ADVERTISEMENT

Louisville Game at the Yum & Other Dribbles ...

DT_PITT

Lair Hall of Famer
Gold Member
Jul 17, 2001
** I remember back in January of 2006, the Panthers went to Freedom Hall to defeat the #10 Cards during the Cards first season in the Big East. That win really meant something.

** In the next several years, the Cards stood next to UConn as the Panthers most formidable foe. And wins in Kentucky were always hard to come by. At least we got the better of Cards in Manhattan.

** This trip to the Bluegrass State held no such drama or intrigue. In fact, it’s almost a little depressing to think how hard the Cards have fallen.

** But I suppose many of our opponents would have said the exact same thing about a trip to Oakland and the Pete around 2018, as opposed to about a decade before. But last season proved success can return.

** But this game didn’t so much to lend excitement to the notion that the Panther’s success of last year will be sustained as this year goes on.

** That is, of course, because Louisville proved to be just about as bad as their #220 Kenpom ranking would suggest they are.

** But it was a much needed win. And we did get a few good things from this game.

** The foremost of would be the continued emergence of Jaland Lowe. The freshman guard played a very mature 27 minutes, his high minute mark of the year.

** With Jaland at the point, the Panthers actually executed some nice looking offense and some better ball movement than we’ve seen in an ACC game this year.

** More importantly, it’s hard not to think that Jaland playing the point makes Bub a better player. And what followed was Bub’s most complete outing for quite some time.

** Still, as good as Bub was, Zach’s outing was even more complete. I don’t know what made the difference for Mr. Austin this day. But whatever it was, let’s just hope it sticks around for a while.

** Blake outing wasn’t nearly as complete, but at least he started hitting his shot again as the game when on. That’s the only way the Panthers have a shot at any important success this year.

** I’m having a hard time putting a finger on describing the performance of the Twins. I’m also not sure how much they should be shooting three, and both are now under 30% from deep. They only thing I do know for sure is that Coach Capel needs to convince them they should stop trying to handle the ball like guards.

** Although I am sure the Panthers need a speedy return of Ish to put our best foot forward against the Blue Devils. But with the continued emergence of Jaland, we will have to see if there is a new way the Panthers can fit together.

** So even if this trip to Louisville didn’t really mean anything, hopefully it just might be the start of something.

Jaland’s play was outstanding , he’s becoming comfortable and the staff should be commended for his steady improvement. He needs to start and hopefully bring a healthyIsh off the bench .

Pitt really needs Zack to play at this level ( or at least close to it )

Not only the Twins , but every time Blake drives to the hoop I hold my breath .

I want the twins to let it fly from three , but they seem to hesitate instead of just putting it up . It appears to throw their rhythm off .

It’s funny how much better Pitt looks when their shots go in and that includes FTs .

Much needed win .

Jaland’s play was outstanding , he’s becoming comfortable and the staff should be commended for his steady improvement. He needs to start and hopefully bring a healthyIsh off the bench .

Pitt really needs Zack to play at this level ( or at least close to it )

Not only the Twins , but every time Blake drives to the hoop I hold my breath .

I want the twins to let it fly from three , but they seem to hesitate instead of just putting it up . It appears to throw their rhythm off .

It’s funny how much better Pitt looks when their shots go in and that includes FTs .

Much needed win .

My guess is that this is Zach's high water mark of the year, and playing at this level consistently just is not in him. But he has to give us something like 8-10 points a game instead of the goose egg he layed at the Tar Heels.

Reactions: TWPitt
My guess is that this is Zach's high water mark of the year, and playing at this level consistently just is not in him. But he has to give us something like 8-10 points a game instead of the goose egg he layed at the Tar Heels.
Well, I think 8-10 PPG for Austin is too low a bar if we are going to make any noise in the ACC the rest of the way. 12-15 is where he needs to be.

As for your comment in the Dribbles about the twins, I think we can only hope for what we can get. Period. I doubt they'll perform well if they get pushed around and out-muscled. And I agree they need to stop acting like guards ... unless GDG can make dribble/drive/slam plays multiple times a game! 😀

Well, I think 8-10 PPG for Austin is too low a bar if we are going to make any noise in the ACC the rest of the way. 12-15 is where he needs to be.

As for your comment in the Dribbles about the twins, I think we can only hope for what we can get. Period. I doubt they'll perform well if they get pushed around and out-muscled. And I agree they need to stop acting like guards ... unless GDG can make dribble/drive/slam plays multiple times a game! 😀
Unfortunately, there’s probably no way at all Zack averages 12-15 the rest of the way.

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn
Unfortunately, there’s probably no way at all Zack averages 12-15 the rest of the way.
Yeah that seems out of reach, probably an anomaly yesterday.
I’d like more defense and rebounding from him .
He was getting cooked on defense against a really bad team
Yeah his defense is more important for him. Made a couple splash plays but struggled in 1/2 court. If he could get a couple steals could contribute to getting to 10 a game.

Not part of the replies, but Lowe is a difference maker in how the “offense” is run. Definitely a lot less reliance on 1 on 1 playmaking when he is in. The benefit of recruiting a true 1 instead of always trying to have combo’s play the 1. Let’s hope we find some magic against Duke and get back in range where an NCAAT appearance is possible.

I don’t know which is scarier: When the twins take the 3-pointer from 28 feet; or when they fake it and pretend they are Allen Iverson going to the hoop.

I do know that neither is a good thing.
Statistically, Guillermo is actually the 2nd best 3 pt shooter on the team (35.1%). Not sure that’s a good thing either seeing as all the others besides Blake who get more minutes have been worse, but I’m not nearly as bothered by him putting up a 3 as I am by all the sloppy ball handling and turnovers.

Not getting Joe Girard really sucked.

Statistically, Guillermo is actually the 2nd best 3 pt shooter on the team (35.1%). Not sure that’s a good thing either seeing as all the others besides Blake who get more minutes have been worse, but I’m not nearly as bothered by him putting up a 3 as I am by all the sloppy ball handling and turnovers.

Not getting Joe Girard really sucked.
I’m not sure what I was looking at/adding up to get GDiaz under 30%. But 35% is a really solid number.

I’m not sure what I was looking at/adding up to get GDiaz under 30%. But 35% is a really solid number.
I usually go off sports-reference when it comes to stats. Austin, Bub, Ish and Jorge are all hovering around 30, albeit with varying attempts of course.

Reactions: MarshallGoldberg
Just being able to hit a wide open 3 at a reasonable clip is all that’s needed from him to elevate his game to were Pitt needs it to be .

I usually go off sports-reference when it comes to stats. Austin, Bub, Ish and Jorge are all hovering around 30, albeit with varying attempts of course.
That’s what I usually look at also.

** I remember back in January of 2006, the Panthers went to Freedom Hall to defeat the #10 Cards during the Cards first season in the Big East. That win really meant something.

** In the next several years, the Cards stood next to UConn as the Panthers most formidable foe. And wins in Kentucky were always hard to come by. At least we got the better of Cards in Manhattan.

** This trip to the Bluegrass State held no such drama or intrigue. In fact, it’s almost a little depressing to think how hard the Cards have fallen.

** But I suppose many of our opponents would have said the exact same thing about a trip to Oakland and the Pete around 2018, as opposed to about a decade before. But last season proved success can return.

** But this game didn’t so much to lend excitement to the notion that the Panther’s success of last year will be sustained as this year goes on.

** That is, of course, because Louisville proved to be just about as bad as their #220 Kenpom ranking would suggest they are.

** But it was a much needed win. And we did get a few good things from this game.

** The foremost of would be the continued emergence of Jaland Lowe. The freshman guard played a very mature 27 minutes, his high minute mark of the year.

** With Jaland at the point, the Panthers actually executed some nice looking offense and some better ball movement than we’ve seen in an ACC game this year.

** More importantly, it’s hard not to think that Jaland playing the point makes Bub a better player. And what followed was Bub’s most complete outing for quite some time.

** Still, as good as Bub was, Zach’s outing was even more complete. I don’t know what made the difference for Mr. Austin this day. But whatever it was, let’s just hope it sticks around for a while.

** Blake outing wasn’t nearly as complete, but at least he started hitting his shot again as the game when on. That’s the only way the Panthers have a shot at any important success this year.

** I’m having a hard time putting a finger on describing the performance of the Twins. I’m also not sure how much they should be shooting three, and both are now under 30% from deep. They only thing I do know for sure is that Coach Capel needs to convince them they should stop trying to handle the ball like guards.

** Although I am sure the Panthers need a speedy return of Ish to put our best foot forward against the Blue Devils. But with the continued emergence of Jaland, we will have to see if there is a new way the Panthers can fit together.

** So even if this trip to Louisville didn’t really mean anything, hopefully it just might be the start of something.
I don’t know if you realize this but I would say since they came to the team the players you are routinely most critical of are the DG bros. It’s not always a sledgehammer but you just don’t seem to like them as much as other Panthers from today and in history. Peculiar.

Not a mention of the FT shooting yesterday? You’re slipping 😂

I don’t know if you realize this but I would say since they came to the team the players you are routinely most critical of are the DG bros. It’s not always a sledgehammer but you just don’t seem to like them as much as other Panthers from today and in history. Peculiar.
I do realize it. I’ve said several times before that I’m not quite as high on them as many on the Lair. I don’t believe that’s peculiar- just something of a different take. For example, some think they have NBA potential but I don’t see it that high.

I also don’t see them as higher end ACC starters. But GDiaz absolutely has been our best option at the five.

They are both important players and were certainly both big contributors to yesterday’s win.

Not a mention of the FT shooting yesterday? You’re slipping 😂
I am slipping because I intended to mention it but forgot to do so. What I would have said is something along the lines of I don’t missing a foul shot is quite as big of a deal as some but it’s pretty nice when you do make almost all of them.

I do realize it. I’ve said several times before that I’m not quite as high on them as many on the Lair. I don’t believe that’s peculiar- just something of a different take. For example, some think they have NBA potential but I don’t see it that high.

They are both important players and were certainly both big contributors to yesterday’s win.
I would say you are harder on them than players of equal skill. That’s what is peculiar.

Reactions: FireballZ
I would say you are harder on them than players of equal skill. That’s what is peculiar.
I’m not sure what you mean. I think I speak of them somewhat similar as I do of Zach who offers similar production.

I mean, what’s he supposed to say? They’re ok players. They’re getting better but they’re not some all stars? I treats them pretty fairly imo

Reactions: Bethlehemjohn

-I could care less if Louisville continues to suck!
-It was a win and we were I control from start to finish.
-Our defense was not good enough today. Part of the reason for that was that we didn’t have Ish.
-Jaland continues to get better and better. I like the 3 guard set, but we can only use it every so often in a game.
-We don’t need Zack to do this all the time, but a consistent 10-12 would be huge for this team.
-I’d rather have the twins shoot than put it on the floor. I get scared every time they try to dribble through the defense.
-If Ish can play on Tuesday, we will beat Duke!

Reactions: Pitt5593

I also don’t see them as higher end ACC starters. But GDiaz absolutely has been our best option at the five.

And you wound be right, I don’t see them as NBA players either.

If we shot foul shots all year like we did yesterday, we would have probably have at least one more win on the season, right?

Yeah, probably.

Of course no one, literally no one, shoots foul shots for the whole season the way that we did yesterday.

If we shot foul shots all year like we did yesterday, we would have probably have at least one more win on the season, right?
Yes, one more win. If we shot 90.5% from the free throw line every game it would have changed the outcome at Syracuse, where you go dramatically up from 45%. Everything else is still a loss, a closer loss (down to a one-point loss to Clemson), but still a loss at 90.5% FT shooting.

Reactions: Upg bobcat
Yes, one more win. If we shot 90.5% from the free throw line every game it would have changed the outcome at Syracuse, where you go dramatically up from 45%. Everything else is still a loss, a closer loss (down to a one-point loss to Clemson), but still a loss at 90.5% FT shooting.
Likely...but, that doesn't consider the front-end of 1 and 1's missed.

-I could care less if Louisville continues to suck!
-It was a win and we were I control from start to finish.
-Our defense was not good enough today. Part of the reason for that was that we didn’t have Ish.
-Jaland continues to get better and better. I like the 3 guard set, but we can only use it every so often in a game.
-We don’t need Zack to do this all the time, but a consistent 10-12 would be huge for this team.
-I’d rather have the twins shoot than put it on the floor. I get scared every time they try to dribble through the defense.
-If Ish can play on Tuesday, we will beat Duke!
That last item is critical. Without Ish. Pitt is razor thin at G.

When Lowe got into foul trouble at Louisville, Pitt had to play with just 1 guy (Bub) on the floor capable of handling the ball, or putting it on the floor.

against a team like Duke that could be devastating. Really need that third guard available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT