ADVERTISEMENT

Messi/Miami 2024

Sean Miller Fan

Lair Hall of Famer
Oct 30, 2001
Played a really unusual friendly against the El Salvador national team.....in San Salvador. I've never heard of a club playing a national team. And when I saw this on the schedule, I assumed it would be in Miami. It makes me wonder how much El Salvador paid to get this game at their place and who the eff paid it? The government? A druglord? The game ended 0-0. Messi, Suarez and Co. played the 1st Half. Saw some highlights and it totally looked like a Miami home game. Crowd was all black and pink.

They have a friendly Monday in the Cotton Bowl against Dallas and then its off to Medieval Times to play Al-Hilal and Al-Nasr. Hoping those games will be on FS1 or FS2

A couple years back the NY Cosmos, in the NASL, not the original, the one that played like 10 years ago, played the Cuban National Team in Havana.

Lost 6-0. Ronaldo didnt play. Mane is at AFCON. Miami was missing 3 of their 4 defensive starters plus others like Cremaschi and guys away at CONMEBOL Olympic qualifying. Miami looked like a rec team. Not sure Messi played. He wasnt it when I turned it off. An Al-Nassr player scored a free kick from 5-10 yards past midfield. We've all seen goals from midfield during the run of play when a keeper is off his line but I've never seen a free kick from that far away.

Inter Miami is in talks to sign Fernando Redondo, one of the better young players in the Argentine league and whose dad played for Real Madrid. The number I saw was $8 million which is a lot for MLS

Argentina's games in March have been moved from Hong Kong to the US. They're playing in LA and on March 22 in Philly and it's anticipated that Messi will leave Inter to play in those games

I think this might be Messi’s final season. The pressure on him is just immense. Miami wants him in the lineup every game because people bought their tickets in anticipation of seeing him play. Argentina wants him because they are booking venues they couldn’t have gotten if not for him.

Cesc Fabregas has a podcast (in 3 different languages no less) and hinted at that possibility. I got the impression that a lot of the info came from his wife through Messi’s wife.

Back when they all lived in Castelldefels right outside of Barcelona, Cesc’s wife was best friends with Messi’s and Suarez’ wives, and the undisputed leader of the three and I think she probably still is.

I think this might be Messi’s final season. The pressure on him is just immense. Miami wants him in the lineup every game because people bought their tickets in anticipation of seeing him play. Argentina wants him because they are booking venues they couldn’t have gotten if not for him.

Cesc Fabregas has a podcast (in 3 different languages no less) and hinted at that possibility. I got the impression that a lot of the info came from his wife through Messi’s wife.

Back when they all lived in Castelldefels right outside of Barcelona, Cesc’s wife was best friends with Messi’s and Suarez’ wives, and the undisputed leader of the three and I think she probably still is.
Messi has another year left on his Miami contract after this year but who knows. It all depends on how he wants to end his career. He's talked about playing for Newell's but I'm guessing that'll end up being a testimonial. Some think he will stick around for the next World Cup.

Messi has another year left on his Miami contract after this year but who knows. It all depends on how he wants to end his career. He's talked about playing for Newell's but I'm guessing that'll end up being a testimonial. Some think he will stick around for the next World Cup.

He's absolutely going to play in the next World Cup. Its in 2 years. Its too close. He plays this year. Next year. Then he probably does the 2026 season which is perfect because he gets Dec, Jan, Feb off (lets say he starts the season a little late) and then is fresh for Mar, April, May then the WC Jun/July then finish off with Miami Jul-Dec and then maybe Jan-May with Newell's.

he gets Dec, Jan, Feb off (lets say he starts the season a little late) and then is fresh for Mar, April, May then the WC Jun/July then finish off with Miami Jul-Dec and then maybe Jan-May with Newell's.

Or he just retires at the end of the World Cup and doesn't play for Miami afterwards.

Or he just retires at the end of the World Cup and doesn't play for Miami afterwards.

Possibly but I think he stays with Miami until that December. That 2026 WC works out so well for him in MLS because he should be well rested. Anywhere else, its at the end of a grueling season. The other scenario is he does his 2.5 at Miami and then goes to Newell's Boys in late winter 2026 and then retires at end of WC.

What do you guys think of this? Was talking to a friend of mine and he never heard of Messi, Ronaldo, or Pulisic. This guy is a huge sports fan. College basketball, college football, NFL, MLB, some NBA/NHL. He obviously isn't a soccer fan but can you be that big of a sports fan and go through life never hearing those names? I'll also say he isnt some anti-soccer guy. He played soccer when he was younger but doesnt follow the sport. Like I dont watch the NHL at all but if you named some stars, I will have heard of them somehow.

What do you guys think of this? Was talking to a friend of mine and he never heard of Messi, Ronaldo, or Pulisic. This guy is a huge sports fan. College basketball, college football, NFL, MLB, some NBA/NHL. He obviously isn't a soccer fan but can you be that big of a sports fan and go through life never hearing those names? I'll also say he isnt some anti-soccer guy. He played soccer when he was younger but doesnt follow the sport. Like I dont watch the NHL at all but if you named some stars, I will have heard of them somehow.
Kind of weird, but I only know a handful of NHL players who aren't Penguins, maybe could name only a handful of MLB players, when you absolutely never watch something, you just don't care. But to not know Messi you must never even read or watch any Sports news at all.

Well I don’t follow the NBA. Like at all. So there are plenty of household names who I’ve probably never heard of. Like I don’t even know that Yiannis dudes last name. Couldn’t begin to tell you. But I do know who Lebron is, and he’s the equivalent to Messi, so I find it hard to believe your friend didn’t know who Messi is.

As far as Pulisic, he’s just not a household name. Like at all. I remember last year having a conversation with Ski on these boards and he had never heard of him.

Speaking of Messi, CR7 just got suspended and fined by the Saudi league. He was being taunted by some fans and reacted with a gesture that apparently is obscene in Saudi Arabia.

The taunt: The fans were yelling “Messi, Messi.”
That’s all it took to trigger him.

• Haha
Reactions: Fk_Pitt
As far as Pulisic, he’s just not a household name. Like at all. I remember last year having a conversation with Ski on these boards and he had never heard of him.
You'd have to specifically be a fan of USAMNT Soccer to know him, he's not really more than some average dude in the leagues he plays in.

You'd have to specifically be a fan of USAMNT Soccer to know him, he's not really more than some average dude in the leagues he plays in.
He’s currently rated as the best player at AC Milan, which is on one of the biggest and most historic clubs in the world…that currently sits 1 point out of 2nd place in arguably the #2 league in the world.

Well I don’t follow the NBA. Like at all. So there are plenty of household names who I’ve probably never heard of. Like I don’t even know that Yiannis dudes last name. Couldn’t begin to tell you. But I do know who Lebron is, and he’s the equivalent to Messi, so I find it hard to believe your friend didn’t know who Messi is.

I just dont know how you can be a big sports fan and never hear of Messi or Ronaldo. At some point, you have to be watching an NFL or NBA game or whatever and you see a commercial or in-game promo or you see a highlight on SportsCenter. I mean I have heard of the top golfers, NASCAR drivers, NHL players, UFC guys, etc. Its like impossible not to if you follow sports.

He’s currently rated as the best player at AC Milan, which is on one of the biggest and most historic clubs in the world…that currently sits 1 point out of 2nd place in arguably the #2 league in the world.
There you go and I am somewhat of a soccer fan and know nothing about the Italian League and very little about the EPL

Don’t agree. I never liked soccer or watched until a couple years ago and even I know who CP was. He’s certainly nowhere near that level but I absolutely know of him.

Reactions: Fk_Pitt
Don’t agree. I never liked soccer or watched until a couple years ago and even I know who CP was. He’s certainly nowhere near that level but I absolutely know of him.

I think all American sports fans should know who Pulisic is because he gets enough pub here. I would even say he's the 3rd most recongizable soccer player in the US behind Messi and Ronaldo

I think all American sports fans should know who Pulisic is because he gets enough pub here. I would even say he's the 3rd most recongizable soccer player in the US behind Messi and Ronaldo
Unless you include the retired dirtbag with the pink hair. She’s top 3 I would think. Probably top 2.

It was amazing how long Freddy Adu's fame lasted among the general US public, even longer than his career maybe. Hype machine on him was so strong.

Unless you include the retired dirtbag with the pink hair. She’s top 3 I would think. Probably top 2.

That's interesting. Actually, I dont think Rapinoe is as well known as you think she as by typical American sports fans. Part of that is because the women's team doesn't "sell" its stars. Its the group. Strangely, I think she is much more well known by the Fox News crowd, many of whom arent sports fans necessarily. So I guess you may be right that she is more well known to Americans than Pulisic but not American sports fans. Like, your typical American sports fan who doesnt watch far-right cable news, I doubt many can name her. Some may say, "that one who kneeled" or "the one with the pink hair" but I doubt many know her name.

That's interesting. Actually, I dont think Rapinoe is as well known as you think she as by typical American sports fans. Part of that is because the women's team doesn't "sell" its stars. Its the group. Strangely, I think she is much more well known by the Fox News crowd, many of whom arent sports fans necessarily. So I guess you may be right that she is more well known to Americans than Pulisic but not American sports fans. Like, your typical American sports fan who doesnt watch far-right cable news, I doubt many can name her. Some may say, "that one who kneeled" or "the one with the pink hair" but I doubt many know her name.

Can I preemptively request that this not turn into a WNT/politics discussion? I enjoy the actual soccer discussion.

I think the politics have increased her visibility. That can’t be denied. But it goes both ways. It’s not just far right. Espn put her front and center at the espys and all over tv and the internet. So did Sports Illustrated, Time, Newsweek, Every tv network, and every other major publication. She’s been to the White House numerous times. She’s been to Capitol Hill. You saw her at the Grammys, at the Oscar’s, Emmys, you name it. She’s been everywhere. Pulisic none of those places.

But america loves a winner and those USWNTs won a lot and people paid attention. Maybe it’s me in my soccer bubble and I acknowledge that, but rapinoe was all over every network morning show, every evening show, every late night show, etc, etc. I think everyone has heard her name. I can’t say that about Pulisic. Take my Ski example above, he had no idea who CP10 was during the World Cup last year. But he absolutely knows who rapinoe is. And probably Abby Wambach, Carly Lloyd and Alex Morgan too. But Rapinoe was the most visible of all of them.

I think the politics have increased her visibility. That can’t be denied. But it goes both ways. It’s not just far right. Espn put her front and center at the espys and all over tv and the internet. So did Sports Illustrated, Time, Newsweek, Every tv network, and every other major publication. She’s been to the White House numerous times. She’s been to Capitol Hill. You saw her at the Grammys, at the Oscar’s, Emmys, you name it. She’s been everywhere. Pulisic none of those places.

But america loves a winner and those USWNTs won a lot and people paid attention. Maybe it’s me in my soccer bubble and I acknowledge that, but rapinoe was all over every network morning show, every evening show, every late night show, etc, etc. I think everyone has heard her name. I can’t say that about Pulisic. Take my Ski example above, he had no idea who CP10 was during the World Cup last year. But he absolutely knows who rapinoe is. And probably Abby Wambach, Carly Lloyd and Alex Morgan too. But Rapinoe was the most visible of all of them.

You might be right. I think Rapinoe is probably more visible to non-sports fans because of her appearances on the shows you mentioned. As for sports fans, I'm not sure she is. I dont think she's featured by ESPN as much as you think. I think no matter where you go in America, if you asked people to name an American soccer player, people would have a hard time naming her name.

I wonder if more people know Caitlin Clark?

You might be right. I think Rapinoe is probably more visible to non-sports fans because of her appearances on the shows you mentioned. As for sports fans, I'm not sure she is. I dont think she's featured by ESPN as much as you think. I think no matter where you go in America, if you asked people to name an American soccer player, people would have a hard time naming her name.

I wonder if more people know Caitlin Clark?
Well I don’t think she’s discussed on Fox as much as you think, other than when they shamelessly plug their other networks content. But conservative twittersphere certainly knows her pretty well.

I just was amazed over the past two women’s world cups, where if you watched a match in a public venue, you had every freaky looking weirdo cheering for her as though she was the second coming. Now, prior to that, she was a top player so her play called for lots of love. But the last World Cup she was a scrub and the one before that was the designated penalty taker and a role player.

But I’m biased because of my life in the soccer community. I just can’t think of a female athlete more recognizable this century than Rapinoe. Clark is gaining ground because of what she’s done over the past 12 months. Olympic skaters and gymnasts come and go…but I still think it’s rapinoe handily. Unless I’m forgetting someone.

Average sports fan, 90% would know Rapinoe. 50% Pulisic.

Average American, 65% rapinoe, and 10% Pulisic.

Just my opinion.

Sabrina Williams not pleased.
Back to Serena, I think if you had a list of recognizable US Womens athletes by polling Americans, the list would look far different the a list polled from people around the world. My point is that tennis is so much bigger around the world than it is in the US so Serena would be one of the biggest athletes on the planet according to people around the planet.

But Serena is so big that even in America everyone knows who she is.

I'd add Simone Biles too. Lots of gymnastics fans in the US.
Yeah again though, probabky me in my soccer bubble, but I think gymnasts come and go. Put a pic of biles and rapinoe side by side and ask 100 Americans to identify them. Who wins?

Yeah again though, probabky me in my soccer bubble, but I think gymnasts come and go. Put a pic of biles and rapinoe side by side and ask 100 Americans to identify them. Who wins?
No idea but Biles was recently on the cover of Vanity Fair. I think she has a lot of fans who don't follow the big 5 US sports.

FWIW she has around 3 times the number of Instagram followers as Rapinoe.

Reactions: mike412 and Fk_Pitt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT