ADVERTISEMENT

I’m not against the end of the ACC

Macchiato

Freshman
Oct 15, 2017
I hope multiple teams pay the exorbitant exit fee. We then take this money to add a stadium and upgrade other sports. A D1 hockey program would be awesome. We then merge with the B12 bringing Syracuse, BC, VT, Duke and who ever else with nice away games now including WVU and Cincy. We even add a western division and add Cal and Stanford. ND remains an independent but B12 in football. We are never going to be Alabama. We need to be focused on the match ups that matter.

with these mass conferences that span across the country, going to be interesting to see how these olympic programs handle the mid week travel. the rutgers womens' soccer team playing washington just doesnt seem to be worth it..

The Big 12 actually has a nice midwest/west footprint right now. WVU, Cincinnati, and UCF are outliers in the east. If it comes to it, Pitt would be a regional fit with a big rivalry games with WVU and of course Cincinnati ;)
I agree. But nothing is guaranteed.

Reactions: KennyHeisman8
The Big 12 actually has a nice midwest/west footprint right now. WVU, Cincinnati, and UCF are outliers in the east. If it comes to it, Pitt would be a regional fit with a big rivalry games with WVU and of course Cincinnati ;)
Although I’d rather end up in the B1G/SEC, the Big 12 wouldn’t be terrible, especially if we have a few other ACC schools come with us. Plus, I’d love having the basketball tournament in Kansas City every year… the rest of yinz, not so much. :)

I would be shocked if we do not end up in the SEC so that they could establish themselves in the northeast market along with Cuse and BC.

I would be shocked if we do not end up in the SEC so that they could establish themselves in the northeast market along with Cuse and BC.
The northeast will not be without a home. There are way too many eyes on T.V.s in this area.

I would prefer to be in a conference with Louisville, Cincy, WVU, Syracuse, B.C., Virginia Tech and Duke with occasional N.D.

The ACC and B12 leftovers merging would create a conference that stretches coast to coast if cal and Stanford are also brought on board. Create a real super conference with an east vs west championship. This is the way!!!

What I don’t get is do those teams really add new viewers? Like my tv package gives me acc, sec, and big networks already. I didn’t need to specifically sign up for one. Would more people really want SEC football or are they already watching it? I watch across conferences.

And people need to stop assuming we have a guaranteed spot in the big xii

Stop with your Big 12 love-fest. Its trash. I have no interest in getting into that league. Lets say the ACC only loses 4 (FSU, Miami, Clem, UNC), I am fine with this conference. Big 12 comp in parentheses)

BC (Houston)
UConn (Utah)
Syr (Kansas)
Pitt (WVU)
Lou (Cincy)
UVa (Colorado)
VT (OK St)
NC St (ASU)
Wake (Baylor)
GT (TCU)
USF (UCF)
FAU (Iowa St)
Tell Temple they are in if they get a stadium
Navy (football-only) BYU

Yes, right now the Big 12 is better but with Texas and OU in the SEC, you will see a shift of Texas recruits from TT, Baylor, TCU, and Houston to LSU, Ark, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Miss St.

What I don’t get is do those teams really add new viewers? Like my tv package gives me acc, sec, and big networks already. I didn’t need to specifically sign up for one. Would more people really want SEC football or are they already watching it? I watch across conferences.
Anything associated with the BIG and SEC does add new viewers are they garnish the most attention,with the pac gone and the 2 heavy hitters from the BIG 12 gone if your not in one of the 2 premier conferences you will struggle,Clemson and FSU will get their share regardless but the main brands really help

If the ACC ends Pitt has to have a landing spot,they can’t go independent,they would never get the tv deal

Well of course they would. I mean UConn has a television deal for their football games, and no one cares about UConn football. BYU was an independent in football, and they had a television deal for their football games. Army is an independent in football, and they have a television deal for their football games. UMass is an independent in football, and they have a television deal for their football games. And then of course there is Notre Dame.

So last year there were five 1A independents (this year there will be four) and every single one of them has a television contract for their football games.

The northeast will not be without a home. There are way too many eyes on T.V.s in this area.

I would prefer to be in a conference with Louisville, Cincy, WVU, Syracuse, B.C., Virginia Tech and Duke with occasional N.D.

The ACC and B12 leftovers merging would create a conference that stretches coast to coast if cal and Stanford are also brought on board. Create a real super conference with an east vs west championship. This is the way!!!
So what you are asking, is for the third time in a row, Pitt joins a basketball conference.

Stop with your Big 12 love-fest. Its trash. I have no interest in getting into that league. Lets say the ACC only loses 4 (FSU, Miami, Clem, UNC), I am fine with this conference. Big 12 comp in parentheses)

BC (Houston)
UConn (Utah)
Syr (Kansas)
Pitt (WVU)
Lou (Cincy)
UVa (Colorado)
VT (OK St)
NC St (ASU)
Wake (Baylor)
GT (TCU)
USF (UCF)
FAU (Iowa St)
Navy (football-only) BYU

Yes, right now the Big 12 is better but with Texas and OU in the SEC, you will see a shift of Texas recruits from TT, Baylor, TCU, and Houston to LSU, Ark, Mizzou, Ole Miss, and Miss St.
That looks ****ing awful

Reactions: singregardless
I’ve said the same thing.

Realignment is something to be emotionally invested in if you’re one of the few teams that can get into the Big 2, or won’t end up anywhere when it’s all said and done.

Everybody else will have a comparable landing spot. There’s no world where BYU is playing a level of football above VT, Pitt, Lville, NC State, etc. Anybody obsessing about that and marveling at the Big 12’s moves, are being silly.

Reactions: singregardless

Realignment is something to be emotionally invested in if you’re one of the few teams that can get into the Big 2, or won’t end up anywhere when it’s all said and done.

Everybody else will have a comparable landing spot. There’s no world where BYU is playing a level of football above VT, Pitt, Lville, NC State, etc. Anybody obsessing about that and marveling at the Big 12’s moves, are being silly.
I don’t marvel at their moves. They lost Texas and OU. They replaced with schools that will never play in a NC game. The ACC will likely lose their top programs. The landing spot is a place with the traditional match ups I grew up watching.

Good read. Seems the fsu “barking” has created an us vs fsu in the acc. Even some of the “magnificent 7” schools have publically said it.

The comments by unc ad the other day were calculated and agreed upon by the other acc schools

Yes. I’ve had no affinity to the ACC (Vice versa certainly true). It saved our football momentarily at the time. I appreciate that but have no emotional or belonging sentiment there, never have, never would. It was back during the beginning of all the nonsensical random musical chairs of realignment (Nebraska to the Big Ten etc). BC, Cuse, Pitt, Louisville, none of us ‘belong’ in the ACC. But who cares, we still got a path to the playoff from it,

The same will be true of whatever occurs for Pitt when this is said and done. Is it the ACC with USF instead of FSU. Fine. We have played them, what, twice in our time in the ACC? We’ve played Oklahoma State as often. If they leave, if any of them leave, and we still end up with a playoff spot, who cares.

Is it the B12? Whatever. I don’t relish those mostly crap opponents. But frankly our conference now is mostly crap opponents. What’s the difference.

Some miracle willing, is it the Big Ten? A little better (depending on the financial terms). Better, more interesting, more relevant opponents. As long as we have a path, however theoretical, to the playoff, it’s totally all myself and most fans will care about. That is critical, though.

Good read. Seems the fsu “barking” has created an us vs fsu in the acc. Even some of the “magnificent 7” schools have publically said it.

The comments by unc ad the other day were calculated and agreed upon by the other acc schools
Good listen from Syracuse podcast hosting Luke DeCock of the News & Observer: https://www.syracuse.com/orangespor...state-makes-a-fuss-about-the-acc-podcast.html

Last edited:
If this goes how I think it will, I'm out. I can deal with losing Cam Johnson to UNC or Addison to USC. When I see the likes of Kentucky and Purdue poaching our roster because they dwarf us in revenue I'm done with this.
In theory the schools can't pay the players it's on the boosters. So how much a team gets from the conference won't matter

Reactions: HailToPitt725
I’m against all of this realignment and the destruction of historically significant rivalries, regional alignments, tradition, playing for pride, at least the appearance of amateurism, etc, all so the schools can get more of the already outrageous TV revenue that they have always received.

But the horses are way out of the barn on the rapid downward plunge of college athletics, so all anyone can hope for is that the school they support has a chair at the table when the music eventually stops playing.

It’s beyond sad and shameful that it has come to this—the schools are the puppets, the massive network conglomerates are the masters. In the end, the money ALWAYS wins.

Well of course they would. I mean UConn has a television deal for their football games, and no one cares about UConn football. BYU was an independent in football, and they had a television deal for their football games. Army is an independent in football, and they have a television deal for their football games. UMass is an independent in football, and they have a television deal for their football games. And then of course there is Notre Dame.

So last year there were five 1A independents (this year there will be four) and every single one of them has a television contract for their football games.
UCONN gets 100k per football game aired,so less than 2mill per year for football,army is one of the biggest brands regardless how good their team is,and BYU only made 6mill total as independent by ESPN,that’s not much at all and I doubt with Pittsburgh being so small of a market we would get much,root sports already airs the WVU games

• Haha
Reactions: FireballZ
UCONN gets 100k per football game aired,so less than 2mill per year for football,army is one of the biggest brands regardless how good their team is,and BYU only made 6mill total as independent by ESPN,that’s not much at all and I doubt with Pittsburgh being so small of a market we would get much,root sports already airs the WVU games

Two things. First off, so you agree with me that Pitt would obviously get a television contract. Because everyone does. Thank you.

Secondly, Root Sports? It hasn't been Root Sports in more than six years. But in any event, WVU games aren't on AT&T Pittsburgh any more. They are on ESPN+, like all the other Big 12 tier three games. But when those games were on AT&T Pittsburgh it was because AT&T sold the air time to West Virginia. AT&T didn't pay WVU to air the games, WVU paid AT&T to air the games.

Oh, and a third thing. Army one of the biggest brands? What year is this, 1943 or 2023? Army football isn't one of the 100 biggest college football brands. And basketball is even worse than that.

BC (Houston)
UConn (Utah)
Syr (Kansas)
Pitt (WVU)
Lou (Cincy)
UVa (Colorado)
VT (OK St)
NC St (ASU)
Wake (Baylor)
GT (TCU)
USF (UCF)
FAU (Iowa St)
Navy (football-only) BYU

That conference above would be trash. Pitt would lose 30 percent of their fan base playing in that league.

Only alumni would invest their time and energy playing in that cesspool. The other Pitt fans ( non Alumni) I would put that number around 50 percent most would lose interest. Or find another team to follow who is in the big boy league

I’m against all of this realignment and the destruction of historically significant rivalries, regional alignments, tradition, playing for pride, at least the appearance of amateurism, etc, all so the schools can get more of the already outrageous TV revenue that they have always received.

But the horses are way out of the barn on the rapid downward plunge of college athletics, so all anyone can hope for is that the school they support has a chair at the table when the music eventually stops playing.

It’s beyond sad and shameful that it has come to this—the schools are the puppets, the massive network conglomerates are the masters. In the end, the money ALWAYS wins.
What we need is an actual governing body over FBS football. Have the P5 (now P4, then P2) schools come together and create one collective TV contract with equal revenue sharing and return to regional conferences. Bring back the PAC, the SWC, the Big 8; heck, give the old eastern independents their own region.

Reactions: FireballZ
Right now, the ACC is still together and for all of the pronouncements about how terrible the GOR is for the conference, it kept the wheels from falling off. Even if a couple of schools end up leaving a few years from now, I don't see a Pac12 scenario happening. It's still going to have a really good media footprint in good football areas. We don't know if big conferences will shed members or if the ACC can pick off Big12 schools. Too early to know for certain but for the moment, the ACC isn't in terrible shape.

the two major football conferences are contracting major college football. why is anyone "Not against" this? All of this crap we've been witnessing is nothing but the big 10 and the sec wanting more of the revenue pie.. it was 6 conferences, then 5, now 4 and well we all know the end game, and that's 2.

The big 10 and sec want 100% of the revenue from major college football. They'll add a few teams for sure but it's bad and it's nothing more than contracting major college football for more money..

the two major football conferences are contracting major college football. why is anyone "Not against" this? All of this crap we've been witnessing is nothing but the big 10 and the sec wanting more of the revenue pie.. it was 6 conferences, then 5, now 4 and well we all know the end game, and that's 2.

The big 10 and sec want 100% of the revenue from major college football. They'll add a few teams for sure but it's bad and it's nothing more than contracting major college football for more money..

Because none of us really watch PAC12 football.

We all had our chance to stop this. We decided we’d rather watch the CBS SEC game of the week.

And to be fair, these other conferences didn’t even try to get us to watch them.

Right now, the ACC is still together and for all of the pronouncements about how terrible the GOR is for the conference, it kept the wheels from falling off. Even if a couple of schools end up leaving a few years from now, I don't see a Pac12 scenario happening. It's still going to have a really good media footprint in good football areas. We don't know if big conferences will shed members or if the ACC can pick off Big12 schools. Too early to know for certain but for the moment, the ACC isn't in terrible shape.
Correct.

Reactions: pittdan77

We all had our chance to stop this. We decided we’d rather watch the CBS SEC game of the week.

And to be fair, these other conferences didn’t even try to get us to watch them.
i always disliked SEC Football on CBS, no joke either. im talking ALWAYS disliked it. i think it was either the CBS coverage or Verne Lundquist's voice.. it is why i grew up disliking NFC football cause again, it was on CBS/KDKA and listening to Madden and Summerall was like listening to nails down a chalkboard..

For some weird reason, i always really really disliked CBS/KDKA growing up. from national sports to their dumb sitcoms in the 80's (honestly cant think of a good sitcom on CBS growing up) to even the local news coverage..

Just like the rest of our capitalistic society.
The richer you are; the more you want. Greed is good, remember.
The system of college football drove the current landscape.
They wanted it bad; and they got it bad.

Reactions: Zeldas Open Roof

this has nothing to do with us not watching USC play at 10pm. this was in the works years before this. it's why the big east got ruined, pac 12, and the end game will be two major conferences and a 3rd one who picked up teh scraps and will get 25% of the money that the big 10 and sec does..

I think this is what’s going to end up happening, to a certain extent. Instead of the Big Ten and SEC voting out members, I think the biggest brands from both (plus a few from the ACC) will just come together to form their own super league. I think it’s even more of an inevitably now that private equity may potentially be involved (see: FSU).

Reactions: ThePanthers
I think this is what’s going to end up happening, to a certain extent. Instead of the Big Ten and SEC voting out members, I think the biggest brands from both (plus a few from the ACC) will just come together to form their own super league. I think it’s even more of an inevitably now that private equity may potentially be involved (see: FSU).
Yup. If greed drove them this far, why not just take the next step, get rid of the schools that drag down on the shares, and get it over with?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT