ADVERTISEMENT

Luke Pletcher considering Pitt

You bet.

I think PSU has a good lead on Chad Red so I think that Pletcher is more and more likely to not end up there. I also am of the personal opinion that Ohio State is trying to go after Hall and Spencer Lee, so having money there for Pletcher won't work.

I think it's a really good chance it's Pitt or Va Tech

You bet.

I think PSU has a good lead on Chad Red so I think that Pletcher is more and more likely to not end up there. I also am of the personal opinion that Ohio State is trying to go after Hall and Spencer Lee, so having money there for Pletcher won't work.

I think it's a really good chance it's Pitt or Va Tech[/QUOT
What's your predication now

That sucks that Pitt wasn't able to get a wrestler of Pletchers caliber, who is in their own back yard, to stay home.

Good luck to him.

That sucks that Pitt wasn't able to get a wrestler of Pletchers caliber, who is in their own back yard, to stay home.

Good luck to him.
Got to start winning these battles. No excuse for Pitt not being a top 10 wrestling program. In fact, with the talent in a 40 mile radius of Pittsburgh, top 5 is doable.

Reactions: papride1
You bet.

Phillipi
You bet.

PSU wants Phillippi out of Derry Area.

33 for what weight You should have a least a clue before posting
Not sure what your talking about? Cael wants Phillippi and they are recruiting him at 33-41. My guess, after a red-shirt, Mick will be a 41lber..

Think Micky will wrestle 138, so I think he will be a 141.

Hawk talk Where are you thinking now?

And I guess my bad on Pletcher - but back in June when I did this interview I had someone tell me that Pitt was very much in play. I never came out and made a prediction, but I was pretty confident he wasn't going to PSU and I didn't think Ohio State would have the money. I guess I was half wrong. I don't recall you spilling the beans where your nephew was going, so I was making a guess based off some assumptions I made. I think he will be a great fit for the Buckeyes and wish him the best of luck.

Think Micky will wrestle 138, so I think he will be a 141.

And I guess my bad on Pletcher - but back in June when I did this interview I had someone tell me that Pitt was very much in play. I never came out and made a prediction, but I was pretty confident he wasn't going to PSU and I didn't think Ohio State would have the money. I guess I was half wrong. I don't recall you spilling the beans where your nephew was going, so I was making a guess based off some assumptions I made. I think he will be a great fit for the Buckeyes and wish him the best of luck.
Lol. Could never speak to where he was going thought PSU until last week. As big of Pitt fan as I am and especially coach Pete I will be proud to wear scarlet and grey lol told luke I don't think my body could handle anything Penn St. I was just busting on ya everywhere I went I kept hearing where he was going and not going.

pletch5, you might be a fan of Peters, but you have to admit his recruiting has been horrible for two years, and is off to a terrible start this year.

Losing your son (for those who don't know it, pletch5 is Luke Pletcher's dad) now means Peters is 0 for 6 with WPIAL wrestlers ranked in the top 5 nationally at their weights in the last two classes. And, we all know they have no shot at Spencer Lee or the other young Franklin Regional kid. They have lost only one of those to PSU (Joseph), one to Iowa and one now to tOSU. But, losing all of those kids -- and losing three highly-ranked kids to Virginia, NC State and Arizona State simply is unacceptable. I see where one of Luke's teammates, although not as highly-ranked, has committed to UVA as well.

NC State has four verbals for 2016, all ranked in the top 100 overall nationally -- and 2 ranked in the top 25 by Intermat. NC State? It just shows what happens when you hire a coach who can recruit. NC State's coach was the coach at Binghampton and managed to recruit an NCAA heavyweight champion to that school (who transferred to NC State when the coach went there). They also had a true freshman make it to the NCAA finals last year. UVA has 3 verbals, one ranked in the top 100 and 2 just outside the top 100. Pitt? No verbals. Thank goodness Duke has a wrestling team because they are the only ACC school Pitt has outrecruited recently.

If you can't recruit the WPIAL and surrounding areas successfully, then you can't be the wrestling coach at Pitt. End of story. If Barnes doesn't fire Peters after this year, he will be just like SP -- an AD who doesn't give a damn about wrestling.

You realize that we have Jake Wentzel and Austin Bell committed for next year right.

Pete is a great man and recruiter. Location is so important and facts are facts most wrestlers aren't big city kids if given choice would rather not be in the city. That's a huge part if you want to believe it or not. But given that Pitt has some great kids coming in and will be a very good if not great program. If football was ranked year in year out like wrestling we would be estatic. Give Pete a chance and reasonable expectations and we all will happy. And lastly I'm Luke's uncle not his dad Luke or his dad would never go on a message board.

Pete is a great man and recruiter. Location is so important and facts are facts most wrestlers aren't big city kids if given choice would rather not be in the city. That's a huge part if you want to believe it or not. But given that Pitt has some great kids coming in and will be a very good if not great program. If football was ranked year in year out like wrestling we would be estatic. Give Pete a chance and reasonable expectations and we all will happy. And lastly I'm Luke's uncle not his dad Luke or his dad would never go on a message board.

Because Ohio St. isn't in a city that is comparable to Pittsburgh size wise.

No not really. Columbus metro area 822,000. Pittsburgh 2.3 million. And campus is much different lots of green areas. And our hunting camp is 30 minutes away

No not really. Columbus metro area 822,000. Pittsburgh 2.3 million. And campus is much different lots of green areas. And our hunting camp is 30 minutes away

The Columbus metro area has 1,967,066 people. The Columbus CSA has 2,348,495 people. Columbus is smaller than Pittsburgh, but not by that much.

Reactions: bobfree
If football was ranked year in year out like wrestling we would be estatic.

If there were as few big time football schools as there are big time wrestling schools and Pitt performed exactly the same in football as they do currently in wrestling people would be even more disappointed with football than they are with wrestling.

Being in the top 20 in wrestling is not comparable to being in the top 20 in football. So many schools have given up wrestling due to Title 9 concerns that Pitt should always be in the top 20. In fact, IMO, with a top-notch coach, Pitt would always be in the top 10. You can recruit a top 10 team without driving farther than you can get on one tank of gas from Oakland. The highest number of great HS wrestlers in the country are in PA, NJ and Ohio, with an occasional few in NY and MD. Missing out on every WPIAL kid rated in the top 5 nationally in his weight class (and Wentzel is not) is inexcusable -- especially when only one of those kids went to PSU.

This year, NC State already has 4 commits from top 100 national recruits -- 2 in the top 25. That is NC State, a school with ZERO national wrestling reputation. I don't care if Peters is the greatest guy since Jesus Christ. His last two recruiting classes have been terrible because he has missed out on all of the big local names. And, this year is following the same sad scenario. Sometimes, nice guys do finish last. And, those kinds of nice guys can't be the wrestling coach at Pitt.

Being in the top 20 in wrestling is not comparable to being in the top 20 in football. So many schools have given up wrestling due to Title 9 concerns that Pitt should always be in the top 20. In fact, IMO, with a top-notch coach, Pitt would always be in the top 10. You can recruit a top 10 team without driving farther than you can get on one tank of gas from Oakland. The highest number of great HS wrestlers in the country are in PA, NJ and Ohio, with an occasional few in NY and MD. Missing out on every WPIAL kid rated in the top 5 nationally in his weight class (and Wentzel is not) is inexcusable -- especially when only one of those kids went to PSU.

This year, NC State already has 4 commits from top 100 national recruits -- 2 in the top 25. That is NC State, a school with ZERO national wrestling reputation. I don't care if Peters is the greatest guy since Jesus Christ. His last two recruiting classes have been terrible because he has missed out on all of the big local names. And, this year is following the same sad scenario. Sometimes, nice guys do finish last. And, those kinds of nice guys can't be the wrestling coach at Pitt.[/QUOTE

We have two top 100 recruits for next year already and money permitting will likely end up with four. Mike412 I'm starting to think coach Peters either stole your girlfriend or beat you up and stole your lunch money with your constant whining about him.

We have two top 100 recruits for next year already and money permitting will likely end up with four. Mike412 I'm starting to think coach Peters either stole your girlfriend or beat you up and stole your lunch money with your constant whining about him.

Peters missed out on every single top recruit from one of the greatest classes of WPIAL wrestlers in a very long time. He deserves to be questioned on how well he can recruit.

A class that Pletcher isn't even a part of. I side with you to the extent that there are some misses that hurt - including Pletcher - but I feel confident about Campbell becoming one of the best of the class you're talking about.

Additionally, VAB was way out front on the Rahmani recruitment, so if he's heard about other talented kids being interested, I'm buying.

I personally hope one them is the Moore kid from St. Paris.

Sing, Moore is a good wrestler. I've seen him wrestle a few matches on Flo but not live. He is a quality guy. He also has a little brother that is very good. He has been on campus before and will be again soon.
A class that Pletcher isn't even a part of. I side with you to the extent that there are some misses that hurt - including Pletcher - but I feel confident about Campbell becoming one of the best of the class you're talking about.

Additionally, VAB was way out front on the Rahmani recruitment, so if he's heard about other talented kids being interested, I'm buying.

I've always liked Campbell. I think he would have been another one of those top guys in the WPIAL had he had a better Jr season (I thought he was cutting too much weight and his endurance and strength suffered). However, he should not be your top recruit. I really think he can be a great college wrestler with some quality practice partners (which he didn't have at PH). But again, with all of the guys wrestling within 25 miles of campus, they need to do better. A LOT better.

I don't expect them to compete with Cael. He's just got too much going for him. He's going to get the vast majority of the guys he wants. But they should not be losing WPIAL kids to UVA, VT, and the other ACC schools.

It's nice there are guys interested, but he need to finish. Everyone expected Pletcher to come here and he's gone now. Being in the running isn't good enough.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT