ADVERTISEMENT

MLB Pitch Count

HailtoPitt

Board of Trustee
Jun 18, 2001
Sounds like the pitch count and new rules are making spring games shorter. That's great. No need for pitchers and batters to dilly dally and waste everyone's time. However, I am wondering it these rules changes will actually shorten the game time, or if MLB will cram more commercials into the extra space come the regular season?

so far i like it but the true test starts today. i wonder if umps were being overly strict with it and will loosen upu once real games start..

i love it until the first time O'Neal cruz gets called strike 3 cause he stepped out of the box to fix his batting glove then i'll flip out..

so far i like it but the true test starts today. i wonder if umps were being overly strict with it and will loosen upu once real games start..

i love it until the first time O'Neal cruz gets called strike 3 cause he stepped out of the box to fix his batting glove then i'll flip out..
flip out at who? Cruz (who cannot adjust a glove in the 10 seconds between pitches while in the box) or the ump (enforcing the rules)?

flip out at who? Cruz (who cannot adjust a glove in the 10 seconds between pitches while in the box) or the ump (enforcing the rules)?
lol, good point. overall, i like this. you dont need to fix your gloves or pads or step out and sand your bat down after every foul pitch..

The umps will increasingly ignore or stretch out these timing rules. I don’t see the pizza box base size really having any effect either The teams won’t be able to avoid the shift restrictions, at least… too visible.

The umps will increasingly ignore or stretch out these timing rules. I don’t see the pizza box base size really having any effect either The teams won’t be able to avoid the shift restrictions, at least… too visible.
my neighbor who is a huge baseball fan, rants and rants and screams about the larger bases.. i cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would care either way but it drives him nuts..

The teams won’t be able to avoid the shift restrictions, at least...they already were in Spring training.... For lefties the teams are moving their left fielder to center field and moving their center fielders to very short right field while the third basemen is in the shortstop position and the shortstop is almost directly behind second base which effectively makes it the same shift look as before.........the most amazing thing about this is knowing that guys who make 20 million dollars a year are physically unable to go the other way for almost sure fire hits....

Reactions: KittPitt
my neighbor who is a huge baseball fan, rants and rants and screams about the larger bases.. i cant for the life of me figure out why anyone would care either way but it drives him nuts..

The bases are bigger now? I didn't even know that. As long as they're still 90 feet apart (and I assume they moved them back so that they are), that sounds like a good thing to me. I take no pleasure in watching a middle infielder get his leg broken in half by a dude who is sliding.

Reactions: 614pittfan
The bases are bigger now? I didn't even know that. As long as they're still 90 feet apart (and I assume they moved them back so that they are), that sounds like a good thing to me. I take no pleasure in watching a middle infielder get his leg broken in half by a dude who is sliding.
yeah, i am assuming for safety reasons? not home plate of course. maybe players are getting spiked on slides or something, i dont know.

again, not sure how someone cares either way..

MLB's New Bases Look Like 'Pizza Box', Will Lead To Increase In Steals ...

yeah, i am assuming for safety reasons? not home plate of course. maybe players are getting spiked on slides or something, i dont know.

again, not sure how someone cares either way..

MLB's New Bases Look Like 'Pizza Box', Will Lead To Increase In Steals ...'s New Bases Look Like 'Pizza Box', Will Lead To Increase In Steals ...
Does that not make stealing a base easier in that the distance between bags might be half a foot shorter? Or like a lot of things am I not seeing things I think I am seeing?

Baseball fan's like to view themselves as purists or something. I mean, at least MLB said, "yea, we're changing the bases." Now so far as juicing the ball....

Reactions: h2p_5150
Baseball fan's like to view themselves as purists or something. I mean, at least MLB said, "yea, we're changing the bases." Now so far as juicing the ball....
yeah but all sports do that. football fans calling today's version "two hand touch" with the qb protection and helmet to helmet nonsense. Hockey fans making similar statements, nba fans who say the game back in the 80's and 90s was tougher than this.

I mean, that happens in all facets of sports and entertainment. "Back in the day" was so much better blah blah..

The baseball thing is real though. i think it came out that a different ball was used in some of those yankee games last year when Aaron Judge was going for the HR record.. Think they call it the "Goldilocks" ball. i mean, talk about craziness... Surprised that story wasnt bigger than it is..

yeah but all sports do that. football fans calling today's version "two hand touch" with the qb protection and helmet to helmet nonsense. Hockey fans making similar statements, nba fans who say the game back in the 80's and 90s was tougher than this.

I mean, that happens in all facets of sports and entertainment. "Back in the day" was so much better blah blah..

The baseball thing is real though. i think it came out that a different ball was used in some of those yankee games last year when Aaron Judge was going for the HR record.. Think they call it the "Goldilocks" ball. i mean, talk about craziness... Surprised that story wasnt bigger than it is..
The two-hand touch crowd isn't worried about ruining football as much as they like to see people lying unconscious on the field. I guess I hear Peter Gammons in my head crying about the purity of the game or some nonsense like that. It's almost sanctimonious with baseball. Then funny part of that is the same people sit around and talk about WAR and launch angle like it's something Babe Ruth would have thought about.

The two-hand touch crowd isn't worried about ruining football as much as they like to see people lying unconscious on the field. I guess I hear Peter Gammons in my head crying about the purity of the game or some nonsense like that. It's almost sanctimonious with baseball. Then funny part of that is the same people sit around and talk about WAR and launch angle like it's something Babe Ruth would have thought about.

And transphobes like this idiot....

The dirty little secret is that the bases were never 90 feet apart. The 90 feet to first base is to the center of the base. The 90 feet from first to second (and second to third) is from the middle of the base (second base), not the the edge. The bigger bases actually make first base (and third base) 3" closer to home plate, and second base is 4.5" closer to first base (and third base) than it used to be. Here is a graphic from the MLB web site:

cpqktpkyrufknvsiiwh8

Sounds like the pitch count and new rules are making spring games shorter. That's great. No need for pitchers and batters to dilly dally and waste everyone's time. However, I am wondering it these rules changes will actually shorten the game time, or if MLB will cram more commercials into the extra space come the regular seaso

The idea is for the O’Neil Cruzes of the world to stop stepping out to adjust their gloves. They have enough time to do it early.

The dirty little secret is that the bases were never 90 feet apart. The 90 feet to first base is to the center of the base. The 90 feet from first to second (and second to third) is from the middle of the base (second base), not the the edge. The bigger bases actually make first base (and third base) 3" closer to home plate, and second base is 4.5" closer to first base (and third base) than it used to be. Here is a graphic from the MLB web site:

cpqktpkyrufknvsiiwh8
See if you can decipher what Joe meant here.

cpqktpkyrufknvsiiwh8

I assumed they would have moved them back to account for them being bigger. I have a problem with it now, because I have seen a million plays over the years that were closer than a few inches from going the other way. Jesus, Ricky Henderson would steal 150 bases.

See if you can decipher what Joe meant here.

Yeah, you'd have to be smarter than a third grader to understand it. So no surprise that you can't figure it out.

I mean I even included a picture to help out the slow kids in the class. But alas, it was not enough.

cpqktpkyrufknvsiiwh8
Could have made them rectangles (with second base off kilter a bit symmetry wise) with the same new area and not reduced any distance while still giving more area for safety..Miss. Keller, 10th Grade Geometry, Johnstown High School ... That would have really freaked out the baseball purists...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT