ADVERTISEMENT

I get the sense that something is about to happen.

mdpitt

All American
Sep 9, 2002
Nordy will likely be seen as one of the greatest leaders in the History of Pitt. Steve Pederson will likely be fondly kicked around but certainly made some changes that will look more like benefits. Both were crippled by their VERY measured delivery of speech that was intelligent but often took the life out of the room. With Norderberg it was viewed as intellectual and with Steve it was guarded which led to mistrust and insincerity.

We are smack dab at the start line of a few new guys that just might loosen a room full of donors and might oil their wrists to add some zeros to that check. Heck, EJ Borghetti must be in heaven with all this new material from a cast of people that all appear to be anxious to get every single morning started and make something happen. The new AD, Chancellor, and Head football coaches all seem to have the same DNA and I just bet that rubs off on Jamie Dixon who is a hell of a coach but might be able to enjoy the process of the grind a little more and have some more fun and be more loose. Jamie has come a long way but in his communication but these guys might just rub off on him in a great way. All are intense but look like they can have some fun. We are even blessed with Suzie McConnel-Serio.

I get the sense that something good is happening. When you feel that way, players make plays and get less bogged down with the x and o's. I am an eternal optimist of Pitt but I am sleeping a little better these days.

Reactions: FD56
I would suggest to any rich, big donors, who an afford to give lots of money, DON'T GIVE if the goal isn't WIN BIG/WHATEVER IT TAKES. Don't give, just to get to 8-4 and brag about being "clean". Don't give unless you MEAN TO WIN BIG. To be FSU or Clemson, or Louisville at least. Don't give a cent if the goal is to be Wake Forrest or Vandy and brag about academics or integrity.

READ MY COMMENT RICH DONORS!!!!!

This is as good a place as any to post this.......

But many of you kool aid drinking, blinders wearing imbeciles were equally as excited when SP got here.

Fantastic pedigree..........came from football factories Ohio State, Nebraska and Tennessee....our football program is going to take off.....we are going to own the Big East........hell....they called the guy Rocket Man.........

Our football program soared to such heights........ that we became a basketball school.

Barnes deserves the benefit of doubt. And we surely have a clean slate at the top of the house......

But 30 years of mediocrity will NOT be wiped clean just because one AD is out and another is in.

But many of you kool aid drinking, blinders wearing imbeciles were equally as excited when SP got here.

Fantastic pedigree..........came from football factories Ohio State, Nebraska and Tennessee....our football program is going to take off.....we are going to own the Big East........hell....they called the guy Rocket Man.........

Our football program soared to such heights........ that we became a basketball school.

Barnes deserves the benefit of doubt. And we surely have a clean slate at the top of the house......

But 30 years of mediocrity will NOT be wiped clean just because one AD is out and another is in.
I agree on just a new AD but we have a trifecta of fresh thinking. There really is no time in our history where we have had three new leaders in key posisitions and we basically know what our football schedule will be for the next decade. This moment is far different than when "rocket man " appeared.

Rocket Man had some good ideas. Trying to reach out and make "Pitt" into "Pittsburgh's" team was one of them. But the execution not only didn't work, it alienated portions of the already small fan base.

Course his decision on Pitt Stadium was bad - we could have found room in Oakland for the Pete and had Pitt Stadium too. The opposite is going to be very tough to do...

I only met the guy one time, but my first impression was that he really lacked the "people skills" it takes to operate effectively in the AD position. He was not a good schmoozer at all, in fact, he appeared to be just the opposite.

Go Pitt.

Pittsburgh would have eagerly adopted Pitt as a city icon if the teams had been more successful ... with or without a superficial campaign to do so.

And still will do so, if our teams could make exciting runs (particularly with the Pens and Steeters on a low ebb and the Pirates simply not a very realistic chance to win it all, despite a couple decent recent seasons).

Pittsburgh, a very insecure place, given a poor national reputation, craves to be called "the best" in anything. So it rewards it's winning teams in very lucrative fashion, and that goes beyond mere ticket sales or merchandise.

An entity with a consistently excellent high level sports team can dictate practically anything in this city and region, politically. It can open doors that have typically been slammed shut in the university's face, despite how critical the university is to the region. Winning sports would lift the tides for the school in ALL areas. And the AD won't need to change team names, logos or colors or embarrassing PG and billboard ads for it to happen.

I don't subscribe to the 30 years of mediocrity line.
Seen some great football and great players.
Lot of nice wins - cataclysmic upset of the hillbillies. Nice wins over Ped State, Notre Dame, VTech.
Some of the best players ever - Revis returning the punt, Aaron Donald taking down two guys, Fitzgerald was the best Wide Receiver I've ever seen. A lot of disappointment and embarrassments as well - like last year.
I'd say the last 4 years were pretty bad - but not the last 30.

Other teams and programs have fared way worse

Reactions: Chuck221
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT