ADVERTISEMENT

More Yellow Flags for NFL Football

You have lots of opinions and love expressing them. Same with your buddies. Good ones, bad ones, weird ones... you do you. Just don't tell people they're wrong because the facts don't align with your opinions.
That's exactly what opinions are, expressing what you personally think is right or wrong. How about you, IN YOUR OPINION. do you think the experience of viewing a football game would be better with less stoppages, penalties or reviews? Simple question, yes or no?

Do you have an opinion of your own, or is your answer always, "whatever the people in charge decide is always the best"?
Sort of works like this, it's their business so they will do whatever they feel is best. The NFL is notoriously good at capitalizing on their market and have done nothing but grow their revenue. There are numerous examples of this in life so I'm surprised you think complaining helps.

You find more entertainment in watching grown men try to kill each other and that's okay for you. The vast majority of the marketplace disagrees and want to see talented athletes make spectacular plays without one questionably viscous hit potentially ruining a season or worse. And personally, I don't care much for the blindside hits and dangerous plays. I played college in that era and looking back, it was barbaric at times. Even the drills in practice were insanely dangerous.

I don't think anyone believes the way they ask officials to call the game is perfect but that's not unique to football. Geez, look at the NBA. But, same deal. Nobody worries about the fundamental rules of the game being crapped all over because the entertainment pays the bills and the majority of fans don't seem to care. You're just in the minority on this one and whether it's some kind of weird macho nonsense or you actually are some kind of masochist that likes to see guys get put into ambulances, I'm certain there is some way for you to find that entertainment somewhere. Just don't be mad that the masses are okay with that being removed from the game.

That's exactly what opinions are, expressing what you personally think is right or wrong. How about you, IN YOUR OPINION. do you think the experience of viewing a football game would be better with less stoppages, penalties or reviews? Simple question, yes or no?
You said that you and your buddies think differently so I'm wrong when I was stating that the facts show people don't care. Please, give it up.

And since you asked, I don't really notice and I don't see the stoppages as problematic. Enforcing the rules are part of the game and players adapt to how the game is being called.

Sort of works like this, it's their business so they will do whatever they feel is best. The NFL is notoriously good at capitalizing on their market and have done nothing but grow their revenue. There are numerous examples of this in life so I'm surprised you think complaining helps.

You find more entertainment in watching grown men try to kill each other and that's okay for you. The vast majority of the marketplace disagrees and want to see talented athletes make spectacular plays without one questionably viscous hit potentially ruining a season or worse. And personally, I don't care much for the blindside hits and dangerous plays. I played college in that era and looking back, it was barbaric at times. Even the drills in practice were insanely dangerous.

I don't think anyone believes the way they ask officials to call the game is perfect but that's not unique to football. Geez, look at the NBA. But, same deal. Nobody worries about the fundamental rules of the game being crapped all over because the entertainment pays the bills and the majority of fans don't seem to care. You're just in the minority on this one and whether it's some kind of weird macho nonsense or you actually are some kind of masochist that likes to see guys get put into ambulances, I'm certain there is some way for you to find that entertainment somewhere. Just don't be mad that the masses are okay with that being removed from the game.
Are you a politician, you can't give a straight, simple answer. And I don't think complaining will change anything, I JUST LIKE AND VERY MUCH ENJOY DISCUSSING THINGS, and giving my opinions, for recreation, not to change anything.

And where am I saying I want to watch grown men try to kill each other? You're making that up, or creating something not there? Having less rules or less replays and throwing less flags won't lead to more injuries! Not every rule, or every flag, or every review prevents an injury.

As for the NBA I never watch it, maybe if the finals get to game 7, I might watch, but in general, I'd rather watch the lesser talent in college basketball play old style games where they religiously follow the fundamental rules, I'd rather see that than an other wordly dunk after 4 steps or a dozen 3-point attempts in 2 minutes.

You said that you and your buddies think differently so I'm wrong when I was stating that the facts show people don't care. Please, give it up.

And since you asked, I don't really notice, and I don't see the stoppages as problematic. Enforcing the rules are part of the game and players adapt to how the game is being called.
OK thanks, that's the answer I wanted, we should do a poll? I don't know many people who wouldn't welcome less flags and less reviews.

It probably doesn't matter to you but the number of flags thrown is down from a few years ago but the internet is always full of Monday morning complaints that calls aren't being made.
I still feel like the refs do too much, are too involved, if the number of flags is down it's not by enough, I want even less. you could fix a lot of the missed calls issues if you used the XFL replay review system, with an official watching the game and stopping play for 60 seconds or less if something is wrong, in effect every play is replay reviewed and you don't even notice, 60 seconds is enough, if it's not obvious enough to see in 60 seconds, with one or 2 angles then it's not worth worrying about. Replay should only be used for very obvious errors, if you need 10 angles and ultra slow motion and look at it for 5 minutes, it's not worth wasting time, just accept the call and move on. Also, in the XFL system, you get one challenge, but can challenge anything, so if you think you had obvious pass interference or holding or something, you can challenge for it, once, which is good, don't want it happening multiple times.

I still feel like the refs do too much, are too involved, if the number of flags is down it's not by enough, I want even less. you could fix a lot of the missed calls issues if you used the XFL replay review system, with an official watching the game and stopping play for 60 seconds or less if something is wrong, in effect every play is replay reviewed and you don't even notice, 60 seconds is enough, if it's not obvious enough to see in 60 seconds, with one or 2 angles then it's not worth worrying about. Replay should only be used for very obvious errors, if you need 10 angles and ultra slow motion and look at it for 5 minutes, it's not worth wasting time, just accept the call and move on. Also, in the XFL system, you get one challenge, but can challenge anything, so if you think you had obvious pass interference or holding or something, you can challenge for it, once, which is good, don't want it happening multiple times.
Most of the time they cut to a scheduled commercial break during a replay so it's not a big deal.

If you think the XFL is cool, check out how pro volleyball does it. You can't even wait until the end of the play unless it was the final action and you only have like six seconds to challenge on an ipad or something. The whole thing is over before the announcers even know what is being challenged sometimes. There's a steep financial cost to it but I think that's the international standard.

Reactions: Pitt79
Most of the time they cut to a scheduled commercial break during a replay so it's not a big deal.

If you think the XFL is cool, check out how pro volleyball does it. You can't even wait until the end of the play unless it was the final action and you only have like six seconds to challenge on an ipad or something. The whole thing is over before the announcers even know what is being challenged sometimes. There's a steep financial cost to it but I think that's the international standard.
That sounds great!

Maybe they can bring back nicknames on the back of jerseys like “He Hate Me” and then have guys sprint to midfield to determine who gets the ball.

WTF is going on around here?
Rob Smart. Played a couple years for the Eagles

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT