Vader_Storm

Sophomore
Dec 16, 2018
In the last 10 games of the season for all college basketball teams,

Pitt is ranked

17th overall in the entire country in overall efficiency

12th overall in the entire country in efficiency on offense

68th overall in the entire country in efficiency on defense

I dont want to start too many threads, but this is really worth mentioning of how much this team really improved this year. And I just want to say Im proud of the way this team finished the season even if we dont make the tournament.

We are a good team, and the numbers back it up.

Pitt is ranked

I dont want to start too many threads, but this is really worth mentioning of how much this team really improved this year. And I just want to say Im proud of the way this team finished the season even if we dont make the tournament.

They are a Top 20-25 team at the moment but it is what it is. We lost to Missouri 9 months ago.

Top 20 Hottest teams in the country in efficiency going into the NCAA Tournament per Torvik.

1) Houston
2) Uconn
3) Iowa State
4) Arizona
5) Auburn
6) Creighton
7) Nebraska
8) Duke
9) Purdue
10) North Carolina
11) Gonzaga
12) St. Mary's
13) Marquette
14) Illinois
15) Wisconsin
16) Tennessee
17) Pitt
18) St. Johns
19) Texas
20) Baylor

Pitt is ranked

The selection committee should be selecting the best teams at the time of the tournament.

If you have a good coach, your team should be peaking as the season moves on. Which means if you are putting an equal weight on early OOC games as the back end of conference play - you simply are missing the point imo.

The early games should matter but not as much as the last 20 and last 10 games. Especially with the amount of roster movement in the game now.

Weightings should be something like: first 1/3rd 20%, second 1/3rd 30%, last 1/3rd 50%.

1 win vs a Tourney team, without 40% of starting lineup.

Blown out in numerous games.

Lost to Syracuse 2x. Clemson 2x

Sorry. Beating Louisville 2x and the rest of the last 12 wins bs the shitty ACC programs.

Win more
Schedule better teams

Play better.
Realize you are trolling, but I am going to agree with you to an extent. If I remember right, the 1-4 start, Hinson was not shooting all that well and the two freshmen guards along with Ish were still trying to figure things out after teams became physical with them. But after Duke, you could see they figured things out on most nights and were becoming a very good team.

If you just look at what you typed above, your point is spot on. But that is only if you live in a Pitt bubble and not look at what the other teams on the bubble did. My guess is those that are barely in or barely out have a at least a few WTF loses to go along with some unexpected wins. That's why they are all around the bubble. Pitt isn't the only team with the resume you have above and I would venture to guess Pitt was one of the better teams on the bubble during the last 15 or so games. Not saying they should be in or out, but it's not based solely on just what Pitt has done this season.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Realize you are trolling, but I am going to agree with you to an extent. If I remember right, the 1-4 start, Hinson was not shooting all that well and the two freshmen guards along with Ish were still trying to figure things out after teams became physical with them. But after Duke, you could see they figured things out on most nights and were becoming a very good team.

If you just look at what you typed above, your point is spot on. But that is only if you live in a Pitt bubble and not look at what the other teams on the bubble did. My guess is those that are barely in or barely out have a at least a few WTF loses to go along with some unexpected wins. That's why they are all around the bubble. Pitt isn't the only team with the resume you have above and I would venture to guess Pitt was one of the better teams on the bubble during the last 15 or so games. Not saying they should be in or out, but it's not based solely on just what Pitt has done this season.
Couple things with his post.

1) we did beat NCSU twice and they are a tourney team.

2) I might be wrong but I think something similar could have been said about UConn last year and they won the whole thing.

Reactions: Tiger Paul Lives
Pretty sure it’s bball insider. It’s weird.
Bahahahaha. So you think I make accounts to rip on myself? I am the only poster he calls out by name, makes fun of his HS bball team etc.

FWIW, I enjoy Phil’s trolling. It’s hilarious to me, despite him constantly using my name. He’s creative and some of the non racist things he says are pure comic gold

• Haha
Bahahahaha. So you think I make accounts to rip on myself? I am the only poster he calls out by name, makes fun of his HS bball team etc.

FWIW, I enjoy Phil’s trolling. It’s hilarious to me, despite him constantly using my name. He’s creative and some of the non racist things he says are pure comic gold
You say pretty much the same things in the same style and often show up at the same times. Just saying.

The committee just finished a 5 Star brunch and will then progress to surf and turf around 3:00pm. Everything is already set as far as selection of teams and seed lines. They have nothing left to do except practice the interview questions that the media will fire at the committee chairman. I doubt that the Pitt name willl come up in the interviews. But the eye test tells me that they are a tournament team that could win a few games. They will most likely get a chance to prove it in the NIT

I’m one of the few who enjoy your trolling. I have a backbone. But ripping on Capel today shows how little you know. Carry on. I might enjoy your next one.

I'm not sure with his condition that he even knows what he's doing.

The selection committee should be selecting the best teams at the time of the tournament.

If you have a good coach, your team should be peaking as the season moves on. Which means if you are putting an equal weight on early OOC games as the back end of conference play - you simply are missing the point imo.

The early games should matter but not as much as the last 20 and last 10 games. Especially with the amount of roster movement in the game now.

Weightings should be something like: first 1/3rd 20%, second 1/3rd 30%, last 1/3rd 50%.
As much as I’d like Pitt to be in, I disagree vehemently with this. Every game counts the same. Your team needs to be ready to play at the start of the season, and at the end. I don’t care that you missed some guys to injuries, that you can’t figure out your rotation, that you’ve got exams, that a player became a father.

The first game in the NHL season, or the NBA season, or the MLB season counts just as much as the last, and those seasons are as long or longer than Cball.

As much as I’d like Pitt to be in, I disagree vehemently with this. Every game counts the same. Your team needs to be ready to play at the start of the season, and at the end. I don’t care that you missed some guys to injuries, that you can’t figure out your rotation, that you’ve got exams, that a player became a father.

The first game in the NHL season, or the NBA season, or the MLB season counts just as much as the last, and those seasons are as long or longer than Cball.

The NBA, NHL, or other pro sports are not overhauling half their roster every year because of the portal era. That is the entire problem with this. And on top if it, teams like Duke and Kentucky for example or others getting highly ranked freshmen get penalized because they continue to recruit the best 18 year olds in the country and they are going up against 25 year old 6 yr seniors because of this covid nonsense.

Put the old rules back into place. All transfers need to sit a year, which is the way it should be. And the covid extra year garbage needs to be over. It is long, long overdue.

If there was an exhibition season, I think you would have a point but there isn't so the first 1/3rd of the season is and should be viewed as one.

If there was an exhibition season, I think you would have a point but there isn't so the first 1/3rd of the season is and should be viewed as one.

There kind of is an exhibition season in college basketball. You are allowed to play two public exhibitions, or one public exhibition and one closed door exhibition, or two closed door exhibitions. For example, we played a public exhibition against UPJ and a closed door one against Georgetown.

Reactions: Fredact
The NBA, NHL, or other pro sports are not overhauling half their roster every year because of the portal era. That is the entire problem with this. And on top if it, teams like Duke and Kentucky for example or others getting highly ranked freshmen get penalized because they continue to recruit the best 18 year olds in the country and they are going up against 25 year old 6 yr seniors because of this covid nonsense.

Put the old rules back into place. All transfers need to sit a year, which is the way it should be. And the covid extra year garbage needs to be over. It is long, long overdue.
So we’re supposed to throw the 1st 10 games or so of the season out the window because of the portal? We should just call them exhibitions and not tally them in the season record.

So we’re supporting throw the 1st 10 games or so of the season out the window because of the portal? We should just call them exhibitions and not tally them in the season record.

Throw them out, no. Carry less weight than the last 10 games of the season like Jim Boeheim, Bilas, and many many other highly respected coaches and players think, yes.

Ive been consistently saying this long before this year on this board.

Throw them out, no. Carry less weight than the last 10 games of the season like Jim Boeheim, Bilas, and many many other highly respected coaches and players think, yes.

Ive been consistently saying this long before this year on this board.
Next year if we start strong but then stub our toe a few times down the stretch, should we then campaign for considering the whole season equally.

Next year if we start strong but then stub our toe a few times down the stretch, should we then campaign for considering the whole season equally.

No.

There is heavy correlation with respect to teams finishing strong at the end of the season and making deep runs in the NCAA tournament. Ive pointed this out so many times on this board Ive lost count.

Ive pointed this out many times in the past with regard to teams that made the Final 4 recently that finished the season way stronger than their entire body of work, teams like North Carolina or Auburn for example.

Teams that get hot at the end of the last 10 game stretch of the season are frigging dangerous. Need a National Champion example? Uconn 2011 with Kemba Walker who buried 1 seed Pitt in the Big East Tournament and was the Big East Tournament Champion before winning the National Title. And that team finished 9th in the Big East regular season.

Reactions: joeydavid
No.

There is heavy correlation with respect to teams finishing strong at the end of the season and making deep runs in the NCAA tournament. Ive pointed this out so many times on this board Ive lost count.

Ive pointed this out many times in the past with regard to teams that made the Final 4 recently that finished the season way stronger than their entire body of work, teams like North Carolina or Auburn for example.

Teams that get hot at the end of the last 10 game stretch of the season are frigging dangerous. Need a National Champion example? Uconn 2011 with Kemba Walker who buried 1 seed Pitt in the Big East Tournament and was the Big East Tournament Champion before winning the National Title. And that team finished 9th in the Big East regular season.
That’s the same with all sports but for some reason the NCAA committee typically ignores that for looking back at beginning of season.

I was sitting in church actually wondering what would happen to all of our metrics if you only included January on.

2011 UConn, last ten games of the regular season, 5-5.

And they lost their 11th game too, so last 11 games, 5-6.

As I said the other day, teams are hot right up until the moment that they are not. Teams are cold, right up until the moment that they are not. The notion that anyone knows ahead of time when that moment is going to come is silly.

Reactions: Death Star Phil
That’s the same with all sports but for some reason the NCAA committee typically ignores that for looking back at beginning of season.

I was sitting in church actually wondering what would happen to all of our metrics if you only included January on.

Top 20.

As I said the other day, teams are hot right up until the moment that they are not. Teams are cold, right up until the moment that they are not. The notion that anyone knows ahead of time when that moment is going to come is silly.

Seriously?

They beat 4 ranked teams in a row in the Big East Tournament. You know what the seed lines were in the NCAA Tournament of those 4 teams they beat?

1 seed, 3 seed, 4 seed, 6 seed

They also played in the best conference in the history of college basketball with 11 tournament teams in it.

Seriously?

They beat 4 ranked teams in a row in the Big East Tournament. You know what the seed lines were in the NCAA Tournament of those 4 teams they beat?

They also played in the best conference in the history of college basketball with 11 tournament teams in it.

And yet in their last 11 games of the regular season they were 5-6.

It's almost like as if the fact that they were playing relatively poorly at the end of the season didn't stop them from playing well once the post season started.

Seriously?

By the way Joe.

Uconn finished 9th in the Big East regular season. And they got a 3 seed in the national tournament. Obviously, blatantly obviously, the committee took into consideration heavily how they finished the season.

NC State's current "heater" began with about 10 minutes to go in the game 8 days ago at the Pete.

They couldn't complete the comeback against Pitt that night, but that is where they "found themselves".

Now... we get to watch them go to the big party, likely at our expense.

By the way Joe.

Uconn finished 9th in the Big East regular season. And they got a 3 seed in the national tournament. Obviously, blatantly obviously, the committee took into consideration heavily how they finished the season.

Does any of that change the fact that down the stretch of the regular season they were 5-6?

Do you think that adding probably what would be four Q1 wins in today's lingo in the last four days of the season might have had something to do with them getting a three seed, or do you think they were going to get a three seed anyway?

NC State's current "heater" began with about 10 minutes to go in the game 8 days ago at the Pete.

They couldn't complete the comeback against Pitt that night, but that is where they "found themselves".

Now... we get to watch them go to the big party, likely at our expense.

Yep. And the sum total number of people who realized it was about to start before it started is exactly zero.

In fact the number of people who realized that it started after that game was over was still zero.

Does any of that change the fact that down the stretch of the regular season they were 5-6?

Do you think that adding probably what would be four Q1 wins in today's lingo in the last four days of the season might have had something to do with them getting a three seed, or do you think they were going to get a three seed anyway?
Based on that... NC State got three Q1 wins and a Q2 win over the past 4 days. Should they be something like a 7-seed?

No... they're going to be an 11, or even a 12.

2011 UConn was 9-9 in the regular season and 9th-seed in the BE Tourney.
2024 NCSU was 9-11 in the regular season and 10th-seed in the ACC Tourney.

Both won 5 games in 5 days, with two of the wins coming against Top 10 teams (in both rankings and NET).

I say... based on 2011 UConn... that NCSU should be no less than a 6 or 7 seed.

No.

There very well may be that correlation. Sorry, that doesn’t do anything for me to say the 1st 10 games of the season shouldn’t count as much. Only place where I’d consider it is if you’re comparing 2 teams that you consider pretty much equal in all other criteria.

Similar to the CFB playoff debate. I’m definitely not in the ‘best 4 teams’ camp, have always been in the ‘4 most deserving based on their full body of work’ camp.

I seriously dont know why you are not including the Big East Tournament here, that IS part of the last 10 games of their season before the NCAA Tournament. Cherry pick as you like.

btw, if anyone wants to check this, including the Big East Tournament, Uconn was 6-4 in their last 10 games and won their last 5 straight games. They also played, count them now, 5 teams that were ranked in the national top 15 during this stretch, 6 teams in the national top 25, and 9 of their last 10 games were against NCAA Tournament teams. If you want to go back one extra game, they beat top 10 nationally ranked Georgetown.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT