ADVERTISEMENT

Higher winning % over next 4 years: football or basketball?

Who will have a higher winning % over the next 4 seasons?

• Pitt Football

Votes: 91 55.2%
  • Pitt Men's Basketball

Votes: 74 44.8%

• Total voters

pittpitt

Freshman
Nov 30, 2002
Pitt football appears to be on the way up after years of .500 ball with expectations of 8-11 wins each year (including bowl game, so out of 13 games), and Pitt basketball has slipped a little bit after years of numerous .750 seasons. Who do you think will have more success from a winning % standpoint over the next 4 years?

Oh, this should be an interesting thread. Thing is, in basketball, you can pretty much schedule a third (OOC) of your slate on cupcakes, so if you even play close to .500 in your conference, you can win, well what we did this year 19 games, have a lot of 19-14 type of records without accomplishing anything. A 19-14 season equates to a 7-5 football season as far as percentages go.

Reactions: rc79
Are we counting Jamie Dixon's annual joke of a non conference schedule? If so then hoops. If you are only counting conference opponents for both football and hoops, I'd say football.

Are we counting Jamie Dixon's annual joke of a non conference schedule? If so then hoops. If you are only counting conference opponents for both football and hoops, I'd say football.
Good point---it does matter

Well, since over the past 4 years Football is 16-19 (45.7% winning percentage)...and hoops has it's worst two conference seasons over the past 4 years going over all 36-36 (50%).;..

my hunch is hoops is more likely to outperform in conference and out of conference..since they have a proven head coach, who in his worst stretch did fair.

Reactions: OriginalEther

I dunno. As a poster basically inference, in Jamie's worst seasons, they basically have achieved what the football program has done in their typical season. So it isn't that cut and dried that just because football appears to be on the up trend it only appears to be until it actually does it.

Well, that's countered by the fact that the conference schedule for hoops has always been tougher.

Souf's answer is the correct one, especially since Narduzzi is currently completely unknown as a head coach.
I have the typical new coach excitement, but keep in mind he has the same pedigree as his predecessor: he's a long time successful coordinator. Biggest difference between him and Chryst at this timeframe is that Narduzzi is the better speaker and was willing to initially hire a more diverse staff.

Is women's hoops an option to pick? :)

Of the two, men's basketball has to be the vote right now. JD has a great track record and Narduzzi is unproven. But hoops definitely is trending poorly...not so much in pure w-l, but their diminishing quality of play, especially defense. Hopefully the bottom has already been hit. But recruiting struggles of the past two off seasons have been concerning.

This is a scary question. I think we have a good chance of things going well under CPN, but he is unproven, Chryst was pretty awful and left a lot of holes, and we have a lot of natural hurdles to being better than a 8-10 win program. So, best case IMO for football is a .750 winning percentage. Basketball has dropped off badly and I worry we may be lucky to even be a .600 program the rest of the way under Jamie.

This sounds crazy, but I guess I will go with CPN because I think he will be something like 32-20 over the next 4 years. Basketball I think we will struggle to make the tournament or win 20 games, so that equates to about a below .600 winning percentage.

Counting conference only, again the ooc bball schedule is laughable, let's go ahead and speculate that hoops will be at. 500% which is optimistic considering our starting 5 next year, I would guess that football can win 5 games in the acc next year. Of course that could change in 2016, when Boyd and conner leave. The hoops program is trending down ( more like falling off a cliff). The football team is to be determined

Counting conference only, again the ooc bball schedule is laughable, let's go ahead and speculate that hoops will be at. 500% which is optimistic considering our starting 5 next year, I would guess that football can win 5 games in the acc next year. Of course that could change in 2016, when Boyd and conner leave. The hoops program is trending down ( more like falling off a cliff). The football team is to be determined

It's optimistic, when they went 8-10 last season despite gagging away several games?

Not that I expect people to actually look at what is real, versus what is imagined.

It's optimistic, when they went 8-10 last season despite gagging away several games?

Not that I expect people to actually look at what is real, versus what is imagined.
that's the truf souf, I will give you that. Maybe I'm optimistic with this team this year, nor so much with the staff as I am with Boyd, conner, chad having a year under his belt and a talented offensive line. I usually am not overboard with my predictions but I see 5 acc wins as very doable. On the flip side, I see our hoops projected starting lineup, the acc having 4 teams in the top 10, the fact that we have to go to a mid major and ivy school to find 40% of our starting lineup, and I get the urge to vomit all over myself

w/ 8 conference games & some apperances by ND, PSU, and other Power5 conferences on the horizon - Pitt Football plays the more competitive schedule overall. I voted for hoops having the better record (but that also accounts for the relatively weak OOC) as padding the win percentage. I think Pitt Football will be perceived as being more successful the next four years, but the (somewhat) misleading stat of BB wining percentage will give hoops a small edge.

that's the truf souf, I will give you that. Maybe I'm optimistic with this team this year, nor so much with the staff as I am with Boyd, conner, chad having a year under his belt and a talented offensive line. I usually am not overboard with my predictions but I see 5 acc wins as very doable. On the flip side, I see our hoops projected starting lineup, the acc having 4 teams in the top 10, the fact that we have to go to a mid major and ivy school to find 40% of our starting lineup, and I get the urge to vomit all over myself
One has a proven winner of a head coach.
The other will be coaching his first ever season.

That's my take.

I will go out on a limb here and say Pitt Football. Jamie's recruiting has not measured up lately and has shown no signs of a turn for the better. Look for basketball to hover around 500 winning percentage and football to be slightly better. If the Duzz gets it going, football could do much better than hoops!

Lets just put it this way.. With the way our basketball recruiting has been and looks to be in the near future, if it's not football, the narduzzi hire will be a bad one..

Well said Pghfan. Love the enthusiasm Narduzzi is infecting the team with. That being said, I am hoping for a Pat signal here in the near future. Our fourth recruit I hope is a good one, because it has been a long wait!

Basketball will continue to dominate in terms of overall & ACC conference winning percentage. Don't see that changing for a very long time.

Interesting question. Gotta figure that basketball will win just shy of 70% of its games. A 21-10 record is a 67.7 winning percentage. An 8-4 record in football is a point lower.

I'm less pessimistic than many on the basketball side because Dixon does well with upperclassmen, which he will have for the next two years at least. As a sophomore, Wannamaker looked as bad a Newkirk did this year, and we know how he developed and performed his last two seasons. Lamar didn't produce that much until his 4th, and especially his 5th years. Not a prediction that Newkirk will necessarily take a big leap, but look for the sophs as a group to perform better and win more games next year.
So, I'll lean to basketball winning this thing, even though I am cautiously optimistic about the win total for football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT