proven themselves and its paid off.

Now we have Heather and people would like her to leave so we can hire another AD with zero P5 experience hoping for better results……SHEESH!
Well, Steeler coaches don’t seem to entertain other offers.

She has made many improvements at Pitt as AD and it is recognized in the NCAA. Is Pitt willing to pay to keep her? She has Big10 roots with ohio st and grew up in Canton. MSU is a higher profile job. I hope we keep her.
I not sure MSU is a higher profile job. It is a crap show up there

the fieldhouse is an absolute embarrassment of a facility. it's pathetic that our teams need to use it.

as for FB, tell me what she isn't doing? everyone screamed about needing stability - ok we have that. i'm not the biggest narduzzi fanboy but he's not embarrassing and not bad. if it wasn't a pandemic, he'd be on the hot seat right now.

and what do you want her to do about BB? she inherited a complete chernobyl situation. she tried capel and so far it's not going great. he had his pluses and minuses but we were all pretty happy with him as a hire. sometimes you swing and miss. is she supposed to fire him this off-season? he deserves a little more time.

you can't turn pitt football into a beacon of success in a couple of years. the ship is too big. i'd rather let her fix it than someone else. she's proven she can turn around crappy programs.

last year we had 3 pitt teams finish in the top 10. i doubt we've ever had more than one in a season. ever. she got you 3. you're ridiculous.
At Duke, their basketball arena is considered quaint and intimidating, its old. Just because its Duke, well .....

My .02 cents for what it's worth. She is a good AD who Pitt fans are valuing more than she is because they are used to incompetent people having that role. I only say that to say while I hope she stays, she is not some irreplaceable person either.
This is accurate, and pretty much where I'm at. Happy to have her and she's been mostly competent, which unfortunately has been an improvement over what we've suffered though for a long while. She's certainly not irreplaceable, but it would be nice not to worry about it.

Not sure I'd be throwing money at her either if she's already making $800k. She's fairly compensated for a school like Pitt. FWIW, old MSU AD was at $750k.

Reactions: bwh05 and Mikefln
If she wants to leave, I'll personally drive her to the airport. She has done a nice job in helping Pitt's Olympic sports teams prosper, but nothing to address the Pitt athletic department's #1 problem...the Pitt Football team. Without getting into a big discussion as to whether an on campus stadium is do able or not, she has made zero progress on looking into the matter. Also, did she say that "she has had contact with Michigan State about their AD opening?" If so, did she initiate the contact? If so, Pitt should have a huge issue with that.
Pitt fans love and I mean LOVE olympic sports. Well they dont go to the games and they don't watch them on TV so they really dont care at all about them...but they love them. Cant explain this phenomenon. These guys will never attend a volleyball game but think its a great idea to literally mortgage an arena.

Pitt fans love and I mean LOVE olympic sports. Well they dont go to the games and they don't watch them on TV so they really dont care at all about them...but they love them. Cant explain this phenomenon. These guys will never attend a volleyball game but think its a great idea to literally mortgage an arena.
Can you explain the phenomenon of you repeating yourself over and over and over?

pjviZ1o-HX1y0c1XaUzQyI4kamsGosTjZBS8td8kth-K3RDeXgyTuXEr_eZ25NmYoFq4Ufqsf3IP5oCC_uTGPfFZqR2ZcHZHpRX24Yb7eRc.jpg

So you’re telling all of that all it takes to get an on campus stadium is to hire another AD? That’s it? Brilliant…..
Pretty much. Its not about money. They are proving that with the volleyball project. Its about will. Pitt doesn't want one.

Sounds like our football fans

Pretty much. Its not about money. They are proving that with the volleyball project. Its about will. Pitt doesn't want one.
This contradicts every post you’ve made regarding olympic sports up until now. You’ve always said that they should be investing the Victory Heights money into a new football stadium, but now you’re saying that money doesn’t matter?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT