ADVERTISEMENT

Is Answer To Athletic Director Instability Making More Familiar Hires?, LINK!

CaptainSidneyReilly

Chancellor
Dec 25, 2006
Good Article on a changing CFB Scene that was posted last week on CFB Programs hiring many more Staffers becoming like General Managers. Since Pitt is in the midst of hiring another AD thought it is appropriate discussion to enlighten and discuss if so desired. The Article brings up recent ACC Coaching Hiring like Pitt did as well.I have been advocate of hiring Athletic Directors that know the Region and Conference and wants to come and stay at Pitt, unlike Pederson and Barnes that came to Pitt to go back to Alma Maters.
Excerpts:

There is newfound stability in the ACC head-coaching ranks, a nod to not only the high-quality hires who have come into the league, but also the idea that these programs are no longer viewed as "stepping-stone" jobs. Where the turnover has come is on the athletic director level. During the past year, four athletic directors have departed for other jobs. Three spent three years or less in the ACC. Two spent less than two years in the ACC. There is one thread that ties most together:.....Scott Barnes left Pitt for Oregon State to be closer to family and his native Pacific Northwest.......Pitt is still looking to replace Barnes, while Boston College must find an AD who understands where the Eagles fit into the landscape given a much smaller athletic budget.......A trend appears to be forming, especially when you begin looking a little bit deeper.......In all, six ACC athletic directors had previous ties to their respective programs. So is this all a coincidence? Or is there a growing trend toward hiring athletic directors with program ties as a way to gain stability and the nuance needed to address the unique challenges that face every athletic department?.....Read The Rest Of The Discussion In The Thread, It May Portend Pitt Next Athletic Director???
LINK:
http://www.espn.com/blog/acc/post/_...rector-instability-making-more-familiar-hires

How bout an AD with the balls and knowledge to make a coaching hire on his/her own without pussing out by hiring a hiring firm to do it for them.

We find someone who can do that, I'll be satisfied, even if they decide to leave the job 18 months later because their mom is now in her 80s.

How bout an AD with the balls and knowledge to make a coaching hire on his/her own without pussing out by hiring a hiring firm to do it for them.

We find someone who can do that, I'll be satisfied, even if they decide to leave the job 18 months later because their mom is now in her 80s.
Dr. Judl with some help did it as an Interim AD, and did not need the Pederson 19 Years to learn how not to do it and another 5 at Nebraska??? Then again, he found Barnes that got Homesick?

Maybe Pitt can find someone that is Homesick too, like Coach Pat wanted to come to the region he father coached knew well too.

If Pitt Cured Polio, why can't Pitt Cure Homesickness?

Or Hire better Consultants that can find Great Coaches & Athletic Directors instead of being the Best Consultants at spending Pitt Money on Buyouts?????

Last edited:
Reactions: Piranha
I'm available. Here is my platform:

1. Bring back throwback uniforms permanently.

2. Free beer and chili dogs at the O before every game.

3. Chauffeur driven limos to get students to the game and back.

4. Get rid of "Sweet Caroline" and replace it with "Money Talks" by AC/DC.

5. Bull doze the Cathedral to make room for an on campus stadium.

6. Negotiate with Trump to have Stallings take over the NSA

7. I'll take the job for a "meager" $750K".

8. Willing to sign a lifetime contract so that when I get fired, my buyout is roughly equal to the GDP of Equador.

What could go wrong?

Cruzer

Reactions: CaptainSidneyReilly
In any organization, if you really want to be national power, you need to attract and select the best talent from across the nation. If a local or in-house applicant still comes out on top against a national pool of talent, then great, but you can't self-limit the options.

Reactions: Jpripper88
In any organization, if you really want to be national power, you need to attract and select the best talent from across the nation. If a local or in-house applicant still comes out on top against a national pool of talent, then great, but you can't self-limit the options.
Yeah.....Pitt has done more to Self-Destruct by limiting their option to returning Pederson in 2007? So much for your theory.

Bingo. Hire the best. Support those people. Reap the benefits.

Scott Barnes was a clear whiff.

Huh? How does a (mostly) failed re-tread hiring kill the theory that recruitment from a broad national pool, regardless of local ties, is best?
It was not reflective on your comments but I meant I am tired of Pitt ignoring your idea of the Best Person but doing the opposite that for quite a while, and over and over. I apologize it was not against you, but Pitt has to to improve in its selections.

Reactions: JoseLind13
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT