ADVERTISEMENT

I'd like to address Minchey and Hykeem Williams...

Adam Gorney

Jul 14, 2005
For the five-star release file earlier this week, I inadvertently forgot to mention Pitt as one of the top schools for Hykeem Williams. That was my mistake. While I still believe Texas A&M looks best and Florida State made up some ground this summer, Pitt is absolutely one of his favorites especially because of his relationship with Tiquan Underwood.

As for Minchey, I can certainly understand an argument for him being a four-star right now but he did move up after the Elite 11 and based on historical norms of how many four-star QBs we have in a class, there's a very good possibility (read between the lines there) that Minchey will move up when we re-do rankings following his senior season.

The difficult part we had in this last rankings cycle is that Brayden Dorman didn't do any big events this summer and Brock Glenn wasn't great at Elite 11 but was phenomenal at the Rivals Camp in Dallas so we have to weigh those considerations in position movement.

I will say during the "pro day" event at Elite 11 where they went the length of the field making the gauntlet of throws, Minchey was very good and that's why I rated him in the upper half of quarterbacks. The first night during drill work he was OK, probably around 10-12 of the QBs there, and the third day was kind of a wash because everyone was over it by then.

I also asked and was told that one of our analysts, Sean Williams, will be at Minchey's game in person when they play Chris Parson and Brentwood (Tenn.) Ravenwood this season. An in-person, in-season evaluation will be good to get a more accurate read on his ranking.

I also promise you that which school he's committed to has no impact on our rankings. Ahead of him, Pierce Clarkson is committed to Louisville and they're hardly a powerhouse. At the time of rankings, Rickie Collins was committed to Purdue. That plays no role in our thinking. Plus, I'm from Pennsylvania (originally the Wilkes-Barre area) so I have a soft spot there.

Before all is said and done, we will do our absolute best to get Minchey rated where we best feel he deserves to be but one event in the summer isn't going to be the be-all, end-all of rankings. I suspect he ends up somewhere in the 10-12 range in the pro-style QB rankings but anything can happen. I'm sure many disagree with that analysis but that's where it stands now. Thanks for reading.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News