ADVERTISEMENT

Joey porter earning his nickname

In the last 10 years (2013-2022), defensive pass interference and defensive holding have been 3rd and 4th in the most-called penalties in the NFL for 17 of 20 3rd and 4th place slots. The only more frequently called penalties were false starts (2) and offensive holding (1). The other 3 times unnecessary roughness snuck into the 4th spot. You understand the way you think the position should be played, not the way it actually is played. Defensive holding, and DPI, which commonly takes the form of arm grabbing (aka a form of holding) as the ball is coming down, is how everybody plays the position now. 2023 so far, defensive holding and DPI in 3rd and 4th place yet again. Go tell NFL DBs to get off your lawn with their grabby hands, I don't think they're gonna listen to you
Thank you for sharing the useless data that you looked up. I'm just going by what I have seen when I watch the guy play. Certainly ALL CB's hold, probably on every play. They are not the only defensive players who do that stuff, every DL. LB and DB do it as well. I've grown used to it and usually just ignore it. Porter, Jr. is just do bad at it, it is obvious to everyone watching him defend against the pass.

Total number of times that Porter has been called for these penalties so far this season (including all penalties that were declined or offsetting:

Holding - 1
Illegal Use of Hands - 1
Pass Interference - 0
Illegal Contact - 0

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
If you want your CB's to collect multiple holding and PI calls a game, then yes he is doing tremendous. BY the way, it doesn't matter that he's 7 games into the season, this is just how the guy plays CB. He clutches and grabs quite often. Didn't follow him at NA but I bet that he played the same way there because that's how he played at psu.

He did have a great assault on that Browns WR at the end of the game that wasnt called.

Reactions: YourPittDanceTeam
I think this thread has more potential than Poker’s KeBryan Hayes thread only because Teton doesn’t seem like the type to eventually give in like Poker did. Will definitely be a fun one to follow as JPJ progresses.

Total number of times that Porter has been called for these penalties so far this season (including all penalties that were declined or offsetting:

Holding - 1
Illegal Use of Hands - 1
Pass Interference - 0
Illegal Contact - 0
Please don't even try to bring up useless stats to try to show that Porter, Jr. is doing well. Just watch when/if he gets on the field against the Packers. The guy will clutch and hold the WR, on EVERY play. They just aren't calling them every time he clutches and grabs his opponent.

Please don't even try to bring up useless stats to try to show that Porter, Jr. is doing well. Just watch when/if he gets on the field against the Packers. The guy will clutch and hold the WR, on EVERY play. They just aren't calling them every time he clutches and grabs his opponent.

If they aren't calling him for penalties, and so far they are not, then there is nothing wrong with what he's doing.

Would you rather he not hold and a pass get completed, or hold, the pass is incomplete, and no penalty is called? Because it sounds like you'd pick the first one.

And that's completely and utterly moronic.

This is another one of those things where what you think doesn't matter, not ever one little bit, and only what has actually happened on the field matters. And actually, on the field, Porter has not been called for some ridiculous number of penalties and actually, on the field, the guys who Porter has covered have not caught many passes and gained many yards.

And for some reason, that kills you. So you make up stupid crap to try to pretend that what has actually happened isn't what has really happened, that everyone in the whole world has been completely fooled.

Except for you, of course. Because you know better.

Are these stats better? Or do they still not affirm your pre-conceived opinion?

A picture of Peezy Jr that matches Teton’s opinion of him.

F-BDgHpacAA69kQ
Well done. My wife asked me what I was laughing about.

• Haha
If they aren't calling him for penalties, and so far they are not, then there is nothing wrong with what he's doing.

Would you rather he not hold and a pass get completed, or hold, the pass is incomplete, and no penalty is called? Because it sounds like you'd pick the first one.

And that's completely and utterly moronic.

This is another one of those things where what you think doesn't matter, not ever one little bit, and only what has actually happened on the field matters. And actually, on the field, Porter has not been called for some ridiculous number of penalties and actually, on the field, the guys who Porter has covered have not caught many passes and gained many yards.

And for some reason, that kills you. So you make up stupid crap to try to pretend that what has actually happened isn't what has really happened, that everyone in the whole world has been completely fooled.

Except for you, of course. Because you know better.
Joe...Let me begin by saying that I don't need referees to throw a flag or call a penalty when I can see the thing with my own two eyes. You can follow along with your logic and I will do the same with mine. That my friend is not "moronic" as you say, but having a backbone to stand up for what you see and believe to be true. Even if it means being attacked verbally online by a someone such as yourself. I used the same logic last year after watching the first couple of games of frank cignetti's high school offense being run at Pitt. I didn't like it and I said so. Others on this website did not see what I saw and went on the attack. I didn't have any "statistical data" to support my claim, just going on what I saw with my own two eyes. I got verbally attacked for that then as well because I had no statistical data to support my claims then, just as I have none now.
By the way, since you now playing the role of Dr. Phil and you can read my mind, can you please tell me why this "kills me"??? One other thing my friend, I usually think things through completely before posting on the internet. I never try to attack another person personally or call them rude names because that doesn't help when two people are having a friendly discussion about a subject.
Finally, whether your opinion is right or wrong, I encourage you to keep on expressing it and I will do the same when it comes to me expressing mine.

Joe...Let me begin by saying that I don't need referees to throw a flag or call a penalty when I can see the thing with my own two eyes. You can follow along with your logic and I will do the same with mine. That my friend is not "moronic" as you say, but having a backbone to stand up for what you see and believe to be true. Even if it means being attacked verbally online by a someone such as yourself. I used the same logic last year after watching the first couple of games of frank cignetti's high school offense being run at Pitt. I didn't like it and I said so. Others on this website did not see what I saw and went on the attack. I didn't have any "statistical data" to support my claim, just going on what I saw with my own two eyes. I got verbally attacked for that then as well because I had no statistical data to support my claims then, just as I have none now.
By the way, since you now playing the role of Dr. Phil and you can read my mind, can you please tell me why this "kills me"??? One other thing my friend, I usually think things through completely before posting on the internet. I never try to attack another person personally or call them rude names because that doesn't help when two people are having a friendly discussion about a subject.
Finally, whether your opinion is right or wrong, I encourage you to keep on expressing it and I will do the same when it comes to me expressing mine.

No matter how much you believe that Porter is committing a penalty on almost every play the reality is that he is not. Because he's not actually getting called for them. At the end of the day the only thing that matters is what actually happened, not what you or I think happened. And what has actually happened is not what you have convinced yourself has happened.

Some people might call that delusional, but I don't want you to think I'm rude so I won't.

Looking like Joey is on just about everything midseason NFL all-rookie team that is out there. I guess he really isn't doing all that poorly.

Dude is doing very very well in just about every national media opinion. But I guess you know better.

Dude is doing very very well in just about every national media opinion. But I guess you know better.
You can judge "Dude" any way you'd like and create your own opinion on "Dude", just as I have. What we are both doing is offering our own subjective opinion on "Dude" and his play. I do not need the opinion of some national media person for me to form my opinion. It's kind of like, looking at a girl you see at work. You may think she's pretty because shes got blonde hair and blue eyes. I may look at the same girl and think the complete opposite because I like woman who have brown hair and green eyes. It's a subjective call on both of our parts. No one is necessarily right or wrong, just two different opinions based upon our past experiences and what we expect to see.

You can judge "Dude" any way you'd like and create your own opinion on "Dude", just as I have. What we are both doing is offering our own subjective opinion on "Dude" and his play. I do not need the opinion of some national media person for me to form my opinion. It's kind of like, looking at a girl you see at work. You may think she's pretty because shes got blonde hair and blue eyes. I may look at the same girl and think the complete opposite because I like woman who have brown hair and green eyes. It's a subjective call on both of our parts. No one is necessarily right or wrong, just two different opinions based upon our past experiences and what we expect to see.
On the other hand, when every non-local national guy has the same impression of Porter, which varies with a few of the impressions here, one wonders where the disconnect is. And of course Joey has a couple of attributes that may outweigh any real impressions of his play on the field, for some.

So, are you ready to begrudgingly admit that Porter is playing pretty well, or are you going to keep doubling down on your opinion?

https://sports.yahoo.com/steelers-cb-joey-porter-keeps-051556251.html

He's playing well there can be little doubt. People just hate on him because he went to PSU. Though, he did make a misstep in one game and gave up a TD, which keeps getting ignored

He's playing well there can be little doubt. People just hate on him because he went to PSU. Though, he did make a misstep in one game and gave up a TD, which keeps getting ignored

He holds every play. Even in the highlight package they showed of him, the guy is clearly holding. He's more handsy than his pal, Jerry.

He holds every play. Even in the highlight package they showed of him, the guy is clearly holding. He's more handsy than his pal, Jerry.
If you're jamming a WR at the LOS you can make contact. He did a great job on Chase yesterday. It's not surprising that you have no idea what you're talking about

Who cares? He's getting the job done and he's containing a lot of very good receivers in the process.

Do we care that Pitt DBs are handsy and draw a lot of flags in college (although I think the refs look extra hard when they're officiating a Pitt game)? A lot of those guys develop and become very good NFL defensive backs.

