ADVERTISEMENT

Morning after question: revisiting the idea that cignetti is one of the worst hires I program history

KennyHeisman8

Heisman Winner
Gold Member
Oct 31, 2021
From the beginning I was dubious about the hire and the type of offense he ran, but it goes decidedly far beyond that.

When you consider the momentum Pitt had and the success they had with a pass happy offense that operated in the spread often. When you consider they had brought in an air raid qb that was used to operating out of shotgun. When you consider that addison left a few months later, even from the beginning there were major red flags.

Then, you saw in the first game last year absolutely prehistoric concepts. At least they seemed to adjust but then Slovis got hurt against UT and they never tried anything like we saw against UT and WVU again.

Then, you can look at having izzy last year. The offense was still pretty not great with a top 5 rb in the country. It depended on home runs from izzy.

It now all leads to this. Phil comes in as cig and pat’s guy. It all falls directly on them. We don’t have a HR back anymore to compensate for the passing game being awful, whether you blame it on the QB or OC, and now you have this. Possibly the worst Pitt offense this century.

They win 10 games last year with whipple at OC or a guy that runs spread concepts. They possibly don’t lose Addison. Maybe Slovis (who’s stat line wasn’t amazing last night but apparently it was a lot on the revivers dropping balls) sticks around and wasn’t bad. Maybe we start pulling in higher level skill players with not having a throwback grind it out offense?

It was so frustrating watching Colorado state last night run up 500 yards, basically but running underneath crossing routes and quick screens out of the spread, concepts we don’t even do.

I know this is a dead horse, I don’t care. It needs to be said again, pat killed the program hiring cignetti. His pride and stubbornness is going to set Pitt back years. My only hope is that when cig is canned he is forced to hire someone that runs an offense more along the lines of what 90% of CFB is doing which is some sort or spread/mesh/RPO type offense, because if he doesn’t he won’t be our coach much longer.

Edit: @Chris Peak and @JimHammett this isn’t a victory lap and will be my last post I start about it this week. I’m just depressed that Pitt had so much opportunity and this is what we got

Last edited:
Reactions: fmi1 and svpig1
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News