ADVERTISEMENT

I'm About Done With College Sports

wvkeeper(HN)

Chancellor
Feb 4, 2007
How much longer can this last if FBS just turns into European Soccer where the "Saudis" at Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, etc... just buy players every year.

Getting not worth the money for the Alliance and season tickets.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
If we could just get like 1,000 - 2,000 cheap asses to part with at least $19.76 a month, we really wouldn't be doing too bad.

The big donors don't want to light their money on fire if they see that only they are committed to this. It's a morale thing as much as anything.

If we could just get like 1,000 - 2,000 cheap asses to part with at least $19.76 a month, we really wouldn't be doing too bad.

The big donors don't want to light their money on fire if they see that only they are committed to this. It's a morale thing as much as anything.
Thats a half million a year. We need waaaaay more than that to put on top of big donor money

Thats a half million a year. We need waaaaay more than that to put on top of big donor money

Oh absolutely. But the commitment attracts big donors. They like being the big fish among a large collective.

No one wants to give $2M/year to something 38 people are donating to. That just makes them think, "Wait, why am I the only one around here who is pulling his or her weight?"

It's just like anything else. You don't want to be the one who does all the work while Jane and Tommy go outside and chain smoke Marlboro Reds all day while talking to their significant others on the phone. We've all worked with those people and know the feeling.

I agree with you. It’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Are you part of Alliance 412?

I agree with you. It’s peanuts in the grand scheme of things. Are you part of Alliance 412?

Yes, though I do find it ironic because I am rooting for NIL to implode and go away.

At the end of the day, $20/month is simply not that much money. Most schools' season tickets cost more than outs anyway. Just consider it an addition to that cost.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce
Oh absolutely. But the commitment attracts big donors. They like being the big fish among a large collective.

No one wants to give $2M/year to something 38 people are donating to. That just makes them think, "Wait, why am I the only one around here who is pulling his or her weight?"

It's just like anything else. You don't want to be the one who does all the work while Jane and Tommy go outside and chain smoke Marlboro Reds all day while talking to their significant others on the phone. We've all worked with those people and know the feeling.

It's more than just that. It's the entire system.

Heard a great segment on a Tennessee podcast last week. (I tuned in for the back and forth on Cal - UK) but anyway, they were talking about how there is already a lot of tampering going on with QB Nico Iamaleava. They proposed a hypothetical that if a sophomore like Nico led the Vols to a successful season and Tennessee made the playoffs... why wouldn't he use the portal as leverage before ever committing to suiting up for Tennessee in a playoff game? He could hit the portal in early December and open his services up to all bidders. He would be foolish not because the current system encourages it.

This is unsustainable. Whatever you are paying into NIL today just to remain somewhat competitive (forget about competing for championships) it's almost certain to cost substantially more in the future. The VERY NEAR future. The genie doesn't go back in the bottle.

Heard a great segment on a Tennessee podcast last week. (I tuned in for the back and forth on Cal - UK) but anyway, they were talking about how there is already a lot of tampering going on with QB Nico Iamaleava. They proposed a hypothetical that if a sophomore like Nico led the Vols to a successful season and Tennessee made the playoffs... why wouldn't he use the portal as leverage before ever committing to suiting up for Tennessee in a playoff game? He could hit the portal in early December and open his services up to all bidders. He would be foolish not because the current system encourages it.

This is unsustainable. Whatever you are paying into NIL today just to remain somewhat competitive (forget about competing for championships) it's almost certain to cost substantially more in the future. The VERY NEAR future. The genie doesn't go back in the bottle.

There are some things that could quell the madness:

1) This is the last season that should be affected by the extra Covid year (with a few medical exceptions, maybe). That means less graduates having another transfer season in their back pocket. Could be null and void if unlimited transfers become a thing, but...

2) While making players employees might not thwart NIL in general, it could create contracts which would at least ensure some stability and stop this blind bidding where players go into the portal just to field offers (and lie to School X about what School Y offered, etc.).

So I don't know if NIL outright stops (I've even made the comment that I wonder if pro fans might start adopting it as a quasi way to exceed the salary cap), but I think these things - in conjunction with the fact that some blowhard politicians will eventually start attacking it - could make it much more manageable. We'll see what damage it exacts in the meantime.

Yes, though I do find it ironic because I am rooting for NIL to implode and go away.

At the end of the day, $20/month is simply not that much money. Most schools' season tickets cost more than outs anyway. Just consider it an addition to that cost.
I refuse to donate any money for NIL. I would rather watch a losing team than support a system where fans pay the players. I will continue to donate to the athletic department and university.

I refuse to donate any money for NIL. I would rather watch a losing team than support a system where fans pay the players. I will continue to donate to the athletic department and university.

You donate to Steeler players by buying tickets.

And I cant fathom why anyone true Pitt fan would donate to Panther Club over Alliance 412. Let the university fund whatever projects PC funds. Pitt has the money, trust me. Fans should be diverting that money to pay the players.

Reactions: TheSpecialSauce

It's $20/month. Just consider it a subscription membership to follow Pitt athletics.

Plus, NIL might not be around in this capacity forever, so it could just be a temporary thing we fans have to get through. Can't let the team turn to complete garbage in these years, though. Too much at stake.

NIL is way more important than athletics donations right now. Hence, why Ole Miss wasn't even accepting athletics donations for a while. They instructed all donors to redirect their funds to NIL.

There are some things that could quell the madness:

1) This is the last season that should be affected by the extra Covid year (with a few medical exceptions, maybe). That means less graduates having another transfer season in their back pocket. Could be null and void if unlimited transfers become a thing, but...

2) While making players employees might not thwart NIL in general, it could create contracts which would at least ensure some stability and stop this blind bidding where players go into the portal just to field offers (and lie to School X about what School Y offered, etc.).

So I don't know if NIL outright stops (I've even made the comment that I wonder if pro fans might start adopting it as a quasi way to exceed the salary cap), but I think these things - in conjunction with the fact that some blowhard politicians will eventually start attacking it - could make it much more manageable. We'll see what damage it exacts in the meantime.
I don't know about DeShields' and Hayes' contracts but I am personally familiar with the contract details of at least one prominent player at Pitt. It's split into two phases: the offseason and the season. So this player gets paid to practice in the Spring and then they sign another deal to play in the fall. And Pitt was not their highest offer financially.

I assume that DeShields and Hayes are in similar boats. Hayes likely for more money.

I really don't think this was about "not winning" for them as Hayes put it. I think they finished their contract, got paid, and believe or know they have better offers elsewhere. They may even get NIL money from another program as an inducement while sitting out this season.

yep, so a typical die-hard probably pays $500 donation for a club seat, $100 for parking, then a donation on Day of Giving to the Football championship fund. Now we also have to start giving to NIL, where a modest donation (.i.e. $500/year) doesn't move the needle much at all. Meanwhile conferences are bringing in more TV money than ever and where is that going?

Problem is there aren't a lot of voices complaining about it. National media like Stewart Mandel are mostly fanboys who might make a comment or two against NIL but once the games start he starts swooning how great college football is and doesn't see a problem with another Georgia-Alabama rematch in the championships.

Reactions: ThePanthers
How much longer can this last if FBS just turns into European Soccer where the "Saudis" at Michigan, Ohio State, Alabama, etc... just buy players every year.

Getting not worth the money for the Alliance and season tickets.

I would love to give it up but the college game is still a lot more entertaining than the NFL. But all this bull crap makes it harder and harder to keep watching.

yep, so a typical die-hard probably pays $500 donation for a club seat, $100 for parking, then a donation on Day of Giving to the Football championship fund. Now we also have to start giving to NIL, where a modest donation (.i.e. $500/year) doesn't move the needle much at all. Meanwhile conferences are bringing in more TV money than ever and where is that going?

Problem is there aren't a lot of voices complaining about it. National media like Stewart Mandel are mostly fanboys who might make a comment or two against NIL but once the games start he starts swooning how great college football is and doesn't see a problem with another Georgia-Alabama rematch in the championships.

Dont give to the Panther Club. Why would you? Players need paid and we have to pay them for the next 5 or so years until they become employees with the next lawsuit.

Dont give to the Panther Club. Why would you? Players need paid and we have to pay them for the next 5 or so years until they become employees with the next lawsuit.

Yeah, no one should be giving a dime to the athletic dept right now. This isn't the time for new carpeting in the players' lounge and cooler volleyball uniforms.

They have all the money they need. If you want to stay afloat, contribute to the NIL. Hell, freaking Syracuse has done some nice things in the portal this offseason. It's not impossible if we get the money.

Yeah, no one should be giving a dime to the athletic dept right now. This isn't the time for new carpeting in the players' lounge and cooler volleyball uniforms.

They have all the money they need. If you want to stay afloat, contribute to the NIL. Hell, freaking Syracuse has done some nice things in the portal this offseason. It's not impossible if we get the money.

I dont think Pitt even wants you to give to the PC. They advertised A412 not the PC on the jumbotron. The PC model is a dinosaur now. For everyone, not just Pitt. Those fundraising arms will be gone soon. Its all about player salaries now and if the university cant afford new carpeting in the locker room, it shouldn't be D1.

Good post and you are right; the price of poker will increase dramatically. How can it not?

Me? Not a nickel for NIL. Sorry guys, I've done my share for over 40 years and I am not funding this bullshit anymore.
Just a matter of principle.

Good post and you are right; the price of poker will increase dramatically. How can it not?

Me? Not a nickel for NIL. Sorry guys, I've done my share for over 40 years and I am not funding this bullshit anymore.
Just a matter of principle.

Will you fund new carpeting though?

People don't have extra money for entertainment anymore. Economy is pretty bad

People don't have extra money for entertainment anymore. Economy is pretty bad
Unemployment rate all time low

Wage growth crushing inflation

Housing prices all time high (most people's retirement)

Nasdaq and S&P 500 all time high

GDP growth good (and one of the best all time rates for an advanced, service-based, economy)

Consumer spending high

Interest rates historically normal

You need to take an economics class

Unemployment rate all time low

Wage growth crushing inflation

Housing prices all time high (most people's retirement)

Nasdaq and S&P 500 all time high

GDP growth good (and one of the best all time rates for an advanced, service-based, economy)

Consumer spending high

Interest rates historically normal

You need to take an economics class

I think he meant that as a joke as in the economy is so great that $20/month is chump change for everyone. Dont want to turn this into another economic post but they may have to start raising interest rates again because people simply cant stop buying. No matter how much prices go up, these folks cant be stopped. Everyday is Christmas. We have somehow become Qatar. Everybody rich.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT