Willy J

Redshirt
Jan 5, 2002
This recruiting class will hurt the program for years down the road

To understand the numbers half these recruits will not make it to

Junior year.

Get the picture

Pitt has nobody to blame but themselves can't keep a coach and Buck up the $$$$

Hope this new Chancellor will see the light.

From Pitt previous Coaches results Nard will not sign quality players from South or Texas

Wanny couldn't do it why would this staff be any different unless your going to buy players.

Now it's so important and will be hard to dominate PA , NJ and Eastern OH with the perception of Pitt

We will be OK, this was going to be a smaller class anyways. What matters is that we were able to get some play makers on D. This just means more opportunity for the underclassmen, which was going to be the case anyways.

huh

But will say unless one has been under a rock for 5 yrs...and didn't watch our bowl it is not too hard to see that this thing is a mess.
No coach would have fixed thing s today.

But he kept the big ONE today...it's time to see where he goes now.

That's ridiculous. We have a young team and this class built up the weakness...defense.

My God get a grip!

The staff sign the first recruit 13 days ago... We all knew this class would be shit. He's trying to keep recruit that he didn't recruit in school. If you ask me I would rather keep Whitehead than not keep Whitehead and have all three guys that flipped.

The staff looks freaking phenomenal they all have high ranking recruiting experience in good resumes! Our team this year on the field will be better because we have our offense intact and we will have a much better defense! Having a better record breeds better recruiting.

The clouds are breaking away and tomorrow will be a sunny day

Lost FOUR years, you mean.

If you are looking for a scapegoat, hang around Heinz Hall on opera night, eventually a carriage will clop by and drop Nordy off

These new coaches may not ultimately work out either, but at least this time an honest effort was made in their hiring, and their subsequent effort to salvage things.

Anyone expecting miracles in 3 weeks after the past 4 years of garbage and incompetence is absurd.

Congrats and thanks to the new recruits!

Did you just wake up? What a news flash. Kennedy was shot in 1963 and the Cold War is over. Anything else you need to be telling us?

?????

Lost year? It seems to me that even though we lost some players, that we signed some that filled needs and have talent. Nobody knows what contributions this class or anyone's will make. Some of our large and presumably talented classes turned out to be overall busts, while others have had big contributors. We cannot claim this recruiting class to be good or bad until they see the field.

The comment about the recruiting class is certainly true...and has been true every time Pitt has made a coaching change. That said, your comment about "bucking up the money" is just plain stupid. Paul Chryst and staff did not leave because of money...they left to return home to their alma mater. Graham really did not leave because of money...and certainly Harris and Wannstedt did not leave because of money. The new administration seems to get it...give them a chance to show it over time. Hail to Pitt!

Not sure people realize we can take 15 not 25 and we have young tea.

We really don't lose a lot of Seniors this year so take a look at mostly everyone ahead of us in rankings and they all have more recruits.

Sure we could have done better but we have a lot of spots where Freshman won't play on day one.

Willy, Have you followed the Pitt program over the last 4-years. I understand that we have had some bad luck with all the coaching changes, recruiting and overall program wins. However why are you being so negative about the new coach and his recruits. He has had here less than 1-month trying to develop relationships with kids and sell the Pitt program. Based on the players he just recruited and got to sign he did a hell of a job. He filled some holes where needed that closed the gap in areas of weakness. When you say what a poor recruiting class what are you comparing it to. Are you just stating the facts and have no confidence in coach PN to turn things around. If you are comparing our class to PSU there is no question we got slammed which is to be expected based on circumstances however remember one big fact. Next year will be a tougher year for PSU to recruit a lot of high ranked kids. They just loaded up with a hugh freshman class of superstars that are all projected to impact the program immediately. A lot of these freshman will play now and not 2-3 years down the road. If I am a hotshot kid in the class of 2016 do I want to go to PSU and sit for 3-years before I get a shot. This is what has happened to Foster at UAB and he may not see the field again next year. Kids today want to play right away and not sit for years waiting their turn. Pitt has a lot of holes to fill and needs better talent that will provide immediate opportunities. IMO the future is bright for Pitt not only from a recruiting stand point but also coaching.

Keep your head up and don't be a basket case.

Do us all a favor and jump to another team.
This post was edited on 2/4 9:24 AM by bigPITThog

Re: Reply

Pretty much what Pittlaw stated.

5 years of constant coaching change, 6-6 records, etc is why we are where we are today.

Originally posted by PITTLAW:
The comment about the recruiting class is certainly true...and has been true every time Pitt has made a coaching change. That said, your comment about "bucking up the money" is just plain stupid. Paul Chryst and staff did not leave because of money...they left to return home to their alma mater. Graham really did not leave because of money...and certainly Harris and Wannstedt did not leave because of money. The new administration seems to get it...give them a chance to show it over time. Hail to Pitt!

And another point PITTLAW made which I've said over and over again myself. This staff deserves time. Having gone through so many changes I'm sure people are tired of hearing that but it's just the way it is.

I guess it's the age of instant gratification for some but that doesn't work with recruiting and relationships.

yeah narduzzi didnt do a great job getting additional recruits but his main job with to protect hall and whitehead which he did.

Expected a smaller class before Narduzzi was hired. so Pitt has averaged three stars as a class for the last four years. Guess what so does this class. This is in line with the caliber of Pitt's recruiting so I don't see any real reason to lament or believe things would significantly improve this recruiting year. The big change is drive, attitude and money. My perspective is Narduzzi has to fix the defense now and build a top defense into the next few years. The OC will have enough horses now to put some points on the board. Narduzzi added a transfer from Tenn at QB, a solid recruit in Ben which will give Pitt it's deepest QB position in years. You have a chancellor who has zero interest in small ball. A new AD whoever that is will be charged to improve the athletic department. Chryst knew what was needed when he arrived and did what was required. Narduzzi now has the kind of depth and upgrade in the coaching staff on defense to turn things around much quicker. How much better the D will be next year I don't know, but they will be better.

Where ya been Willy. Pitt just upped the bucks to bring in a coach a lot of other schools wanted and gave him a bigger budget to bring in a better staff. he hasn't won any games yet because he hasn't played any. Sheeesh!

A little bit fatalistic.

The class was going to suffer with the latest round of Pitt musical coaches. There was never any question about that.

If this recruiting class is the short term price that needed to be paid for upgrading Pitt football, so be it.

It remains to be seen whether we upgraded or not, but Pitt certainly seems to have a new-found commitment to trying to get it right for once. And three straight years of 6-6 shouldn't be too hard to beat. If posters are honest with themselves, the Chryst era has to be considered a bust. Is the program better than when he took over? Arguably, but I'd say it isn't. Maybe more stable, maybe a bit better offensively, but not much better overall.

Disagree, best player in the state, focus on D and some nice talent on offense and a couple transfers.

He brought in two stud LBs, a higher ranked safety then Pertrishen, and a transfer QB, all of which were badly needed. He kept Whitehead and Hall, which is very big.

This post was edited on 2/4 11:13 AM by pittzap

If you look at Rivals, Scout and ESPN and you go by average stars (forget class size--it is meaningless due to the 85 ship ceiling under the 85-25 rule)--You will see that this class (especially when you consider the addition of QB Peterman) is very solidly in the low 40's nationally and middle of the pack ACC quality-wise.

Basically, this is neither a big step backward nor a big step forward.
Given the coaching turnover, it is an excellent result. in the end the
class is as good or better than it would have been had Chryst stayed.

Furhter, average stars wise this is neither better nor worse than Pitt has been doing most years where there was no Coaching turnover. So, this is an excellent result for a year with--

1. Low number of available ships
2. Coaching turnover.

Now, next year expectations should and will be higher with the new staff in place for a full year and a lot more ships available. If next year is still treading water in terms of average stars we will be ranked higher on that basis. But, It won't make me happy unless our average stars go up significantly. Into the 3.3-3.5 range would show real recruiting progress.

A solid winning season in fall 2015 would go a long way toward making such a result possible.

This post was edited on 2/4 11:26 AM by DC_Area_Panther

Originally posted by PITTLAW:
Correctumondo. I know a lot of college coaches in a lot of different sports. They never complain about salary. They complain about facilities, recruiting budgets, academic restrictions, and meddling administrators. And players' parents LOL.

I was with you until you said a lot more scholarships available next year. If you look at the number of kids exhausting their eligibiility next year...it is not a very big opportunity at all. That a few ships were not given this year and will be rolled to next year...I think is great--especially since they did not have any great candidates to accept this year. Hail to Pitt!

Re: I Need An Umbrella & Violin!

Oh, woe is Pitt!
images

images

images

@Pittlaw-- i admit to not studying the roster (it is no longer accurate now in any event.. I was going on the general assumption (ordinarily valid) that about every 4th year the 85 ship limits you but that after that low ship year you usually pop back up into the 20-25 range.

I would expect any player who's is eligible to graduate by August 2016 and isn't going to be on the 2 deep for Fall 2016 will be gone. Also, other players not seen as contributing by fall 2016 will be encouraged to transfer, IMHO. How many ships that will open up for next year's class I don't know but i hope it puts us to at least 20.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT