ADVERTISEMENT

Recruiting Article Malone makes an early morning call to Pitt

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
On Saturday night, Nick Malone knew where he wanted to go to college.

“Last night, I told Coach (Dave) Borbely that I felt like I was ready,” Malone told Panther-Lair.com Sunday afternoon. “He said it was kind of late and to call in the morning after the team meeting so I could talk to Coach (Pat) Narduzzi.

“So I did and I gave them the news.”

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/malone-makes-an-early-morning-call-to-pitt

On Saturday night, Nick Malone knew where he wanted to go to college.

“Last night, I told Coach (Dave) Borbely that I felt like I was ready,” Malone told Panther-Lair.com Sunday afternoon. “He said it was kind of late and to call in the morning after the team meeting so I could talk to Coach (Pat) Narduzzi. Stand by for a good deal of screaming and panic with another commit with only 1 P5 offer and that was Pitt. Running out of scholarships and no 4 star OL commits.

“So I did and I gave them the news.”

https://pittsburgh.rivals.com/news/malone-makes-an-early-morning-call-to-pitt

Reactions: Jpripper88
The kid is 6-6 280lbs, ran in the 5.2 to 5.3 range, and impressed the staff at Camp. I am not going to make any predictions on whether or not this kid will succeed, but there is a lot to work with. Our last OL to get drafted early was O’Neill, and his offer sheet was terrible.

The kid is 6-6 280lbs, ran in the 5.2 to 5.3 range, and impressed the staff at Camp. I am not going to make any predictions on whether or not this kid will succeed, but there is a lot to work with. Our last OL to get drafted early was O’Neill, and his offer sheet was terrible.
Hold on one second...how dare you challenge the infinite wisdom and talent evaluation of SMF? Any person with a handle such as that is obviously using it to mask his brilliance.

Hold on one second...how dare you challenge the infinite wisdom and talent evaluation of SMF? Any person with a handle such as that is obviously using it to mask his brilliance.
The question that I ask is how does the Jenkins kid that ended up at PSU get 5 stars preseason and a lot of offers based on potential when he was dominated in HS by kids that were D2 or D3 his Jr. year. This Malone kid also has potential but no other D1 offers and isn’t rated. I am very curious to see how Malone does on the field this year. That will speak volumes.

It's weird that people think others are deferring to their talent evaluation skills when they aren't too thrilled with a commit. When of course they are actually deferring to the talent evaluation skills of the recruiting networks that are incredibly accurate, and every other P5 football program that decided not to offer.
You can disagree with the talent evaluation skills of those groups, but it's those groups, and not our own talent evaluation skills, that people are relying on.

You forgot to mention that he can dunk a basketball as well...

The question that I ask is how does the Jenkins kid that ended up at PSU get 5 stars preseason and a lot of offers based on potential when he was dominated in HS by kids that were D2 or D3 his Jr. year. This Malone kid also has potential but no other D1 offers and isn’t rated. I am very curious to see how Malone does on the field this year. That will speak volumes.

He wasn't rated because the services like Rivals don't bother to review and rate rate every player--there are too many HS players for that to be possible.

Just worried he camped at WVU and Rutgers and didn’t get a offer.

Reactions: PittSquared
Somehow Jimmy Morrissey beat out all of those great oline recruits Chryst bought in. Enough said.
Pinkston, Malecki, Thomas, Nix, Rotherham, Clemmons, Jacobson, Biz, D Johnson, Bookster, Officer, JJ Smith.

Other than being our best lineman over the years. What do they all have in common?

They all had a very good offer sheet. Which throws out the idea lineman are the hardest to evaluate.

Half of that list were recruited at Dline.

Pinkston, Malecki, Thomas, Nix, Rotherham, Clemmons, Jacobson, Biz, D Johnson, Bookster, Officer, JJ Smith.

Other than being our best lineman over the years. What do they all have in common?

They all had a very good offer sheet. Which throws out the idea lineman are the hardest to evaluate.

Half of that list were recruited at Dline.
Come on man!

Don’t try and spin it! How is 2 outa 12 half lol

Malecki and Clemmons were the only two. But what does that matter anyway. They both were highly sought after prospects that made their mark on the offensive line. Regardless where they started

Yeah, not half but Pinkston, Malecki, Clemmons were recruited for the dline. Bookser was an either or recruit.

The 1st 3 were much like O'Neill- they were all made into successes on the Oline.

Jacobson was highly rated but didn't have many offers. Not sure Officer, JJS and a few others were highly coveted coming out of high school.

Come on man!

Don’t try and spin it! How is 2 outa 12 half lol

Malecki and Clemmons were the only two. But what does that matter anyway. They both were highly sought after prospects that made their mark on the offensive line. Regardless where they started

It's weird that people think others are deferring to their talent evaluation skills when they aren't too thrilled with a commit. When of course they are actually deferring to the talent evaluation skills of the recruiting networks that are incredibly accurate, and every other P5 football program that decided not to offer.
You can disagree with the talent evaluation skills of those groups, but it's those groups, and not our own talent evaluation skills, that people are relying on.
Are you a mind reader or their ghost writer?
Weird indeed.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT