ADVERTISEMENT

Article Motivation of a 3-9 season drives Pitt toward 2024

Chris Peak

Lair Hall of Famer
Staff
Jun 19, 2004
Every college football player with any kind of productivity during one season will inevitably have opportunities to transfer elsewhere. But Rodney Hammond said there were three things that brought him back to Pitt for the 2024 season.

“My brothers, the coaches and what happened last year,” Hammond said during the first week of spring camp.

What happened last year, of course, was the worst Pitt season in a quarter-century, a season that ended with a 3-9 record resulting from some of the most consistently poor performances the program has shown in a long time. Previous Pitt teams had bad games here and there; last year’s Pitt team only occasionally had a good game or two.

And that’s not how Hammond intended to leave his time with the Panthers.

“I could say we didn’t want to leave business unfinished. A lot of us didn’t want to just leave with that bad rep on our names. You can’t just go out there 3-9 and then when stuff gets tough, you leave. No. I’m not that type of person. And I believe everybody else that came back, they’re not that type of people. When stuff gets bad, we’re going to stay down until we come up.”

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News