ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts

Matt Steinbrink

Head Coach
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2002
- Talking about schematics and what Jamie could or should have done is just silly. This game was decided when the teams got on the bus. Just nothing he could have done. This was one of those games that was not about the x's and o's, but the Jimmy's and Joe's. I can't remember the last game where I thought Pitt had absolutely no chance to win.

- It doesn't mean a whole lot for the season. Heading into the year, I thought there were two teams that Pitt could not beat under any circumstances. Those teams were Duke and Virginia. I am not saying I think Pitt is or could be the third best team in the conference, just that they could beat any other team in a one-game situation.

- This Pitt team can't zone Duke, they shoot too well with too many shooters. They can't man because Okafor is too good and they play two point guards that can penetrate. They can't press because he plays two point guards that are fast and shoot well from the free throw line.

- It is pick your poison with this Duke team. Do you guard Okafor with one and allow him to work inside? Or double him and force him to make the right pass. I don't think he has done it all season long, but he made the right decision and pass almost every time last night. Just the risk that Dixon took. Can't blame him because there were no answers. Rather than allowing Okafor to dominate, he forced him to make the right pass, and then Duke to make the shots. Unfortunately, both happened.

- I do think there were a few things to build on. Jamel Artis played very well. It was nice to see Dixon go out of his comfort zone and insert Jamel back into the game with two fouls in the first, and then left him in with three in the second half. Jamel seems to be building off of his confidence and he is scoring at all three levels. I also thought Chris Jones played well in spots.

- This Pitt team is at its best when they are attacking and driving to the rim. Not only are they not taking outside shots when this happens, but it also opens up the offensive glass on misses. Good things seem to happen when they are attacking, especially Chris.

- I thought Pitt needed to make about 7-8 threes and James Robinson had to play well to have a chance. Obviously neither happened. James is really struggling right now. Not only is he in a shooting slump, but he is committing careless turnovers. This team needs him.

- Nothing has changed for the season. This team needs to win a couple of significant games. Louisville on Sunday is a big opportunity. Outside of Virginia, most of these games will be a toss-up. There will be opportunities for quality wins, at home and on the road. They will also need to avoid losing to the bottom of the league.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News