Reactions: hermdigity
You may need to brush up on the current version of the PI rules. They allow for plenty of contact and hand play by both players.

Reactions: happjack
Wow there’s more stupid in this thread than most threads on this site.

Porter is turning out to be the steal of the draft but morons obsessed with UPS still can’t admit he’s a pretty darn good Cb. But but but the refs never call holding LOL. For those of you who are apparently new to football the refs don’t call holding on most plays be it offensive holding or defensive holding. New flash DBs and OL hold on just about every play. The Best players rarely get called

I dislike UPs as much as anyone couldn’t stand paterno. But he’s dead and we don’t play them anymore. Obsessing over ups makes you clowns look like you have an inferiority complex

Who cares? He's getting the job done and he's containing a lot of very good receivers in the process.

Do we care that Pitt DBs are handsy and draw a lot of flags in college (although I think the refs look extra hard when they're officiating a Pitt game)? A lot of those guys develop and become very good NFL defensive backs.

I dont know if they let more go in the NFL or what. Maybe because its a spot foul, they let more go than in college, but its telling when even a highlight package of him shows him holding opposing WRs. He's going to get a reputation for that and they will start calling them.

I dont know if they let more go in the NFL or what. Maybe because its a spot foul, they let more go than in college, but its telling when even a highlight package of him shows him holding opposing WRs. He's going to get a reputation for that and they will start calling them.
You oughta remember this and apply it much more frequently.

Reactions: sdnp
Its not that he just played at PSU. He's a local kid who chose PSU over Pitt.
So what? I know lifelong Nitter families whose offspring spurned PSU for Pitt’s dental school. People make life decisions for themselves and not 40,000 fans.

Porter is turning out to be the steal of the draft but morons obsessed with UPS still can’t admit he’s a pretty darn good Cb. But but but the refs never call holding LOL. For those of you who are apparently new to football the refs don’t call holding on most plays be it offensive holding or defensive holding. New flash DBs and OL hold on just about every play. The Best players rarely get called

I dislike UPs as much as anyone couldn’t stand paterno. But he’s dead and we don’t play them anymore. Obsessing over ups makes you clowns look like you have an inferiority complex
That’s a bingo. Well said.

I’ll add this…a former steeler player said the other day tht if he holds on 5 plays and gets called once, it’s a win every day if the week.

And frankly, they are all handsy. Porter is only being looked at under a magnifying glass by people who act like tools.

It’s no different than people saying Pickett misses throws…when they all miss throws.

Reactions: pittbb80

They're just not Steelers fans. He's a legacy of one of the most famous Steelers of the Cowher era and he's absolutely killing it in his first year. If you can't get behind him, it's obvious you are not a fan of the team at all.

• Love
Reactions: HailToPitt725
That’s a bingo. Well said.

I’ll add this…a former steeler player said the other day tht if he holds on 5 plays and gets called once, it’s a win every day if the week.

And frankly, they are all handsy. Porter is only being looked at under a magnifying glass by people who act like tools.

It’s no different than people saying Pickett misses throws…when they all miss throws.
Here’s one for you. In CFB the saying goes if you ain’t cheatin you ain’t trying

Well if a DB ain’t holding he’s not playing

They're just not Steelers fans. He's a legacy of one of the most famous Steelers of the Cowher era and he's absolutely killing it in his first year. If you can't get behind him, it's obvious you are not a fan of the team at all.
I could care less if he’s a legacy or where he went to school. Performance matters most and then is he a team player or a knuckle head.

So what? I know lifelong Nitter families whose offspring spurned PSU for Pitt’s dental school. People make life decisions for themselves and not 40,000 fans.

He chose to play at a program that embraces pedophilia instead of his hometown team. I hope the worst for him

Holding - 1
Illegal Use of Hands - 1
Pass Interference - 0
Illegal Contact - 0
Please dont confuse them with stats

He chose to play at a program that embraces pedophilia instead of his hometown team. I hope the worst for him
Nobody associated with the PSU football program now had anything to do with the awful happenings at PSU under Joe PA and Sandusky. I got the pedophilia fan angle when were not so distant Rivals, but now.....not so much. Now if you want to bust their balls for unwarranted arrogance and lack of self awareness, I'm down with that.

Reactions: HailToPitt725
Nobody associated with the PSU football program now had anything to do with the awful happenings at PSU under Joe PA and Sandusky. I got the pedophilia fan angle when were not so distant Rivals, but now.....not so much. Now if you want to bust their balls for unwarranted arrogance and lack of self awareness, I'm down with that.

Nah. Disgusting program in every way. Paterno statue will be back soon and they will begin to worship a Pedo enabler again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT