ADVERTISEMENT

I bought 3 extra tickets for Saturday... but the athletic department is messing this up

UPitt '89

Board of Trustee
Gold Member
Mar 14, 2002
I have two season tickets in Club 206.

I bought 3 extra tickets through the Pitt ticket office for friends in the upper deck for Clemson. $70 each. But I'm a die-hard and so are my friends.

The *CHEAPEST* ticket in the building for Saturday is $65.

That's ridiculously high, especially for the upper deck end zone and corner sections.

Pitt should be doing everything they can to get as much walk-up sale as possible for this game to fill the building.

The casual fan ain't paying $65 to sit in the nosebleeds, folks.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. We're going to get 55k.....but it would be 65k if they offered the nosebleeds at say $30-$35.

Except there isn't.

Go to the Pitt ticket website and look. Massive whole sections of the upper deck are still available.

There isn't enough demand to fill those seats at $65-70 a pop.

Agreed. It should be all about getting as many butts in the seats as possible.

Except there isn't.

Go to the Pitt ticket website and look. Massive whole sections of the upper deck are still available.

There isn't enough demand to fill those seats at $65-70 a pop.
800px-Forbidden-151987.svg.png

If there’s still Panther fans looking for tickets come Friday night/Saturday morning, I highly recommend using the “Gametime” ticketing website. I’ve found them to be much better than the other sites (e.g. TicketMaster, StubHub) at locating discounted prices as it gets closer to kickoff.

However, the downside is that it’s still a secondary ticket market so I don’t believe any money would go towards the athletic department.

If there’s still Panther fans looking for tickets come Friday night/Saturday morning, I highly recommend using the “Gametime” ticketing website. I’ve found them to be much better than the other sites (e.g. TicketMaster, StubHub) at locating discounted prices as it gets closer to kickoff.

However, the downside is that it’s still a secondary ticket market so I don’t believe any money would go towards the athletic department.
Doesn't that mean SOMEBODY paid for the ticket originally? So the athletic dept still got their money.

troll nitters would rather go to the cow pasture erector set and pay $35 to watch an overrated joke

Well, I have to agree somewhat. I bought 4 extras for this game in the lower bowl, about $100 each. My season ticket in the same areas is like $350 for the whole season. I get that you want to get the $$$ while you can, but a money grab for one game is not going to help build interest long term, imo.

The price on my printed ticket is 96 for this game
And the price for mine is $174.

That's beside the point. Have to act like the cruise lines do.... they make sure there are no empty cabins, and give massive discounts in order to get them all filled before launch. 15,000 empty yellow seats don't help ANYONE. And those bleacher seats in the upper deck north end zone ain't going to sell at $65 a pop.

Don't get me wrong...I am in complete agreement about the price. If I was pitt I would set aside some that I know won't sell and give them to whomever. Frontline workers. Kids football leagues. More pitt students. Hell do the promo where pitt fans can buy extras at a cheap rate just to get more fans there.

Reactions: UPitt '89
Don't get me wrong...I am in complete agreement about the price. If I was pitt I would set aside some that I know won't sell and give them to whomever. Frontline workers. Kids football leagues. More pitt students. Hell do the promo where pitt fans can buy extras at a cheap rate just to get more fans there.

I bought 3 extra tickets through the Pitt ticket office for friends in the upper deck for Clemson. $70 each. But I'm a die-hard and so are my friends.

That's ridiculously high, especially for the upper deck end zone and corner sections.

Pitt should be doing everything they can to get as much walk-up sale as possible for this game to fill the building.

Stupid, stupid, stupid. We're going to get 55k.....but it would be 65k if they offered the nosebleeds at say $30-$35.
A bitching yinzer is a happy yinzer

Reactions: ThePanthers
$65 isn't a lot of money. if you're on the edge of not being able to afford it, you aren't going if it's $10.
A young family of four, casual fans, won't pay $260 to go to a game. And that's not counting parking and concessions.

You want to expose new fans to game - especially young families with kids - you have to price it right.

$65 for upper deck north end zone bleacher-style nosebleeds isn't getting anybody into the stadium.

Doesn't that mean SOMEBODY paid for the ticket originally? So the athletic dept still got their money.
It does but if you buy from Pitt it means they’d get more. But I get it. If it’s cheaper that’s what people will do. And I can’t say I wouldn’t do the same.

I agree about the ticket prices. They should do a package deal for the remaining games.

I have a feeling there will be about 50k in the stadium.

A young family of four, casual fans, won't pay $260 to go to a game. And that's not counting parking and concessions.

You want to expose new fans to game - especially young families with kids - you have to price it right.

$65 for upper deck north end zone bleacher-style nosebleeds isn't getting anybody into the stadium.

the minimum i see on stubhub is $50. overwhelming majority are more than that. market says $65 is a good deal.

the minimum i see on stubhub is $50. overwhelming majority are more than that. market says $65 is a good deal.
$65 is what Pitt is charging if you buy through Pitt.

There will be 10,000+ empty seats Saturday.... many could've been filled if priced to market better.

$65 is what Pitt is charging if you buy through Pitt.

There will be 10,000+ empty seats Saturday.... many could've been filled if priced to market better.

They'd still be empty because those people would find something else to bitch about that wouldn't allow them to go.

Reactions: pitt90seven
If it was the market.... then there would be no unsold seats on Saturday, by definition.

that's not what, "market," means. at all. it's the going price of a ticket on the open market.

if a tv costs $500 at best buy, if they have stock on hand of those tvs, it doesn't mean the cost is less than $500. (i can't believe i have to explain this)

that's not what, "market," means. at all. it's the going price of a ticket on the open market.

if a tv costs $500 at best buy, if they have stock on hand of those tvs, it doesn't mean the cost is less than $500. (i can't believe i have to explain this)
Seating is not like store inventory. You can't sell it at some later time by having it "on hand".

Seating is like a cruise ship cabin. If the ship sails with an unsold cabin, that is money lost that cannot ever be made.

Or like fresh produce at the grocery store. It gets thrown out if not sold by a certain date and the revenue is lost.

If 10,000 tickets go unsold on Saturday, they can't be held as inventory to sell at some later time.

Once 3:30pm comes on Saturday, those seats are produce that must be thrown out. It is lost revenue that can't be made up.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

You have to lower the price to whatever gets butts into the seats on Saturday. Pitt isn't doing that. And there will be 10,000 unsold and empty seats that could've had butts in them.

This reminds me of when they charged like $100 for the cheapest Duke ticket for bball. What should have been a sellout crowd was about 2K short and mostly Duke fans since casual Pitt fans werent paying $100 to watch a bad Pitt team.

Speaking of basketball, how about the cheapest lowers for season tickets costing $630? GT won the ACC last year and their cheapeat lowers are $560. Pitt basketball is at the point where they needed to drastically reduce prices because no one is going. Like $300 for lowers and $150 for uppers. The place is going to be a morgue

Seating is not like store inventory. You can't sell it at some later time by having it "on hand".

Seating is like a cruise ship cabin. If the ship sails with an unsold cabin, that is money lost that cannot ever be made.

Or like fresh produce at the grocery store. It gets thrown out if not sold by a certain date and the revenue is lost.

If 10,000 tickets go unsold on Saturday, they can't be held as inventory to sell at some later time.

Once 3:30pm comes on Saturday, those seats are produce that must be thrown out. It is lost revenue that can't be made up.

I can't believe I have to explain this.

You have to lower the price to whatever gets butts into the seats on Saturday. Pitt isn't doing that. And there will be 10,000 unsold and empty seats that could've had butts in them.

what other event lowers the price like that? do the steelers lower prices if all the seats aren't sold? a band comes to town - do they lower the price the week of the show?

they do not. show me another event where they do this.

Especially when it can be watched at home near a warm fireplace in HD for free. We do need to support don't get me wrong but I think a packed house does more for the team honestly. They need and deserve that.

Reactions: UPitt '89

Ultimately, the real problem is that there are too many seats for Pitt's fanbase. The price almost doesn't matter. They could be $10 and there would still be an issue filling all of those upper sections.

The solution is a new smaller stadium, or tarping sections of HF.

what other event lowers the price like that? do the steelers lower prices if all the seats aren't sold? a band comes to town - do they lower the price the week of the show?

they do not. show me another event where they do this.
A. The Steelers don't have a perception problem about fan support.

B. If a band can't sell enough seats at a venue, they either move to a smaller venue, cancel the concert, or tarp/curtain off seats. And yes, if promoters are having trouble selling out shows, they lower the prices.

C. I already gave you an example: Cruise ships. They don't want to ever leave port with any empty cabins - so they'll offer sometimes up to 90% discount the morning of the launch to get people in those cabins.

D. Bowl games do this all the time. If they are having trouble filling a stadium, they practically give tickets away in the final week before the game to the locals to get the stadium more full.

Pitt's problem here is that they priced the upper deck seats too high for this game. That was a mistake. The upper deck seats should've been priced at $30-$40 all along - and then the sales for this game would be much more crisp.

No casual fan is paying $65 to sit in bleacher endzone nosebleeds. They just aren't. And we don't have enough more-than-casual fans like me who will pay $210 for 3 extra seats to the game above my season tickets.

Ultimately, the real problem is that there are too many seats for Pitt's fanbase. The price almost doesn't matter. They could be $10 and there would still be an issue filling all of those upper sections.

The solution is a new smaller stadium, or tarping sections of HF.
Yes... but for Clemson this week you could get over 60k in that stadium with better pricing.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT