ADVERTISEMENT

My Auburn game day experience

Saboteur II

Senior
Gold Member
Sep 21, 2020
Attended Auburn v Mississippi State and want to share these observations in no order of importance.

1. 11 am start didn’t hurt one bit.
2. For sight lines, vending, comfort and ambiance Jordan Hare tops every college stadium. Better than Shoe, Big House, Giant Erector set, Lane, WVU and Heinz.
3. Jordan Hare sits in the middle of campus with zero parking around it. If you spread out parking to perimeter rather than single defined area everyone wins.
4. Tiger walk was cool as was band performing outside stadium.
5. Don’t know too many pre game traditions cooler than an eagle soaring over the field and landing at the 50. Script Ohio but that’s it.
6. Auburn fans were docile. Can’t tell if going up 28-3 made them take game for granted, but they were never loud. Even booing the worst targeting call I have witnessed was nothing compared to what I’ve heard “up north”.
7. As a kid I remember watching games from the south where some guy grabs a Microphone and leads cheers. It was odd then and it’s worse now. Don’t get into canned pre fabricated cheers. The students cheered but it was more going thru the motions.
8. A ton of students left at half.
9. I think Auburns d coordinator left with them. Auburn only rushed 3 and the MSU QB was able to pick the defense and his nose apart.
10. Best vending situation I’ve encountered. Chick fil et.
11. Crowd was polite. No fans screaming for blood, first born or ref heads on a platter.
12. Students stumbled thru Sweet Caroline at 9 minute mark of 4th quarter. I’m neither a fan nor hater, but if you’re going to do it, give it your all.
13. Wore my Pitt hat and Auburn sweatshirt. Had a few nice comments. No one was vulgar.
14. Auburn band was very good.
15. When did Mississippi State fans start ingesting Prozac before games. That comeback would have had most fans fornicating. Hell, I barely realized they were there and I was on the visitor side mid lower bowl not far from their pep band.
16. Blocked field goals can really swing momentum.
17. Told my girlfriend before the game to expect something odd from Leach. Said I thought he liked being down in a game because then he doesn’t have to pretend to have a game plan. His plan is to score. He was true to form. To his credit no one on the MSU sideline was disengaged, even down 28-3.
18. Auburn has a lot going for it, but pound for pound Pitt fans are much more into the game and interactive. That surprised me. Pleasantly so.
19. I am not going to advocate for an on campus stadium, but it’s clear to me that in a few years the parking around HEINZ and PNC will be gone. Once that happens there really isn’t much difference between Pitt Stadium and Heinz apart from geography. Stadiums in neighborhoods work when they are part of the social fabric.
Last ramble.....loved seeing the Pitt Score flashed every 5 minutes. The scoreboard at JH is far better than Heinz.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News