ADVERTISEMENT

How easy it is to forget

GT74

All Conference
Gold Member
Jul 20, 2001
New Castle
I know of the cliche 'recency bias', and it surely applies here. I don't know if some Pitt fans are just not true Pitt fans or what, but the 'give up' attitude towards the football program is really alarming. I agree that it has been two bad losses, our offense is terrible, and the negative projections have basis, but two losses does not a season make, unless you're a blue blood like Bama, Ga, OSU, etc. The cynicism of the program and its future is just not becoming of the fanbase. Has it been forgotten already that Pitt won the ACC two years ago, or that the team won 20 games in the last two years or finished strong after a bad run earlier? At the beginning of the season, optimism ran high, but it didn't take long (a couple of losses) for the cynics to come out. I too am very disappointed, think the offense needs a jumpstart, and am skeptical of the prospects of results forward, but I don't think the program is in the dumps, we need a new HC, or we should give up on the season. Fans need to continue to support the program, that's what good programs have and need. I will be at the game Saturday cheering on my alma mater. I hope other fans can put aside their disappointment and be there.

im not giving up as a fan but this season, geez man, i dont see it happening. i cant imagine we are this bad on offense, i mean we cant be but i just dont see up getting soo much better that we can compete with the better teams in the acc..

i am not kidding when i can honestly say that this is the worst qb situation i've seen in my life, and im sadly not that young. this is worse than bostic, worse than Lytle in 96, that mcconnel or someone in 98 (Pre Priestley). Worse than John Ryan in 94.

possibly even worse than Genilla in 87, maybe not but we had all american linemen and Ironhead on that team so it didnt matter..

im not giving up as a fan but this season, geez man, i dont see it happening. i cant imagine we are this bad on offense, i mean we cant be but i just dont see up getting soo much better that we can compete with the better teams in the acc..

i am not kidding when i can honestly say that this is the worst qb situation i've seen in my life, and im sadly not that young. this is worse than bostic, worse than Lytle in 96, that mcconnel or someone in 98 (Pre Priestley). Worse than John Ryan in 94.

possibly even worse than Genilla in 87, maybe not but we had all american linemen and Ironhead on that team so it didnt matter..

Its right there with Bostick/Smith but that team had Shady. This team doesn't. Jurkovec dipping to True Freshman Bostick level as a 6th year senior is one of the most incredible things I've ever seen. Not that he is a great QB but he shouldn't be this bad. Which is why I really think he has the yips and should be evaluated.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof
I’ve actually given up totally. I’m more focused on the mystery (misery) of the Steelers. They at least are supposed to have some talent and could possibly try to make moves (benching and firing), and frankly that is far more interesting than our program, which has vowed to change nothing

I’ve actually given up totally. I’m more focused on the mystery (misery) of the Steelers. They at least are supposed to have some talent and could possibly try to make moves (benching and firing), and frankly that is far more interesting than our program, which has vowed to change nothing
i've seen tweets of videos of the steelers OL and man, it's worse in slow motion than was in real life. the goal line play where naj fumbled, two OL actually positioned block, meaning they actually took a step back and to side, one guy whiffed, the other guy got blown up and well Naj got blasted..

we saw muth try to cut block already and it looked like a kid trying to avoid contact against a bigger kid, was truly pathetic. these are veterans doing this too. we can all think it's all Moore and Chuks just getting beat on the edge, and well we wouldnt be wrong but the interior guys are schematically, failing bad..

again, im no expert on OL blocking but its truly baffling what they are even trying to do. we are on one yard line and going to give it to Naj, you'd think the OL would just try and get a push on the guys, not take a step back and do this zone blocking / position blocking technique.

i've seen tweets of videos of the steelers OL and man, it's worse in slow motion than was in real life. the goal line play where naj fumbled, two OL actually positioned block, meaning they actually took a step back and to side, one guy whiffed, the other guy got blown up and well Naj got blasted..

we saw muth try to cut block already and it looked like a kid trying to avoid contact against a bigger kid, was truly pathetic. these are veterans doing this too. we can all think it's all Moore and Chuks just getting beat on the edge, and well we wouldnt be wrong but the interior guys are schematically, failing bad..

again, im no expert on OL blocking but its truly baffling what they are even trying to do. we are on one yard line and going to give it to Naj, you'd think the OL would just try and get a push on the guys, not take a step back and do this zone blocking / position blocking technique.
It’s a soap opera with the Steelers right now, and as the anxiety builds through the community it is becoming like the finale of the sopranos. So many cliffhangers, can they fire Canada (midseason, maybe even this month), should they bench Pickett if he continues to stink (and yeah, they should, I don’t care that he was a Pitt guy, all players should have to produce), the OL disaster, will Warren finally displace Harris as #1 like he deserves to, will Johnson return and throw diva fits that Pickens has displaced him, can Cam recover, when will Porter take over for Wallace, will yinzer media finally dare turn on Tomlin etc.

What drama is there with Pitt. Doofus insists he’s never benching the main problem. Story over. Screen black.

When a qb completes 18 of his last 52 passes, fans generally overreact
When a QB completes 18 out of his last 52 passes, and the coaches won't at least give the backup a chance, and we lose two games we probably should have won, I'm not sure it is an overreaction ...... if Jurkovec starts this week, I'll be rooting for him to have a good game because I want to see Pitt do well, but if he starts, has another terrible game, and the backup isn't tried early, there likely will be a mutiny at the game, on this board, and in the media afterwards ..... could get very ugly and Pitt doesn't need that.

It’s a soap opera with the Steelers right now, and as the anxiety builds through the community it is becoming like the finale of the sopranos. So many cliffhangers, can they fire Canada (midseason, maybe even this month), should they bench Pickett if he continues to stink (and yeah, they should, I don’t care that he was a Pitt guy, all players should have to produce), will Warren finally displace Harris as #1 like he deserves to, will Johnson return and throw diva for that Pickens has displaced him, will yinzer media finally dare turn on Tomlin etc.

What drama is there with Pitt. Doofus insists he’s never benching the main problem. Story over. Screen black.
as much as i hate canada, what does firing him in week 3 do? You arent changing systems, so then you have Mike Sullivan calling Matt Canada plays. dont think that fixes the problems..

it's a move that needs made in off-season, before spring when you can at least implement the basics of the new system..

Warren is better than Najee, he needs to play at least 50% of snaps, if not more.

I like Dionte and welcome him back and yes, i know im pretty much alone with being a dionte fan..

I think you have to remember....

1) This is all happening during a time when the sport is surrounded in uncertainty and we're not sure where we fit in, in the future.

2) There's a certain "If not now, then when?" element to this. Like if we don't elevate the program after winning the ACC, will it ever happen?

3) Alabama fans had their pitchforks out after Saban last year. This is not unique.

I personally feel like Narduzzi did earn some goodwill among the fans for winning the ACC. It's why I'm not mad, per se, about this season as much as I'm finding some of Jurkovec's throws to be funny.

as much as i hate canada, what does firing him in week 3 do? You arent changing systems, so then you have Mike Sullivan calling Matt Canada plays. dont think that fixes the problems..

it's a move that needs made in off-season, before spring when you can at least implement the basics of the new system..

Warren is better than Najee, he needs to play at least 50% of snaps, if not more.

I like Dionte and welcome him back and yes, i know im pretty much alone with being a dionte fan..
See, this is why it’s more interesting. The questions, the drama. The entire city is losing their minds over these things too. Just everywhere. A beer distributor near my house (I go past it on my way to church 😏) has put a big sign outside “FIRE MATT CANADA”. Not hand made either, they paid someone money to have it made.

Nobody except the 17 or so fools on this board give a shit about Pitt other than to make fun of us as our own coach condemns us to constantly lose. Pitt admin cares least of all too, they’re all laying top soil over the volleyball building.

Last edited:
Reactions: pittdan77
See, this is why it’s more interesting. The questions, the drama. The entire city is losing their minds over these things too. Just everywhere. A beer distributor near my house (I go past it on my way to church 😏) has put a big sign outside “FIRE MATT CANADA”. Not hand made either, they paid someone money to have it made.

Nobody except the 17 or so fools on this board give a shit about Pitt other than to make fun of us as our own coach condemns us to constantly lose. Pitt admin cares least of all too, they’re all laying top soil over the volleyball building.
I treat the whole Canada thing a bit differently. Tomlin is supposed to be a HOF coach and gets mentioned for being one of the best in the game. Nobody has ever talked about Duzz that way but he checks a lot of the boxes that the admin has for the football program.

I treat the whole Canada thing a bit differently. Tomlin is supposed to be a HOF coach and gets mentioned for being one of the best in the game. Nobody has ever talked about Duzz that way but he checks a lot of the boxes that the admin has for the football program.
I don’t see the Steelers making any change with him until the season finishes. And it’s such a long season, and so much parity on paper that there will be ebbs and flows. By the end the Steelers will likely be around the .500 level they have been the past decade, and Tomlin fans can rejoice, Tomlin detractors can grimace. But there will be interesting things happening, wins, losses, injuries, stupid quotes, Burrow coming to town, Jackson coming to town, etc etc.

There is no such with Pitt. This is a 1998 types of season we all dreaded but hoped we’d moved past the chance of happening. But the signs were there. Unable to sign a solid prep QB, no skill players wanting to transfer in. We not only got no bump from 2021 but things got HARDER. Throw in the doofus coach insisting he’ll never make a change where it clearly most needs one. Why care?

explain to me what is happening here? I dont even know what is happening across the board.

Washington in no position to be able to pick up the tackle. OUr left guard ignoring the guy in front of him and pulling to get in front of the guy in front of the right guard but way to slow, The center ignoring both DTs and trying to block the linebacker but taking a terrible angle, and Moore at Left tackle making a seal block to open the outside on an inside run..

Even the Right guard missed his block but it didnt really matter. Chuks was the only one that didnt royally screw up with his half assed shield block.

The only thing i can think of is that everyone screwed up or Naj was designed to go wide and panicked and cut it inside. that's the only explanation i have..

I think you have to remember....

1) This is all happening during a time when the sport is surrounded in uncertainty and we're not sure where we fit in, in the future.

2) There's a certain "If not now, then when?" element to this. Like if we don't elevate the program after winning the ACC, will it ever happen?

3) Alabama fans had their pitchforks out after Saban last year. This is not unique.

I personally feel like Narduzzi did earn some goodwill among the fans for winning the ACC. It's why I'm not mad, per se, about this season as much as I'm finding some of Jurkovec's throws to be funny.
#2 - When Pitt (fans, community, boosters) get serious and start matching NIL money with The U, FSU, UNC, and Clemson.

Crazy stuff be happening when the season goes off the rails early. Lots of weird chatter about Chicago right now.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT