ADVERTISEMENT

My thoughts:

whirlybird optio

Head Coach
Gold Member
Feb 4, 2003
1) How many people made jokes at halftime that the kid in the passing challenge threw the ball further, and with a better spiral than Phil? It’s been said before, but this truly was like Kevin Smith 2007 esque quarterbacking. Or like Pat Bostick. That’s where we are at. In retrospect, maybe every clip from camp which showed Phil throwing a wounded duck weren’t just isolated incidents. And 21-27 against Wofford to Wide open receivers, where again, balls were under thrown, didn’t show much.

I think he’s washed. The emotional histrionics aside, I don’t think he can physically make the throws or mentally make the quick enough reads. And for a guy who has, at max, 11 games here left, Pitt has zero incentive to show any loyalty when it is literally impossible that the kids below him on the depth chart aren’t better than him physically, and likely mentally out there.

2) The subbing on offense and defense is just a complete mess. I get that you want to slow down Cincy, but we must have wasted 3-4 valuable minutes over the course of the game subbing because they subbed on offense. On our offense, the RB rotation makes zero sense. I would actually understand it if they said, “we like Carter. Tough RB. He gets 15 carries”. But instead really no one gets the ball, none of them caught passes, I don’t know what we are doing.

3) Means and Bart had a couple drops, but none of the passes were on the mark to them. Yes they should help out the QB, but there were touchdowns, and lots of them out there, with a competent QB.

4) Best players on this team right now are Mumpfield, Hayes, and the cornerbacks. I know people get pissed every time the other side completes a pass, but Devonshire and Williams are excellent cornerbacks. How many receptions did their receivers have against them? Not many.

5) I’ve said this before, but it bears repeating. 8-4 last year, essentially playing Slovis 11x and Yarnell 1x is pretty amazing considering the QB play. But, we had a NFL RB, a 1st Rd NFL DT, multiple pro quality players on D at end, safety, LB. We also caught some breaks. We probably should have lost to WVU. We probably should have lost to Duke. And this year, it’s a harder schedule, much harder. @ND is just as hard, if not more, than Tennessee at home. Cincy is obviously much better than @WMU. @WVU is 5x harder than WVU at home. And the ACC schedule all of a sudden looks like very, very few gimmees. BC at home possibly. But even games like @Wake look tough right now; and we get FSU and UNC.

So, this year is going to be tough. WVU is a real test for the program. I haven’t said one bad word about Duzz, and I won’t, because he’s been really, really good about avoiding the spiraling bad season. A WVU win, given his record here, wouldn’t surprise me at all, and in fact I expect it. But it really all depends on the QB. That’s college football. It’s like 90% the QB.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News