ADVERTISEMENT

How would you allocate NIL funds to the team?

jbuck3394

Prep
Gold Member
Jul 31, 2017
Sorry if this topic has already been brought up or discussed on this board, I mainly just read and don't post much. That being said given all the signing day stuff taking place and how NIL has changed college football, I have been thinking how should NIL funds be used for a football team. I know Chris started touching on this in one of his morning Pitts but I wanted to dig into that more so here is my question.

Let say Pitt has 10 million dollars in NIL funds to use each year to allocate to the team, how should that be allocated? (picked 10 million for simplicity and thinking of this more of as a salary cap exercise like the NFL. I know Pitt like most schools probably doesn't have 10 million each year to pay in NIL given how it is currently set up). Feel free to just break it down like Chris did by just splitting it between high school recruits, transfers and current roster. But also feel free to get as detailed as you would like. I linked how the NFL salary cap gets distributed by position for reference.

Here are my thoughts:
- 1 million goes to signing bonuses for high school recruits for signing with Pitt (10% of budget)
- 1 million goes to signing transfers (10% of budget)
- I think you need a pay incentive that pays all 85 scholarship players and increases with each year you stay with the team. If you say we have 17 players in each group its about 1.7million in cost (17% of budget)
- 10,000 for freshman​
- 15,000 for Sophomore​
- 20,000 for juniors​
- 25,000 for seniors​
- 30,000 for redshirt seniors​
- I would want the following bonus structure set in for the team success. Cost range from 0 to 4.25 million depending on team success (0% to 42.5% of budget)
- 5,000 for each player for winning 10 regular season games​
- 5,000 for making ACC championship game​
- 10,000 for winning ACC​
- 10,000 for making playoff​
- 20,000 for winning National championship​
- The rest should go to top talent on the team and retaining them and probably includes a similar pay structure as above but for being a starter, all acc, all American. Cost from 2.05 million to 6.3 million depending on how the bullet above goes. (20.5% to 63% of budget)

This would be a fluid situation where if you have a bad year you can take money budgeted for team and player performance and put it towards transfers and recruits and vice versa if the team is doing well you will want to spend more money to keep them. But roughly I think this is what college football is headed for as it seems like it is only a matter of time before we are in a pay for play model.

Curious what other peoples thoughts are. Sorry for the long post just bored at work.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News