ADVERTISEMENT

My Louisville Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
That is not a very good Louisville team. Pitt did not appear to miss much by losing Jarrod West. I think they can beat this team at home, but we will see.

Can't say that I have ever seen six team fouls and three technicals in two minutes. What a strange game. The first tech on Hugley seemed very sensitive. No reason the official couldn't have brought those two together and warned them. Just like they do all the time. You could see that things were escalating, and you have to at least talk to them. The double tech and early calls on both bigs basically made it a wash. For John though, just not smart. Can't do it. It is one thing after another. He is so good and talented, but he continues to get in his own way. The spin and finish on Williams is elite stuff. The kid could be special if he grows up and matures. The anger issues that we heard about coming out and throughout last year still seem to be there. Not that he is taking cheap shots or anything, but you can just see how quickly an opponent can get in his head. It barely takes anything. In the second half he hits that jumper, and then is too busy talking to Williams to focus. Bang, fourth foul. It is just not winning basketball.

The other tech on Capel was probably necessary. Looked like he accidentally made slight contact with the official. If he didn't contact, it was close enough to the point that a tech was a must. Then, O'Toole was the one to get the third. Not sure if it was warranted or not, but I know he just did his clapping. Don't think it was intentional or anything, but probably just taken the wrong way. I know that some feel the technicals changed the game, but then Louisville gets two in the final minute to almost blow the game. Just incredible. Almost couldn't believe what I was watching.

I thought Burton was good again. Somehow he just ends up with the ball in crunch time, as I am not sure anyone else wants it in that situation. The kid can just play. Nothing special or elite about him, but he is strong and is just a player. A lot of grown man, playground stuff to his game. This team is best when he has the ball in his hands running the show. Or at least when him and Femi split duties out front swinging the ball.

Mo was good again. Maybe a bad shot or two, I thought a couple of the threes were a little quick. But he is the game changer for this team. It was a rough start, but this is a legitimate ACC player. His length and rawness lead me to believe that this kid can play overseas at a minimum. Not sure of his age off the top of my head, but his ceiling is still incredible. Some of the things he does are just special.

Welcome back Ithiel. What a performance that was. He looked really thin to me, much thinner than last year. Maybe I am crazy. With that being said, you could tell he was a little winded, which is what was expected. Which is why I was so surprised he was able to play as well as he did. So much of shooting is in the legs and I wondered if they would be there. I am sure he is feeling it today, but that was a very promising performance.

Those are the three performances that stood out to me. This season is just the missed opportunities really. The lack of luck is just incredible. I believe Louisville banked in at least three of their three point shots. The game was so incredibly close and just look at the shooting numbers. The entire box score was almost identical. The difference was basically El Ellis off of their bench. He played like Monta Ellis last night. Really nice looking player. Reminds me of Russ Smith from years ago. I think two or three of Louisville's reserves are better than the starters.

The nightmare season marches on. This is an 0-3 team that has lost the three games by 5 points. Maybe this one was a little closer than it should have been because of the technicals at the end, but there was plenty that went against them. They are going to win a couple of games soon, provided they just stick with it. I think Horton needs to get into the starting lineup as soon as Saturday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News